Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Their's a reason they are expensive!

jc9995, 12/15/2002

Please, if you are buying on price alone, dont buy! I started down this road (no pun intended) of purchasing a new truck with the mindset of lowering my monthly payment. Well, I did that, and I didnt have to settle for a Ranger either. Toyota offers an amazing number of creative finance options, all designed to get you into the truck of your dreams, at a payment you can afford. Yes, they are expensive, but then again, the manufacturer should know what their product is worth. The fact that this is the ONLY four wheel drive truck recommended by Consumer Reports to purchased as used says enough to me.

wind noise

first toyota, 12/24/2002

since I drove off the lot my truck had a major wind noise coming from the drivers a piller where the door and the windshield meet. the dealer still can't find a cause so I guess I'll have to fix it my self!

Good truck, a few problems

jimwhoboughtatruck, 12/26/2002

This truck has 2500 miles on it now, and I have noticed a few problems. The steering wheel is in the way of the clock, and I have to lean over to see it. About half the time, the truck takes two tries to start. I have no idea why a brand new vehicle would not start on the first try. Since I bought the truck, a few rattles have developed in the interior. One is the cover for the passenger side airbag on the dashboard rattling. I haven't tracked down the other rattle yet. The clutch petal just started squeaking every time I press it down.

Lots of fun If you don't mind a toy

upgraded, 01/06/2003

fun to drive for about 1 hour.... looks great truck... always gets the looks....good speed for the power plant...

tacoma

fred234, 01/05/2003

Needed 4wd and this was best available w/ options that I wanted. Use to tow 18' boat and general hauling. Good power.

Excellent

hazard767, 01/12/2003

i researched this truck and many others and test drove nearley every major manufacture's truck i could find in san diego. when i finnally settled (no contest) on my 2003 tacoma xtra cab prerunner TRD (V6) this truck is by far the best, most comfortable driving truck out there. at first my impression was that this truck would have a stiff freeway ride and be bumpy as hell due to the off road suspension, but i was very wrong. a surprisingly smooth and quiet ride! and handles extreamley well off road, so if your looking to spend some money on a quality truck....this is what you need.

2003 Tacoma PreRunner V6

Adgirl, 01/16/2003

A truck even a girl likes to drive. Replaced a 2000 4Runner for the Double Cab Limited edition with TRD package. Added a hard tanneau cover (Snug Top) that I love. It's a must for saving gas and locking up gear. Heard Toyota is looking to offer it as an option. Everyone is right about the clock, you can't see it in the driver's seat. Dials and gadgets could be updated. The double cab is awesome and provides lots of room. Way better than an SUV.

Feel in Control of the ROAD!

MANDO60, 01/22/2003

The truck is awesome! Im 20 years old and I still don't know if I got a great deal on it or not, all I know is that I love it for what it's used for. The price I ended paying for the truck was $21,500 but I had to tack on $1,500 from an insurance settlement that did not end so well. The truck handles awesome! The pick up is very impressive concidering that it is a 4 Cyl. and the room is GREAT! You get enought leg room in it to SLEEP THERE!!! I've done it! Just once, the seat was not too confy, but it did the job. People love it! When they get in it they want it! All my friends want to test drive it due to the couple specs that I have added to it.

I'd take this offroad.

holtonj007, 01/25/2003

A solid truck with unbeatable reliability.

2 Wheel drive Tacoma

Magyarorsag, 01/25/2003

This is the 5th Toyota Pickup I've owned. Excellent vehicle for just about everything. Gas mileage is reasonable, reliability is outstanding...typical Toyota workmanship. I'm considering purchasing my 6th Toyota pickup, with luck a Toyota Tacoma S-Runner. You can't go wrong with these Toyota trucks.

It's good to be back with Toyota

Pierceu2, 01/28/2003

The last toyota I owned, a 1983 pick up had over a quarter of a million miles on it when I sold it , and was in about the same shape as the 2000 nissan I bought to replace it with after only 60,000 miles. I strayed away for a cheaper price in 1999 and wound up payed the price in the long run. It's good to be back in a solid riding vehicle again that I can drive and drive with no worries.

2nd Tacoma - like the 2003 even better

acf2001, 02/16/2003

Had to settle on the stepside bed, 5M, extended cab, 4wd, but love this truck... husband totaled the last one a month ago and the insurance company reimbursed us very well - this truck holds its value as well as it is a safe truck. Husband flipped it 2x in the air due to ice and walked away unharmed. Last one, 2001, was nice, but new antilock brakes standard is a plus on the 2003. Solid feel and high profile make this fun to drive.

Great Ride, Poor MPG

rsl, 02/20/2003

Almost new, but mileage far below sticker numbers. Ride is solid and comfortable (with exceptions below). No squeaks, rattles or wind noise. Exterior styling second to none, interior style flawed. Clock positioned so you have to lean forward to see it through steering wheel, and console so far back that it's not accessible while driving. Seat back is poorly designed for me (6'2"), but might improve with time. Driver's seat won't slide forward like the passenger seat for rear access. Engine performs well, but if you try to drive faster than a little old lady you can almost here it drinking gas. The anti-lock brakes are excellent on wet pavement.

2002 Tacoma

marc golden, 02/19/2003

Traded in my 95 F-150 4x4 for this truck and that was the worst mistake I ever made... Within in the first 2000 miles I had that great dash rattle, door panel loose and other annoying sounds coming from the interior. Had the rear brakes replaced at 3000 miles b/c I was getting a vibration through the steering wheel. The truck is terrible when there is any kind of wind blowing, feels like your gonna be blown off the road. This is also one of the worst trucks I have ever driven in the snow. First and last

Srunner Rocks

Srunner, 02/21/2003

What a great truck. The Handling is super and the engine is great. The V6 with 3100 pounds can really make this truck move. So far I've clocked over 27K miles and no problems... haven't visited the dealer other than oil changes.

Fun Truck -Sharp

BW'sTacoma, 07/10/2003

I went to an auto show in Dallas and loved the Tacoma the most out of all the trucks there. I went and bought one a month later and have been very impressed with it. It is very tight, sturdy and fun to drive. I love pretty much everything about this truck.

A Recent Convert

frmiami, 07/12/2003

First change from Ford in 17 years. Am impressed with the looks, performance and tightness of the suspension. Agile in handling and braking. Spartan in the interior design, but functional except for the clock. Am very impressed overall and happy with the purchase.

Awesome Power and Looks

Hutch, 07/12/2003

The back has plenty of leg room and the A/C is nice and cool on those 100 degree Georgia day.

Great Buy

Brookieman10, 07/17/2003

I had 91 Nissan 4x4 that just rusted away The V6 was very thirsty and in town 4x4 driving was in minutes of driving not mpg. I needed an economical replacement with an xtra cab. A replacement 4x4 4 cyl was ~ $8000 more (Canadian) So my next choice was the pre runner 2.7 l having the same horse power as my Nissan V6 and better mpg. Would definitely recommend the 2.7 l if you want a 4 cylinder truck to boot around town cheaply. Reliability of Ford/Mazda was worrysome. Nissan was better equiped but 6.9%

One Tough Truck

Natphog, 07/26/2003

This is my second Tacoma. Traded in 2001 extra cab for double cab as I needed more room, which I love. Toyota's reliability and fact that I had no problems on 2001 with over 35000 miles on it was main reason for trading. Dealer made an offer that was much better than I expected. I considered other trucks and some SUV's, but Toyota's quality and chance of fewer problems was deciding factor.

Another GREAT truck

bravo22, 07/27/2003

I work for plumbing contracting company and we have several Toyota pick-ups, one has over 400,000 miles! All are bullet proof tough and reliable. The 2002 4WD Xtra cab that I drive is no exception. I have had a dash rattle and that is it in the problem dept.

tacoma 2wheeler

calijackel, 07/29/2003

i really like my new truck but it is a little crowded and the interior design is pretty plan. those two flawed features i don mind too much but wut really bugs me the most is the fact that i cant have a manual transmition in my 2 wheeler. but its still pretty fun to drive.

Toyota Quality

Braylen, 07/30/2003

I have owned many Toyota trucks in the past, and they have all been extremely reliable. I am sure this truck will be no different in that aspect. If you are looking for a quality compact truck look no farther than your local Toyota dealership.

Great Truck

jay ramsey, 08/01/2003

I drive a great truck. My Tacoma is an all around well balanced good 4wd. It has great ride quality. It is a fun vehicle to own.

Only one complaint

Blairnative, 08/04/2003

I like this truck, I like it a lot. If this truck does not last me for 15 years I will be surprised. Just traded in my 1990 Toyota for the 2003. Love the rear differential lock, love the improved console. Why on earth they couldnt move the damned clock is beyond me. Its the only weak link in the whole damned thing.

I love what it does for me

butzokoy, 08/06/2003

My family has owned Toyota trucks for many years without a problem. Well I think I'll stick to the our tradition because I love this truck from it's rugged design and power of the engine when I haul my jetski. And with the TRD package I have no problem going off road when I go hunting. I love this truck and what it does for me.

Toyota Tacoma

Dane Coleman, 08/17/2003

The plain Tacoma truck run okay. Not enough of power in the 4cyl. Just little more torque. Cheap seats and interior doors. Thin metal bed and box. The truck should be about 2" higher off the ground. Could be quieter in the cab while the engine is running/ 4cyl

Great truck

howie, 08/23/2003

This is the first truck that I've owned and don't regret my decision to buy it. The double cab bed is a little small but adequate. I had a spray-in bed liner put in versus the drop-in shell that Toyota offers. I drove an Accord for several years and its taking me some time to get used to the difference in gas mileage.

One tough little truck.

autow, 08/26/2003

I traded an 02 tundra 4x4 for this 03 tacoma dbl cab 4x4 w/trd and i couldn't be any happier with my decision. It fits me a little better than the tundra but i do miss the v8 pwr. The truck has plenty of room and my wife can drive it much easier than the tundra. I have always been a toyota truck person and will continue to be in the future. Only 1 issue i have with this truck is that it does need a bigger v6 with at least 225-250 h.p.

my truck

joshua skinner, 08/31/2003

only have had great things with toyota. this new tacoma so far is the best yet.

03' prerunner double cab

Clintsparks1, 09/02/2003

Love it more every time I drive it!!!

eighties flashback

Dollar, 09/02/2003

Its hard for all of us to believe the price they get for Toyota Tacomas. While relaible ,they are some of the lowest quality interiors next to Kia,s. The small back window,cheap plastic bits and door panels a 5 year old could rip to shreds.Tiny,tinny,and dated comes to mind .I can,t wait till the New Titan by Nissan comes out so I can flog this truck to them .Toyota better update soon ,people are getting on to them .

Typical Toyota

R. P. Petersen, 09/06/2003

This is my 9th Toyota purchase and the quality and appearance is second to none. I briefly owned a Honda Pilot and with less than a year ownership I was more than glad to rid myself of it. Regardless what others say about the Honda product Toyota is still head and shoulders above them. Attention to detail, reliability and resale value will keep me a Toyota customer for quite some time. Good job Toyota!

Not Bad at all

cstulz, 09/12/2003

Just purchased 30 days ago. Had minor problems with dash installation. Biggest issue with automatic is the idle speed. Dealer says it can be adjusted slightly through computer chip. Overall, I am very happy with the build quality and performance for the price paid. Also have a 98 4Runner V6 with 104,000 miles.

Wife wants one too, can't have mine

troutfinder, 09/10/2003

Had this truck a short time but so far I love it. Can't wait to use it to tow old boat instead of 1980 F-150. Handles great. Rides great. Looks fantastic. Well laid out and easy to use controls, such as 4WD High. And beleive it or not I can see the clock easily and like its placement because you are not always staring at it. Love the look of this truck in TRD SR5 trim, looks like its been to a custom shop. Dealer was very pleasant to work with (Arlington Toyota Illinois).

Another Toyota truck for me

thrower, 09/13/2003

I just sold a 1991 Toyota truck. I was the original owner. With 200,000 miles on it, it was still running great, but it didn't have enough cab room for me, my wife and our dog. So I got the Extended cab, SR5 stepside. The V6 is powerful and quiet. Steering is responsive and tight. The truck has the off-road suspension and it seems to help reduce speed bumps, etc. Toyota hasn't lost the touch. It's a great truck.

dependablity

ocoee, 09/15/2003

great value for your money and a great transportaion.

Great Design

dypugh, 07/17/2003

I choose the DoubleCab so that I can carry more the one passenger. I has plenty of room for 5 people. The front leg room needs improvement. The ride is bumpy. I took a trip to Laughlin, NV, and it was a nice ride and good gas milage.

Mr TACOMA

RAMON, 07/20/2003

Great truck. The Handling is pretty nice and the engine is stronger. The V6 with 3100 pounds can really make this truck move.

Starts everytime!

Fletch, 07/20/2003

Great Truck. What else is new from Toyota? I bought mine and then a week later I start noticing everybody is getting one. Fantastic truck. Great Value!

Doing Research Pays off...

ptelep, 08/07/2003

I read Consumer Reports, and the Tacoma is the only compact pickup they endorse. I read lots of reviews online from customers. I read edmunds reviews and the like. I spent a month reading and reading. Then I test drove maybe seven or eight Tacomas and really got a feel for them. Maybe I'm a nut, but I wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth. Well, I sure did. I have a 2003 Gold Tacoma completely loaded with leather, woodgrain dash, bug guard, upgraded wheels and tires, bedliner, lighted color-keyed running boards, and toyoguard (overpriced but what the hell, maybe the gunk works!) This is arguably the best vehicle I've ever owned.

This is the one

Primo, 08/07/2003

Strong. Reliable. Fun to drive. Outstanding performance. THE compact pickup to buy, hands down. Test drove them all and picked the Tacoma.

underperformer

afab, 08/09/2003

This vehicle is pretty well built, but I am about to take it back for the second power steering pump. I experienced the same clutch squeak that the other guy did, and rattles are starting to develop. The biggest annoyance is the road noise that eminates into the cab through the bare back wall of the cab. How much more could it have cost to "finish" the back wall of the cab? Toyota charges a premium price for what is supposed to be a premium product I expected that and was dissapointed. I would still buy another Toyota however.

Toyota Best Buy

Mr. Staab, 08/10/2003

I sold my 89 Toyota after buying my 2oo3 Toyota not because I needed $2500, but because I would never drive it after driving my 2003. The 89 toyota had 125000 miles and never saw a repair or service shop. I performed all service myself, valves,brakes,fuel filters etc. In other words I thought the 89 was the best. The 2003 is 100% better. What more can I say. Toyota is Best!

Killer Truck

Gregor McGregor, 09/03/2003

Just purchased my new truck, so far I love it. Took it on a lengthy road trip with 2 other adults, quite comfy for such an off road beast. Gas Mileage averages around 18.5. Can't wait to get it off road.

Good looking, Stiff ride, Over Priced

Motaco, 09/17/2003

Good strong V6. Good exterior design, possibly exellent reliability. Overpriced. Seats are cheap and uncomfotable. Designed by midgets. Very uncomfortable for a midsized man. steering wheel, Shift lever, gas and break pedals are not well placed. The ride is too stiff and the seats are not cushioned well, bumpy on freeway. The steering is is too hard + poor positioning making it laboring to turn. Uncomfortable long distance ride. Occational rattling noise in the dash board area (nothing new here). Stupid clock position. High wind noise. Worthless cruise control: bad, bad location and jack up the speed when accelerate.

2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 4 Dr SR5

rjtoc2, 09/20/2003

Overall I really like my Toyota. I has a firm ride (which I like) and the V6 has plenty of power when you need it. I am a car care fanantic and so far, everything appears easy to maintain. Washing and drying is easy and is fun. Sitting in the vehicle affords a great view and surprising there are very few "blind spots" when driving.

V6JUICE

rpres44, 09/20/2003

The ride is excellent. The handling is excellent. The mpg could be a little better (17.05 over 7000 miles) but the larger tires give it a 6% error in miles driven (it shows less than it has actually gone). The clock cannot be seen by the driver w/o leaning over. The center console plastic scratches easier than other cars. Removing the oil filter is difficult unless done through the dr side front wheelwell. Draining the radiator requires taking off a large, heavy piece of brush guard underneath. But an excellent choice for a p/u. Should have side visors in front.

Don't have the feeling

jprice, 03/01/2003

This is my third toyota vehicle. For the first time I am concerned about the level of quality. What I am concerned about now were not apparent when I purchased the vehicle. However, now I notice the drivers side door panel doesn't fit flush with the side of vehicle, the temperature gauge sticks after an evening of subzero tempretures. Finally, the frontend makes uncomfortable noises when turning hard left or right when in four wheel drive. I am left hoping I can get many years of trouble free operation as I have experienced with my past toyotas.

First Toyota

kcjam, 09/24/2003

I previously owned a Dodge with such poor reliability, that I switched to Toyota. This truck is great for hauling my family of 4. Great offroad, fun to maneuver in traffic, and pulls ATV/snowmobile without trouble. Bed extender is a must! Truck handling is skittish at higher speeds, and too much wind noise. Otherwise, I love it.

51050