Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

$12,385

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great Truck, 10 years till my next one!

Jeff Miles, 11/21/2007

I have to be honest that this is the best truck that I have ever owned. It does great on gas. I never have any problem with it. I use it for hauling, loading kayaks, mountain biking. And driving all over the country. In 5 years I have put 100,000 miles on it with no problem. I plan to put another 150,000 miles on it. I just keep the oil changed brakes and tires every two years and she runs like a champ. Great looking truck to. Next time though I think I am going to buy the v6. Better for towing my motorcycle!!

TACOMA 4WD 2.7L 5 SPEED

KEEP-ON-TRUCKIN', 07/01/2004

I've always wanted a Toyota 4wd pickup, and I bought one about a year ago. It took me a while to get used to the 2.7L engine and the 5sp. But I was used to high reving engines, and this one almost runs like a diesel. Keep the revs low and change gears early, and she runs great. This is definitely a truck engine. You can feel the torque on the low end. I had an old Mazda B2000 and Nissan Frontier, and liked them both. But they would bottom out if I carried a heavy load. Not this baby! The Tacoma is made for haulin'! But don't get the 4 cyl if you're always in a hurry. It has plenty of power to haul and tow, but its not a race engine. MPG: 21-22

What do I fix

toyotajeff, 11/21/2010

I purchased this truck when I was looking for a 4x4 and ended up being happy even though it is a 2wd. Other than general maintenance I have yet to repair anything ( in fact most mechanics I've talked to have yet to make repairs on this model). I love my taco and I never had any problems with the interior but I think they had an access of clocks cause they used the same one in my 87 4runner.

Good combination of features

maxwellhammer, 04/08/2009

2.4L automatic, extended cab 2WD SR5. So far, I'm getting 25 mpg. The smallest engine available, but has perfectly adequate power. This is the first year for standard ABS, which was a hard to find option. I searched forever for these features in a used truck, really glad I found it. I hear the '05 and newer Tacomas don't have as good build quality, they're larger and don't offer the 2.4L. If you're looking for great reliability and mileage, I'd get an '03 or '04.

Great Truck just getting broken in

jeff s, 10/29/2010

This is a well built and good looking truck. I am a bit of a neat freak but i do still get comments 7 years later on how good this truck looks. The paint, body and style has held up really well. 2 minor recalls, it has never failed. I have the TRD off road, its a bit bumpy but that's what you pay for!

Wonderful small truck

JimiDGreek, 07/24/2004

I bought my Tacoma last year and I love it! Great on gas,I average 28mpg. Good ride,drives nice. A/C is ice cold. Cab is a little tight for me,I'm 5`10. No problems at all with it. I would buy another for sure. Next time I'm getting an extra cab. I feel it's a better value than a Ranger or S-10.

I cant see myself not Owning one from now on

sevamg, 09/09/2014

Its the most flexible, useful and maintenance free vehicle I ever owned, I bought it with about 55k miles in 2008, it now has over 125k and purrs. Replaced timing belt at 100k, The way its running i think I could get another 100K. It was well worth the money.

Bring the 2.4 ltr Hilux to the USA

RAV1973, 07/20/2010

I love my Toyota Tacoma, first new car to ACT like a new car. It handles really well but certain things are frustrating nuisances: The seats (Camry seats in a truck) sit very uncomfortable- already replaced fabric twice (that's NOT normal wear/tear) the foam breaks down inside. The head lights (replaced 10 times each) since 2003 10X a bit extreme isn't it! The paint (clear coat) chipping off in random places: I had an after market sunroof put in. While some paint chipping is near the sunroof, other areas are not which exclude the paint chipping blame game. I would seriously consider Toyota product: 2.4 liter turbo diesel HILUX if sold in the USA without adjusting down the MPG iow: EPA/USA.

Love this truck

pixieplc, 01/24/2007

I bought this truck because I was moving out west and wanted something to get me through any kind of conditions. Driven cross country several times with no problems at all. Very reliable and stylish, I get compliments on it all the time. I was worried the cost was too high but I haven't regretted it for a minute since my purchase. I will drive this truck til the wheels fall off!

Kick A$$

Sparky451, 07/06/2003

Power great, Traded in an Explorer with a V8 and the Tacoma feels like it's got more get up and go. Got the SR5 w/chrome and TRD in white. Looks real sharp.

The Best little truck I ever own (so Far)

Trey, 12/21/2015
2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the truck used back in the day with less than 80K on it. It now has over 156k and only replaced the brake pads. I have overloaded this truck many times and even pulled trailers with a F250 on the back. This little truck does it all. I have the TRD package and it goes where ever you want it to go.

Fun but noisy

Mr Cheap, 02/17/2003

I have owned the Tacoma for less than a week. Excellent design and quality. I had a Mazada B3000 4x4 V6 for less than 4 weeks, until the dealer could install A/C. No comparison... a rebranded Ford Ranger... The Tacoma is powerful, fun to drive, great traction in 4x4, but noisy. I know Toyota has great NVH engineering (my other car is a Lexus), but not enough was invested in this vehicle.

The little engine that could

ren, 03/04/2005

Well, I have to say that this little truck is great for its size. Off road and this little guy can do it ok. I wish it had about 10-15 more ponies, but you cant have everything right. For the money this truck is great. It's reliable and its gets me from A to B. I wish I had an extended cab for more room but I manage in this one. Regular maintenance is good and easy. There is a weird creak or rattle in the dash at times. Wish it had a higher resale. Overall, not a bad little workhorse.

Tacoma review

jhartt, 09/02/2007

It's a very practical vehicle for light efficient use and is extremely reliable.

GOOD TRUCK

RICK K, 05/19/2003

8 MONTHS AND 4500 MILES LATER, THE TRUCK IS PERFORMING FLAWLESSLY, GETTING 19 CITY & 21 HIGHWAY MPG. GOOD POWER, ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT IS THE TRACTION IN SNOW OR GRAVEL, EVEN WITH THE LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL. TOWS MY BOAT EFFORTLESSLY.

Where do you put your legs?

ChipD, 02/21/2003

I bought this truck as a commuter vehicle. The test drive was great. But.. After I purchased it, and was stuck in traffic, the lack of legroom, and support in the seat quickly went from discomfort to severe pain. I'm only 6'2" but I just don't fit. First time this has ever happened to me in any vehicle. Even my daughter's Geo has more comfortable seats.

You'll love this truck

Dennis, 07/16/2006

You'll love this truck! I had always wanted a tacoma and this truck exceeded my expectations. I've used it for hauling loads to the dump and hauling feed with no problem. Clean it up and it's perfect for cruising around town. "The chicks dig it!"

Dont Pass this one up!

Super-Steve, 01/23/2003

I gave up a Chevrolet to drive this. I only regret not doing it sooner. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Its a 4 cylinder that has similar performance to a V-6 Mustang. Don't believe me, go race one! The ride is very solid and it has no squeaks or rattles. I paid a higher price for it, that other trucks of the same size, but option for option it really cost about the same. Toyota only builds what it needs, so therefore you will not find a "stripped down" Toyota on the lot unless they were special ordered for fleet purposes. The bottom line.... pure quality!

Tough Truck

Michael Meyer, 08/19/2003

The Toyota Tacoma is a solid, quiet truck. Hunters have been amazed seeing the truck quietly approach their camps. The interior is very easy to keep clean, looks like new after a quick vacum and wipe down. Fuel economy is great for a pick up. I am a believer in the quality and reliability after owning this, my first Toyota.

Boy toy that doubles as family vehicle

goatboy, 09/17/2003

Very well built truck. The pros in my opinion: super reliable, great built quality, very fun to drive, the look of 4x4 without the downsides (bad mileage, maintenance, insurance). A great poser 4x4 look/feel for yuppies who'll never leave concrete. I get up every day and enjoy driving this truck, it's just fun to drive. Note: It also has a lot of room in the backseat compared to other extended cab full-size trucks. The cons: short wheel base makes for bouncy ride, it's a smaller interior, and pretty spartan inside. Overall I'm happy with this truck and it also works for throwing the kiddos in the back- seat.

Good Solid Truck

polar bear, 10/13/2003

Bought this truck this summer and thus far I'm very happy with it. Solid, reliable and well engineered truck. For my purposes, the 2.4 litre engine is just fine. I've used it to haul lumber and other loads of junk to the dump. Gas mileage has been consistently at 23 mpg in city driving. Haven't taken any highway trips yet. Highly recommend this truck.

A Real Truck!!!

ex-18- wheeler, 11/19/2003

Have the TRD package, stock, except added a grille guard. Took it up Horsethief Canyon Trail at Lake Mead Rec. area last Sat..Kept it in H-4 the whole time.(Jeez, when do you use L- 4???) Only 'lifted' Rubicon jeeps could handle this trail, except for my taco. Larger 4x4's have to stick to civilized off-roads.

2003 Tacoma

fixandrepair, 08/09/2004

I had '86 Toy P/u and loved it but needed more work so bought a new Tacoma with just the basics. I own (have ownd) many Toyotas and they are low maint/reliable. BUT noticed this is the first one not built in Japan, but in TENN, and I can tell the diff in quality.! Windows loose/rattle, creeking sound in dash, bed liner coming "unglued", paint bubbling up both sides on door at bottom. Only complaining because I love my old TOY and still have a 4rnr I'm happy with. I like my Tacoma (gave it a hi rating) but it could have been built better.

The Competiton is Not an Option

OffRdWarrior, 08/17/2004

Don't waste your money on the TuRD package. Get aftermarket suspension - For cheap get coil spacers, slightly more go "Old Man Emu", or the bucks get coilovers. Aftermarket lockers and your unstoppable.

nice truck/unconfortable pedals too high

Azael, 09/28/2004

pedals too high make a little unconfortable to drive,other than that is good truck(trusted "toyota" owner)

long time toyota owner

altoona, 10/30/2004

Over all it is ok for the money. Drive train is very noisy at slow speeds or when climbing hills. I have owned toyota trucks for many years and would not even consider any other type of maker. I would like to have had a clock somewhere on the dash.

Perfect

Tim in Minnesota, 04/08/2003

Can you spell P-E-R-F-E-C-T? After having experience with other manufacturers for years, I finally stepped up and bought a Toyota. Not one problem, perfect. If you want a great little truck, buy a Toyota. If you want to continue to be disappointed buy something else. It's your money!

Ride is nice

Lee, 01/16/2003

Everything I read said the tacoma's ride was unpleasant. I'm a 6'5'' 210lb guy and im not uncomfortable. I will say though the first week I owned it the seats where tough but thats expected its a new truck! This truck has power and you can feel it while in lower gears. Pickup is nice too. No real blind spots that i see.

I'll always buy Toyota.

Americayay, 03/15/2008

I get amazing gas mileage for a truck. I adore this truck. It's cute and incredibly reliable. The only problems I have ever had have been normal car maintenance problems (battery, tires, brakes, etc.) I also threw it out of alignment jumping train tracks at 16. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's powered by a 40 watt lightbulb. Absolutely zero get up and go. ZERO. Clocked it at 0 - 60 in 27 seconds. I am NOT exaggerating. The cab is very cramped. I did not know my husband when I chose the truck and didn't realize I would one day marry a 6' 4" 300 pound guy. It's awful and painful to sleep in this truck. Storage space is zero. Overall, this is a wonderful truck. Particularly as a 2nd car.

Love My Truck!

KennethM3, 07/07/2003

Wow! I can't believe I waited so long to buy this truck. It does everything I wanted a truck to do plus. It seats four as well as my wifes Jetta, it hauls mountain bikes everywhere we want to go and will soon be pressed into service hauling kayaks and moving us to another city.

Can't Be Stopped by Snow, Rain, Mud or Rough Roads

DANIEL, 03/14/2016
2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck for light hauling, fishing off the beach and traveling off road. Excellent ride on street travel. Five speed transmission is smooth and useful with its 4x4 gear box. Except for routine maintenance, no repairs had to be made. Jump seat in extra-cab with storage, rear window slider and rear side windows that push out on an angle.

Love it

love it, 05/28/2008

Love this Tacoma! Thinking now of selling in order to get better fuel economy (steady 20 mpg now) great, reliable vehicle - only negatives are placement of the clock (behind the steering wheel basically) and interior picked up scratches on plastic too easily. Wish gas mileage was better and I could keep it!

I'll Own a Toyota Truck For the Rest of My Life!

Jennifer G, 05/26/2018
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my first, brand new Toyota Pick-Up truck in 1987. Back then, it didn't have a model name. It was just a Toyota pick-up. It lasted me 16 years and 316,000 miles. The engine was still strong, but it started costing me too much on maintenance for other things that were wearing down. I was so happy with my old truck, I honestly didn't want to get rid of it, but it was dying a slow death and beginning to leave me stranded everywhere. In 2003, I wanted nothing else but another Toyota truck. So I bought a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. 15 years and 197,000 miles later, this truck is running like a champ with no signs of quitting on me. Everything is running strong, I've had no mechanical problems, I keep up on all regular maintenance, and I absolutely LOVE this truck. I'm only sad that this will be the last manual truck I'll ever own since manual vehicles are becoming obsolete. But I LOVE manual trucks. I've already decided that my next truck, which will be no time soon, will be a Toyota Pre-Runner because I don't see myself in anything else but Toyota trucks.

Tacomas are a great little truck

Joy Orton, 01/28/2008

These little Toyota 4X4s with a V6 are powerful fun little trucks to drive. They are reliable and frugal on gas. I only have two complaints. #1 They have a LOUSY turning radius. (I think Toyata did this to lower the rollover chance as the vehicle is slightly topheavy and thin... I like the metrics just not having them protect me.) #2 They don't have sufficient leg room for big people. My future wife and I are both over 6' I am longer in the torso and she longer in the legs. She cannot even fit her legs with the seats all the way back. This might not be as bad in the non King cab versions.

It's a good truck

the tacoma, 03/16/2006

it's a good solid reliable truck all the way around.

Pain in the butt!

Joseph Raney, 12/02/2003

Hi, ever since I got this vehicle I have been back and forth to the dealership at least 8 times, that's not including servicing. I just purchased the truck 5 months ago and it's been giving me probs ever since I first got it.

perfect truck

shawnwat, 12/17/2003

My 2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab TRD 3.4L V-6 5 speed is a wonderful truck. It performs great in 4 wheel drive, from the snow to the beach to mud trails. Its 190 hp has more than enough zip to it. I plan on having this truck for a long time.

Completely Over-rated

mhan, 12/28/2002

Within two weeks a puddle collected under the driver side carpets. This truck looks rugged but is built like a Coke can. It's basically a raised Corolla with 4 wheel drive. Chintsy interior - cheap plastic controls, door handles, center console and lousy sounding 6 spkr CD stereo. Being built in Fremont, CA is part of the downfall. They couldn't even include a lock on the gas lids. This truck is way too expensive with little real value.

Fun!

taco fan, 03/07/2003

I love this truck, only had it a week already impressed with the torgue it can produce. Enjoy driving it alot, very comfy bucket seats. Solid transmission, quality.

does very well

Larry, 03/10/2016
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It has served me very well

250K miles and still running like new

Jesse, 07/26/2019
2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Tacoma (extended cab TRD Off Road Package) in September of 2003 brand new with 500 miles. I have taken it everywhere, towed boats, 4 wheelers, jet skis. It has safely transported my family up snowy hills in the mountains in the winter. Nothing can stop these things off road they are champs. Toyota trucks are legendary and this is no exception. I have always taken good care of mine and changed oil every 4-5k miles with Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. The transmission shifts perfectly at 250k miles. I would say the downside to these trucks is the rough ride and lack of comfort. But nobody buys these to be comfortable and luxurious. The newer models have improved with this too. Only issues I've had: -Spark plug wires went bad at 130K miles. Easy fix. -AC Compressor went out at 150k, then again at 175k. I think the second time was the shop's fault. This wasn't a cheap repair but still it didn't leave me stranded on the side of the road. Also was partly my fault for never changing cabin air filter and living in very humid area of the country. - This truck has been a big part of my life for 16 years and I don't plan to ever sell it. There is a reason people are so loyal to Toyota and these trucks. I haven't had a car payment in over 10 years. It's worth it to buy these vehicles.

Surprising MPG

John, 09/20/2008

Just purchased a 2003 Tacoma Prerunner 4x2 SR5, 2.47L. I was pleasantly surprised that on a trip from Boise, Idaho to Lompoc, CA I averaged 23.5 mpg using the cruise control as much as possible and the Power ECT on long uphill grades.

Great Truck

dennis, 10/12/2008

I have owned this vehicle for over two years. I bought it for myself, but it has now become my daughter's primary vehicle. I feel good knowing that she is in a safe vehicle that is unlikely to cause problems for her. Whenever I take it in for routine service the techs comment on how good of shape it is in mechanically.

great truck

ba2ty, 09/17/2002

fun to drive great styling lots of room

Great Truck

robbills, 10/17/2002

The Tacoma is a great all-around truck. The only complaint I have is the high price, but you get what you pay for. I haven't had the chance to take it off-road yet, but on the street it holds its own.

love it

darbytee, 11/04/2002

I got rid of a Ford F-150 4x4 to get this and I haven't regretted it for one minute. i have plenty of space, plenty of power, and I'm getting about 20 mpg, which I never even approached in the Ford. The smaller bed took a little getting used to, but with the help of tiedown straps I regularly carry 4x8 sheets of plywood with no problem. I would recommend this truck without hesitation.

Yoda

dfhdhgdfh, 10/04/2002

Very nice truck, needs more power they would not have the option for the blower if it was not a needed option. The various statements about the positioning of the clock is accurate. The only time the clock can be viewed is when your not in the drivers seat with your knee in front of it. Great truck though the clock is a minor detail.

2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner

dj-luv, 11/20/2002

Turned in a 4-runner to get this Tacoma prerunner Limited. I like the way it drives better than the 4-runner, more power! The 3.4 L V6 is a lot of fun to drive. A good looking truck at high price. Love the TRD off-road package.

love my truck

saucenj, 11/19/2002

love my truck. looks great and fun to drive. smooth acceleration and lots of power to spare on merge and passing. lucky on getting truck below invoice... bit pricey.

BAD GMC

Mr Toyota, 12/04/2002

just bought my 2003 tacoma, traded in a faulty 2000 cheverolet impala. (that was a bad car) so far the truck is simply great, my wife hugged it the other day. "She was happy about loosing the crappy impala too". seats a little too small, clock in wrong place. Seems very solid and well built so far.

51050