Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best Little Truck

Ulysse, 09/27/2003

In the small pickup category the base model Toyota Tacoma can't be beat. Reliability is 100%. I've had no trouble @ all. I live in the Nort East & over the winter made several trips throuout Northern New England & Quebec during a Winter of record cold & snowfall & never once had any problems (pretty remarkable for a 2Wheel Drive ). I do however recommend weight in the back (I used sandtubes) & SNOW!!! tires on all 4 tires. I'm looking forward to many, many miles & years with this base model Toyota Tacoma

depenable

lambd, 09/27/2003

this was an economical buy. it gets me to work, kids to school, and good gas mileage. It seems like it is a solidly built truck and is definately holding it's value so far this year.

excitement

Supralover, 09/28/2003

Very very versatile whether offroading, moving big objects or just to have fun i think it's the best reliable truck on the market today

Fun at 40+

airboss, 09/29/2003

Plenty of power to pull my 17 foot boat in and out of the water. Big enough to haul and tow what I need and small enough to park anywhere and fit into my garage. It has the feel of a much larger truck and the quality and reputation of Toyota were big selling points for this purchase of my first Toyota.

great truck

2k3tacoma, 09/29/2003

Truck is awesome. I had a sonoma before this, and believe me, the reliability on toyotas and performance is much better. Took truck on a 3k miles road trip and ran perfect the whole way. Bucket seats provide much comfort. Overall great truck

TRD Model

rhuezo, 09/30/2003

Just drove off the lot and I am very happy with the initial performance. The truck feels great, rides high above traffic, and looks good! I brought the car home and my neighbors commented on how stylish it looked. The TRD suspension is pretty rigid, but I realize it is a truck. My previous car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which had a smoother ride. On the freeway it can get pretty bumpy..hold on to your morning coffee. The truck has good power accelerating onto the freeway.

Hard Ride

Joe Zebar, 09/28/2003

I drove a 1990 Toyota SR for 10 years & my son is still driving it at 201,000 Mi. I never thought that it had a stiff ride. My 2002 tocoma with the off road package rides very hard and stiff. You will feel every bump in a jarring manner. This is the only complaint I have. The V6 is a little weak at 190HP but provides adequate acceleration. The front seats could be a little longer for more leg support. Fit & finish is excellent. Basicly satisfied with the truck. Ps No recalls & have not been back to the dealer for anything.

Keeper

Pete in Alabama, 10/09/2003

Previous vehicle was an 89 Toyota pickup. Hoping the new Tacoma will be as reliable. After 3 or 4 hours on the road, the firm seats get slightly uncomfortable and 19MPG is lower than I'm used to but it was expected. The ride (on and off road) is great even with the TRD package. Acceleration is OK. Recommend DrawTie hitch receiver and Line-X bed liner. Have towed light loads so far with no problems. Hope to enjoy it for 10+ years.

Resale value sells cars

Troy2, 10/13/2003

We looked at the Subaru Baja and Nissan Frontier as well as the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. At initial impression of ride and interior, we both liked the Ford and Subaru better, but chose the Toyota because of its historically high resale value. Interior cloth that does not seem as durable or nice as our 1998 model. Both were SR5 models, I'm assuming it was some cost cutting by Toyota.

Great Truck!!

Tom K, 10/19/2003

This is my first Toyota. What a pleasure to drive! Absolutely smooth as silk. Solid ride but very comfortable and rattle free. I love everything about it!

Tacoma 4x4 4 door

uvlsalsmn, 10/22/2003

Great truck at a great price!

My 02 Tacoma 4x4

Mike in AZ. , 10/22/2003

A great all around truck.The 4x4 with TRD package works great off road.High ground clearence,with skid plates protecting vital organs.The locking rear differential works great.The V6 has plenty of power,but sucks a little moore gas than I thought it would.A bit pricey.I think I payed to much for mine.If you think you can get a good deal on one,get it. don't hesitate.

I love it

Peter I, 10/22/2003

The fit and finish is top noch. It's a pleasure to drive. I enjoy my truck very much. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

toy 4 trd

mh, 10/22/2003

Perfect do it all vehicle with a great on and off road manner. Comfortable for four passengers yet able to tow, haul and achieve very respectable gas mileage. This vehicle is very reliable, looks good on the town and on the trail.

2003 Tocoma

Shawn Gerrow, 10/23/2003

The more I drive it, the more I love it. It allows a man with a wife and kids to still own a serious truck and avoid the dreaded mini-van! The back seat is very comfortable with plenty of legroom, even for adults. It is comfortable on the highway and competent off-road. I am completely impressed with its off-road abilities, its height and locking rear differential have allowed me to go places my previous pickup could only dream of. To top it all off, it looks awesome too!

It's a Toyota

Dave Grammer, 11/01/2003

You can't really go wrong with Toyota, and the safety that go's with it

Taco Review

Harry Nonnemacher, 04/13/2005

Outstanding vehicle, overall good quality, very user friendly. 21 MPG average with a v6 5 speed. Excellent safety features as well. Plenty of power, very responsive acceleration. Overall good price. A good looking "beefy" truck!

Why didn't I trade in earlier

rivka, 11/10/2003

I had my tacoma for about eight months and let me tell you, it was nothing but trouble. I was at the dealer at least once a month to fix stuff. mostly the power window kept falling off the track and wouldn't go up. also other annoying stuff-the brakes and rotors needed changing after 11000 miles, the transmission shifted roughly, and the worst part was that the dealer didn't seem to know what they were doing. I finally gave up and traded it in for a dodge 1500. so far so good.

Can't believe this is the highest rated

troy2, 11/11/2003

Traded in my wife's 1998 Tacoma XTra Cab to make it easier to move the kids in and out of. While roomier, the interior build materials seem to be of lower quality, especially the seats. The cruise control is over reactive often dropping two gears and adding 5 MPH on roads where I can maintain speed without downshifting. Shop others first. We only bought ours because of the resale value.

billu, 11/12/2003

After comparing all trucks in this class the Toyota by far offers the most for your money. I own a 4-runner with a 3.0 and it has trouble with mountian roads. This Tacoma powers up the hills with no problem. Ride and handling is about the same as other trucks with an off road package.

i love it

mphilp, 11/17/2003

my double cab tacoma has everything i wanted. trd suspension, premium sound, power everything, all with the convenience of cloth seats. i surf, snowboard and love the outdoors, and this truck, even without 4wd, is nearly perfect. it wasn't cheap, but my first truck was a yellow 1977 toyota that was first owned by my grandparents and now my sister and has never needed a major repair. i think it's worth the money

I like it

Mark, 05/17/2005

This is the 4th Toyota truck I've owned. It has been highly reliable; no surprise repairs. I would not consider another truck. My only complaint is unstable feeling at high speeds; this goes away with weight in the bed and I have taken to hauling a few bags of sand around.

A Good Recomendation

glade 007, 11/30/2003

I use this truck for everday use. This includes towing, hauling, and some off- road use. The truck has performed nicely with no problems.

Great Small Truck

Pilgrim, 11/29/2003

For a small truck this is really comfortable to drive and easy to get into for large people. Your passengers are comfortable and at ease while riding in this truck.

Toyota 4 door

Toyman of San Diego, 12/03/2003

I have always owned a Toyota and I know I am paying extra for this privilage! Tiyota will last for 150k to 200k miles with just an oil change! They are worth every penny!

Very Impressive after 6 months!!

G Williams, 12/05/2003

Waited 6 months before writing my review and happily report that I have not had ANY problems. Build quality is great. Resale value is excellent. I get many compliments from strangers...."nice truck". Being very particular about my vehicles, I compared the Toyota with it's competition. Found the Totota to be a more attractive total package. My wife and I both love the room the 4 door model offers. I chose the 2.7 liter engine over the 3.4 due primarily to the 4 cylinder's established history for bullet proof reliability. I gladly traded off the performance for better fuel economy ( 23+ mpg around town!) Plan on keeping my truck many, many years!

A truck to last

Skywookie, 12/06/2003

Just a great truck that there is no need to worry about it lasting in the long haul

S-Runner Tacoma

S-RunnerPete, 12/07/2003

The S-Runner is a truck that is difficult to acquire. It took me almost a year to finally get mine. Speaking with other S-Runner owners on- line, they've had similar experiences. This truck is a real blast to drive, with it's 190 horsepower 24 valve V-6. Front and rear sway bars, Tekico gas shocks, and 5-spead transmission, make this truck a "real sleeper". Fuel mileage isn't bad for all the performance one gets in this S-Runner package. I personally have gotten 26 mpg on a trip. The reliability is typical Toyota, and that's a good thing. I am very happy with this truck.

Best ever owned

D Powell, 06/29/2005

Best well-made vehicle ever owned. Everything just seems to have been efficiently and ergonomically designed with the driver's needs and comforts in mind. Construction appears to be made with sound materials and involves quality engineering. Detroit needs to look closely here at a winner.

wouldnt buy another truck..no wy no how!

emptyn, 12/16/2003

i have had three tacomas but bought the 4 door for and expanding family..always reliable no matter what i have worked at toyota for 7 years and wouldnt think about buying another vehicle if i were forced too

The Best

jonjon38, 12/17/2003

This is the first truck that I have ever owned that has met the durability and dependability that no other has been able to give to me.

looking good

jimml, 12/19/2003

Engine and performance better than my old Ford 150 V-8. Better everything, and reliability is why I bought this truck, as well as the fact that it is the best looking compact out there. Good to know it can tow up to 5000 lbs. when I'll need it this summer. Couldn't find the clock for the first few days - placed in awkward place. Interior could use an upgrade.

Third and last Toyota truck

Jess01, 12/23/2003

This is my third Toyota truck, all different models, and I have been continually disappointed. It's a fun ride and I feel safe driving it. However, I've expererience the same problems with all three models. I think 6 years is long enough to work out the kinks. If all you're looking for is a safe, fun rugged vehicle than this is it, but I recommend not upgrading to get all the options as you'll be disappointed with quality vs. price tag.

QUALITY TRUCK

MATERV, 12/23/2003

VERY RELIABLE VEHICLE ON AND OFF THE ROAD. MY TACOMA HAS ONLY THE TRD OPTION AND IT DRIVES OFF-ROAD LIKE A FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE, BUT IT IS NOT. I WOULD RECOMMEND THE PRERUNNER, FOR IT'S HEIGHT AND EXTERIOR LOOKS.

Truck lover

toyotafan11, 12/23/2003

I owned a 1986 standard bed Toyota 4x4 4cyl. 5sp for 9 years and had 125,000 miles on it before it was totaled. After that I purchased a 1995 Corrola which had 330,000 miles before tading it in on this 2003 Toyota Tacoma xtra cab, V6, 5 sp. I hope to enjoy this Toyata as much as the other 2. I loved the 86 truck and wanted to own another truck. I would only purchase Toyota because of its dependability. I purchased the truck Nov. 2003 and enjoy it except for the gas mileage.

after one year old report

skyking85711, 01/04/2004

From day one when i went looking for a small quality pick-up truck i knew it was going to be a toyota tacoma 4 - cly 5-spd man. with air and stereo power sterring & power brakes.i never even test drove it as i drove it from the parking lot to in front of the dealership they wrote up the paper work i signed it and left with the truck ,i miss not having a clock and trip-ometer but have learned to live without.tacoma A-OK in my book.

Gotta love your toyota

akgrowntoyotagal, 09/23/2005

Great vehicle and gets great mileage for a truck. Toyotas will last forever. 4-door cab is great. My cab has more rear seat leg room than my boyfriend's big Dodge diesel truck. Not happy with lack of interior storage space. I bought a snugtop supersport truck shell to take care of that problem. Shell looks great on the truck. Little spendy, but worth it. Worried about the automatic transmission - getting a strange clunk sound when I am comming to a stop or when I first start accelerating. The fan power of the air system could have more power.

my toy truck

gpzsteve, 01/10/2004

truk handles very well and runs great.i wish it got better gas mileage

Nice Truck

Dan Moore, 01/10/2004

All in all it is a great truck. Everything works and it has a good feel.

Good Looking Exterior

Skit, 01/17/2004

Purchased my 2003 in Sep 2002 off the lot. Leather package but in my excitement I didn't realize until the next day it had no cruise control. For what I paid cruise should not have been an option. Truck is very roomy and quite powerful.

enjoyed my 1995 tacoma more

bslashbar, 12/13/2005

This is my third toyota, I doubt I will be buying another Tacoma because I don't believe the quality is the same as the 1995 model I had. Got nearly 300K on it and I can only hope this one will give me half as good of service. Fuel mileage and power are both lacking in my 03 (avg 18 mpg) and the comfort, noise level and interior design seems to be lacking quite a bit. Have had some trouble geeting std trans to shift into reverse several times and had to move forward in order to get into reverse. Cup holders are really of no use as they are in the way and will not hold cups very well.

Originally a Chevy guy

aspry, 12/14/2005

Never thought I'd buy anything "foreign" but I'm glad I did. This is one great truck and can actually be used like one.

Great Truck

yurets, 03/09/2006

Love my truck. Looks good and drives great. Hauls trailers and whatever else needed.

Great Non BETTER Excellent

jp773, 03/31/2004

We’ve owned GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Honda, VW and Toyotas. Honda was Excl but can't beat a Toyota. Owned Trucks and Corollas. Now have a 94 Corolla Wagon, 2000 Tacoma SR5 and a 2004 SR5 Tacoma Double cab. Toyota wins, fuel economy, dependability, Reliability, performance, workmanship, and looks. ALL CARS DEPRECIATE a lot faster than any Toyota. Toyotas appear to hold their more than any other. Toyotas and Lexus are our ist choice and may consider an Acura or Honda as our 2nd. I do not work for Toyota but their product is so good that I wish I owned the company.

Great Truck

Steppy89, 04/11/2004

The best off-road/on-road stock truck money can buy. The truck handles great on the highway where I average 20mpg. Every time I have taken it off- road on either a beach or a trail, I am amazed how well it preforms. The size of the truck for me is perfect; fitting all my "stuff" in frequent trips to and from college is a huge help. With Toyota's reliability the Tacoma is a great truck.

Good Basic Truck

ToyotaTom, 05/04/2004

I like it. However it is not for tall folks. I am 6'4" should have bought an exta cab.

Good Truck with a Thirsty Engine

road2cycle, 06/04/2004

Pros: No mechanical problems so far Stylish exterior Comfortable seats Sufficient interior storage Engine has sufficient power Radio, AC, Heater controls in easy to reach locations Deep cupholders Great view of the road Cons: Gets blown around in crosswinds Poor gas mileage (17mpg - 60% highway and 40% city) Rough ride on bumpy roads Clock is in a bad location Gear shift rattles on bumpy roads Baby seat doesn't fit in rear Pillar and headrest block view over left shoulder (driver)

My Taco

Greg Sperry, 06/12/2004

I really love this truck. It has all the features that I wanted in a vehicle and I know about Toyota's Quality from owing a Camry. If you want something that will last and bring home the bacon so to speak, get yourself a Toyota. I have a friend who had a Tacoma and was involved in a wreck the truck was rearended and rolled she came out of the crash with just some minor injuries if she would have been driving anything other than a Toyota she would not have made it.

Fun to drive

F014tomcat, 08/09/2004

7,000 miles on it with only one minor problem. A hose to the coolant came loose, and I lost the cooant, but they fixed it. TRD package is great. Off roading is a breeze with the locking differential. Average mpg is 16-17.5, not great. Clock is in horrible position. Interior does look a bit cheap. I too have a rattle, that I cannot find. A little pricey, but so far worth the money. I love driving it.

My Little Mule

John W. Angel, Jr., 09/21/2004

TRD Package could do without, downshifts hard when cruise is on and going up a grade, however i've had this truck less than a year and have over 33000 miles on it and its ran trouble free. It is a good riding truck. Get rid of the BF Goodrich tires. I have slid out of control with these tires. Put the Walmart Conten. tires on it and so far I havent had this problem continue.

51050