Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2004 Toyota Tacoma Sport Runner X-tra cab V6 3.4L

Nick Coller, 07/07/2020
2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Five stars are NOT enough! What else can I say...best of the best!!!

What a Mistake!!!

Cravix02, 05/26/2009

I have a very annoying clunking sound when stopping and when taking off; seems like the transmission was slipping, and or the drive shaft was very loose. Took it to the dealership in Greenville, and Greer, and they said it is normal, that they drive like that... What a piece of junk. I bought it believing it was going to be like my old 87, but it is not even close. It also has a whistling sound in the cabin, even when at idle, Toyota also said it is normal, it vibrates, and nobody seems to find the problem, I have new tires and rims, balanced and aligned 4 times, at different places, and Toyota says it is not too much of a vibration!

EXPENSIVE JUNK

santafenm, 11/28/2005

Cannot drive when snowing as transmission linkage freezes in Drive. Have to carry cement blocks in bed so I can block wheels when frozen. Have to wait til temp is above freezing to get into N or P to start. Took to dealer. They didnt fix it - just thawed it out and gave it back to me. Just got out of shop as a rock hit the underside of truck on a dirt road and punctured the gas tank ($700 to fix). I own a $30K 4WD pickup that cannot be driven on dirt roads or in the snow - AWFUL.

Best truck...EVER!Bou

sierratoy, 04/23/2011

I bought my 2004 4X4 TRD December 03. 2004 was last year of the compact size. Didn't want the larger midsize 05 model. Extremely durable and reliable. Off road capabilities are superb. It also cruises very well on the highway. Excellent in snow...deep snow. Only regular scheduled maintenance required.These trucks are the best EVER.

tacoma

jim, 04/12/2005

Interior noise @ fuel economy would be the only negatives. Average 17 winter 19 summer. Was rated at 19 so I knew this going in.

I bought it for quality...so I thought!

EricAB, 02/11/2004

I drive about 100 miles a day; after a few months of spending about 60-80 dollars a week just to get to work I decided on a toyota 4door tacoma after a little research I found they are horrible on pollution & gas(17mpg hwy POOR) but I had my heart set on this model so I bought it. I ended up regretting (don't go to Toyota of Claremont) they're tactics are unsavoury!

Only one problem.

Roye, 03/04/2005

I get 19-21 mpg it's ok. Clunking noise after stopping and then taking off agian. Doesn't do it every time, but it drives me nuts when it does. Feels like drive line is binding up. Sounds like I don't like the truck, but I do. Can say I've ever had a real problem. Rough ride, gas mpg, and that clunk only complaints. Its a truck and I guess I might be comparing it to the Toyota Highlander my wife drives. I had 2 Chevy Silverados (2001&2003)had to take them both back to the dealership to many times for minor problems. Haven't taken this truck back once. The best build quailty out there. I usually only buy American but I finally gave up and went with Quality.

Very well built truck!

martinjmpr, 07/06/2007

Bought it used in Jan 07 when we were in the middle of our 9 blizzards this year! The truck has been awesome, seems to go almost anywhere. This is my 2nd Toyota, my first was an 85 4x4 truck I bought new in 85. Toyotas are popular around here and for good reason: They're tough, reliable and very well made. MPG has been better than the EPA estimate: I get 18.5 in the city and 22-23 on the the highway. V6 is not extremely powerful but it gets the job done. Manual tranny is fun to drive and gives decent economy as well.

My review of the best truck ever!

SRakaSSS, 08/23/2004

This truck has been my favorite of all time. I have always had a Toyota truck and always will. This truck and my previous truck have never let me down. Everything about it is great. The reliabilty of these motors will outlast any motor on the market today. 5 thumbs up.

So many problems

BrianWilliams, 08/19/2004

I thought the vehicle (because it was built by the Japanesse) would be of high quality. Complete junk, exterior trim is already peeling off, transmission (torque convertor?) struggles when excelerating and decelerating on the highway with an automatic and if I hear a mechanic at the dealer say "thats a tacoma for ya" one more time I'll smack him. Buyer Beware on this type of engine, all the problems have been engine and exterior, nothing else seems to be wrong. Also getting a pretty bad rattle at 25K and it's leaking coolant, back to the dealer again.

Owner/operator

l1nda, 06/20/2010

Replaced 5 sets of front brake rotors, replaced ball joints within 2 years of ownership, within 2 years of purchase had to start replacing exhaust system 3 times, replace rear shocks after 3 years of purchase date, brought Tacoma to dealer with frame rust in 2008 nothing was done, another recall came up in 2010 now the frame is completely rotted out and getting the run around from the Toyota company. Want to put new frame underneath vehicle with all rusted hardware this means taking the entire vehicle apart who knows how it will run after that. Want Toyota to buy back vehicle but they refuse to will fight to the end. I am done with toyotas. Drove this vehicle with rot on frame for two years

UGH!

J Williams, 08/28/2010

I ended up with this garbage since I had to sell my toys, get a family vehicle for my wife and I got her scraps of a truck. I commute 72 mi each way during the week and I thought this would be decent on fuel but with lack of power I'm constantly using the O/D feature just to keep up with the diesel trucks on the freeway! I've been very good to this truck and has failed miserably at keeping me even close to happy. Best vehicle to consider if; short commutes, small hauling, and your a midget 4' or less.

BAD ASS!!!!!

michaelMAIL, 09/22/2004

I LOVE THIS TRUCK

Can't beat a Tacoma

photoman, 12/24/2009

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

This will be my last Toyota

Dissapointed, 06/11/2010

Actually this was my first Toyota ever. It will also be my last. This thing is as unreliable as can be. It leaves you stranded randomly and then it runs great for a few days again. The problems started shortly after the 60,000 mile mark, and to no surprise the drivetrain warranty expired at 60,000 miles. This is my last Asian vehicle ever (Had a Honda Accord years ago and it was a money pit).

good but not great

esteband67, 03/18/2009

Purchased 04 Tacoma new. Love the outside looks. Power is good but not great. Dash and controls good. The clock is not visible but who cares. Everyone complains about the 4 cup holders. I love it! Put change in one, water in another, and Coke in another. Still one left for passenger. Only have 40,000 and the water pump went out. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I thought I would get at least 20 mpg on freeway but only have gotten 19. I get 16 in city which is horrible. For that matter, I would have gotten a Tundra. Would of got more power out of it and more room. I doubt I would get another toy. Nice truck, but expensive. Would look for something cheaper next time.

2004 Tacoma 4Dr. 4X2 TRD Limited.

TrackerDan, 09/21/2003

This trucks only 300 miles old; but it is a pleasure to drive, quiet, and well prepared to do business. The 3.4 V6 will be running like new long after it is paid off. A big improvent in the automatic transmission. Cabin noise is whisper quiet. You will want the limited package for sure. A big difference in the seating comfort with the limited upgrade. The stereo is nice. The truck halls you know what. I'm saving up for the turbocharger.

Oh What a Feeling!

Wacky, 09/25/2003

I've owned this truck for almost seven months now. I find that it handles well for a truck.

Unacceptable Comfort

Ernie, 03/27/2004

This vehicle, is probably the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever owned, and my other vehicle is a Toyota Camry, no matter in what position I set it in, it is just not at all comfortable, I realize that this particular review will be ignored (Because of the negative feedback)but I sure wished I had my Dodge Ram back!.

My car

Gabriel Velez, 07/15/2004

it is a nice truck

Incredible

Gregg, 07/03/2007

I have owned this truck for just over 2 years now and have loved every minute. The Tacoma is an all around fun truck to drive. I've been on sand at lake powell, mountains all over, mud and snow, and the thing just keeps going. I love how this truck performs. It has never disappointed me.

Toyota piece of mind

Roland, 11/11/2015
2dr Xtracab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

If you are big the back seat is okay but you will want more room.

Luv my Toyota

Dan Ross, 07/23/2016
2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased truck at All Star Toyota - BTR. The truck developed an intermittent miss in the engine and the truck was still under warranty. The treatment I received from the service department was poor at best. They treated me like I was an idiot. The other Toyota dealer treated me fine.

Worst truck ever owned

Al, 08/14/2010

Having owned a Dodge Ram, and a Dodge Ram Wagon, which I thought were terrible, this Toyota beat them both out. The Dodges were comfortable to drive, but not too reliable. The Toyota is incredibly uncomfortable on even just a short drive. The Toyota has left me stranded 6 times in 2 years. I have owned VWs before and they were 10 times more reliable than this Toyota. No more Toyota garbage for me!

Great Truck!

Scott, 08/08/2008

I bought this truck in January 2008 from a guy who did not drive it much due to his job. He had it for 3 1/2 years and only had 9100 miles on it. It still has powertrain warranty until June '09. I know have 13000 miles and I love this truck. It is V6, auto. trans., power mirror, locks, windows. TRD package is awesome. It is fun to drive and very capable off-road. The truck looks great and my friends are jealous that I found this truck with such low miles. I have had many offers from people to buy this truck. It is not for sale as I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. I pull a trailer that weights 2400 lbs. all the time and this truck handles the job without a problem.

Great Truck

Driggers, 08/25/2008

Bought my first truck September 2004. Was hit from behind at about 55 mph while I was standing still. It totaled the Tacoma with on 7000 miles on it and put me in the hospital. I lived through it to buy another one before the larger 2005 Tacomas come out in November. I had bought another in Fort Worth shipped from Houston in November. I was asked why I bought another little truck exactly the same? The little truck saved my life and after three roll overs, after being hit from the rear the thing was still running, so quiet that it was still running till I turned it off. This is a great truck and I have its sister truck with about 31k four years later. You can't find a better little unit.

Pot hole eater

Jeff, 04/06/2009

Purchased 04 standard cab new, basic nuts and bolts truck. I did put a cab cover on. The thing that stands out most on this truck is its durability. I live in a city that has lots of bad roads, and while Honda CVCC's are tiptoeing around pot holes I plow right through them, and love to look in my rear views at expressions of awe. I did have to replace the front brakes at 45K, but other than that it's very reliable and a blast to drive.

60000 Mile Review

DanB, 01/05/2008

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Solid truck

dave, 08/04/2009

It's a good, solid compact truck. The clock is poorly located, the truck "thumps" when stopping and starting and feels like it's almost airborne on the freeway. With the TRD package, the ride is harsh. Beyond that whining, the truck handles well, has good headroom, and all the power I need (I did improve its breathing by adding an additional port on the filter box to allow more air in. It's been reliable, with no problems other than what I noted above, except the dash rattles against the windshield, which was fixed by installing weather stripping to muffle this sound. My only regret was not getting a 4x4 since it's of little use in snow (the rear locker doesn't really help).

Love This Truck!

Sybaris, 12/30/2009

Found an '04 V6 PreRunner with SR5 and TRD package with only 24k miles on it. Still smelled new! I had an S10 and the difference is amazing. The smooth ride, power, fuel economy, and options on this truck make S10's and Rangers look and feel antiquated.

nice truck

john, 04/08/2010

This is a TRD I bought and am very happy with it. Getting in and out of it is a problem sometimes. The step bars are nice, but then you bang your head on the door frame. The clock placement is demented. I have never been able to see it without looking around the steering wheel. I miss full set of instruments on the dash in front of me, and a locking gas filler. All said, still enjoy owning and driving it.

Love it

Tank, 05/19/2010

I love my Tacoma, i think I have talked about 3 people into buying my truck. The thing is built well, barely have to do any maintenance on it. I got my truck with 23 miles on it, now it has about 117,000 miles. My baby has not let me down yet, it drives well in the snow, rain and basically loves going off roading from time to time. I would suggest my Tacoma to anyone.

Love This Truck!

J Love, 11/09/2010

I bought my truck in late 2003, and it just turned 100,000 mile last week. It has not needed anything other than normal maintenance (brakes need to be replaced, tires too). The worst thing is that the accelerator squeaks. I travel about 30 miles to and from work daily and it gives me a comfortable ride. The V6 helps passing the big trucks (I am glad I did not get the 4 cylinder). This is a great truck! I hope my next Toyota is just as reliable (whenever that happens).

Doublecab 4x4 TRD off road limited

Oats , 09/28/2003

My fourth Toyota 4x4 truck great vehicles

Great truck

Michael, 12/05/2004

I got the base model no power anything reg cab. Only thing I have is A/C and rear bumper and tinted windows. Love this truck the only thing is It should have come with a clock as standard equipment. There is also no clock in the radio. Speaking of radio a CD would have been better then a cassette. Looking at the way the truck is made it looks old school very easy to work on if needed. Also a locking gas cover is needed.

Back to Tacoma

Steve ATL, 12/09/2004

Back to Toy truck after trying Ford & Saturn- not nearly same quality. Had '90 4x4 Toy P/U and loved it. 100 miles a day- great cruising highway and some offroad. Don't miss 4x4 much- this has height and view I like and handles great. Plenty of power and if this runs like my old truck- just change oil and go. Had 150,000 on my old one and gave it to my brother,

CONSUMER

MAP0728, 10/04/2003

LOT'S OF ROOM, GOOD LOOKING, GREAT SAFETY FEATURES, GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY.

Rollover survivor

Deb, 01/28/2005

I rolled this truck after hitting ice in a snow storm and walked away without a bruise. The pros who came to the site said they expected to be pulling me out on a stretcher. I felt secure and safe even as we flipped and I'll buy this same truck again. I'm glad the 2005 model has the bigger back area on the access cab as it was toooo small on the 2004

Tacomas are top Toys!

TOYLC1978, 10/17/2003

Traded in a 1999 3/4 ton Silverado I bought new. This Tacoma carries & drives BETTER than the Chevy! I haven't towed as heavy loads, but it tracks great in town. I've also carried 1200 lbs. of rock payload on the freeway--great acceleration & no change in fuel economy. Love that I can park it anywhere. There's also WAY more room in the double cab rear seat than was in the Silverado. Who says you need a full size truck?? It's truly a Toyota!

great truck

patz, 02/18/2005

I have only put 900 miles on in the first 5 months, put away for winter, love it so far, hopefully gas mileage gets better with more miles, 14.5 in the city,

TRD Rocks

johnny_sarcasm, 03/30/2005

I've done every type of wheeling that you can do, and this thing stock performs better offroad than anything (other than a jeep rubicon). Slight dash rattle but a TSB is available.

transmmision

bell benson, 11/01/2003

hard to shift griding gears.stiff replaced oil special oil better

2004 Tacoma Xtracab 4cyl 5-spd

DaveJ, 11/06/2003

Superb build quality. Everything fits, everything works. Quality materials used throughout. No squeaks or rattles. Interior design marred by absurd placement of clock. Interior cubby-hole space is minimal. Adequate power, excellent transmission, easy to use clutch, strong brakes. Fuel economy is very good for a truck, but noticeably worse than cars with similar size engines. Six-speaker audio system better than expected. Easy to drive, with a fairly car-like ride. Insurance less than the Honda Accord we traded in. Buying experience at this dealership was actually quite pleasant; neither a battle of wits nor an endurance test.

DOUBLE CAB THE ULTIMATE 4X4 TOYOTA

Big Al Double Cab, 11/27/2003

This is my Third Toyota 4x4 Truck and our Fourth Toyota Vehicle. I previously owned a 1979 and a 1992 Toyota 4x4. The 2004 Toyota Double Cab has to be best one to date. We Mountain Bike, Ski, hit the Beaches and everything we need can be put in the truck bed and still leave plenty of room for the family to ride in the cabin with plenty of space. To us, it is the "Ultimate Vacation Vehicle" and my everyday driving vehicle. They simply build the best quality compact Trucks. True they are a little more expensive, but you can't put a price tag on the confidence a Toyota Truck gives you especially in Bad Weather.

Nice but....

David M, 12/04/2003

Nice truck. I've only been driving it for 800 miles now. Ride is a little bumpy, but having said that it is a pre- runner. Build quality very good. Interior look is called "dated", but go and compare it to a new Nissan. If the Nissan is more "current", I'll live in the past thank you. They a very proud of them, so negotiate hard to get a good deal.

Excellent......almost

pdhats, 12/05/2003

A better selection of interior colors. Not everyone wants light colors, especially those with children/pets. You should be able to shut off the headlights when you desire too. If you can now I have never figured it out. Better quality bedliner. P.S. Stop charging for even the ink you use to fill out the contracts. It is definately a put off for buying a vehicle. Stand out amongst the crowd.

My Baby

Amanda, 06/23/2005

A little rattle has turned into a squeaking annoyance. Other than that she rides well. A little bumpy here and there but overall a good truck. And for not being 4x4 she can sure tearup the trails!

2004 Tacoma Prerunner

MaxOut702, 12/06/2003

this is the second tacoma prerunner I have purchased in the last 4 years they are so much fun to drive and are so reliable.

Worth Every Penney

dbatten, 06/29/2005

Well, I've owned my Tacoma for almost a year now and it's time to review it. I had wanted one for about two years and when I found out they were changing the style for the '05 I went in and bought an '04. I'll let Toyota work the bugs out of the new design before I give it a try. Toyota is good, but not perfect and the '04 is basically the same truck they have been building for 9 years. They've had lots of time to get it right. So, what did I get for my money? I got a vehicle that I can take my wife and 3 kids in to get groceries or I can take a few buddies and enough gear to go camping for a week. It's smaller size and high ground clearance allow me to go places where others can't.

Poor Quality Truck

Michael_F, 12/13/2003

Purchased truck from Molle Toyota of Missouri in KC. The truck was delivered to me with a leaky radiator hose & a deformed plastic piece that surrounds the clock inside the truck & several other defects inside the truck. Some of the other defects inside the truck as follows: (1). Flexible rubber cover that covers the seat hinge gets crushed into the hinge when you move the upper part of the seat completely forward, you can check this out for yourself on any Toyota truck. (2). Cutouts in the carpet of the seat for the head rest are too large for the plastic piece that is designed to cover them up. (3). Dash pieces are cheap & do not line up properly.

51050