Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Quiet demeanor on the road makes it a pleasant commuter vehicle
- Rides smoothly in a variety of conditions
- Plenty of cargo space for its size
- High-tech safety features come standard
- Modest acceleration from the sole engine offering
- Fewer easily accessible storage compartments than most competitors
The RAV4 was modestly refreshed in 2016 with updated exterior styling and redesigned cabin, but it hasn't been fundamentally changed under the skin since it was introduced in 2013. The segment has heated up in recent years, though, and the RAV4's well-rounded middle-of-the-road-ness has left an opening for the competition. There are sportier or equally versatile choices that offer better fuel economy, but there isn't one single compact crossover that tops all the charts, so the RAV4 is still very competitive.
Edmunds' Expert Rating3.5 / 5
NOTE: Since this test was conducted, the current RAV4 has received some revisions, including a cabin and styling refresh for 2016, additional features, and the addition of the Hybrid variant and SE and Platinum trim levels. Our findings remain broadly applicable to this year's RAV4.
|Overall||3.5 / 5|
Noise & vibration4.5
Ease of use3.5
Getting in/getting out4.0
Which RAV4 does Edmunds recommend?
2017 Toyota RAV4 models
The RAV4 comes in LE, XLE, SE, Limited and Platinum trim levels. All are available with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, and all are equipped with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine (176 horsepower, 172 pound-feet of torque) and a six-speed automatic transmission. Accordingly, the decision on which trim level is right for you comes down to creature comforts rather than mechanical fortitude.
The LE has a decent array of standard equipment, but most shoppers will want to set their sights on the XLE and up. The XLE grants you dual-zone climate control, improved seat contours, the enhanced Entune multimedia system and 17-inch aluminum wheels.
The SE is purportedly the sport-tuned version, though in our experience the handling difference is not significant. In the bargain, the SE comes with different exterior trim, LED headlights and premium vinyl upholstery.
Limited models add 18-inch wheels, navigation and driver-seat memory functions, while the range-topping Platinum trim level (new for 2017) provides yet more amenities and unique trim.
Most helpful consumer reviews
Features & Specs
Our experts like the RAV4 models:
- Pre-Collision System
- Detects and attempts to avoid front collisions by applying the brakes to assist the driver and reduce the speed of impact.
- Lane Departure Alert
- Alerts the driver when it detects that the car is deviating close to lane markings.
- Intelligent High Beam
- Automatically turns the high beams on or off depending on whether it detects oncoming traffic.
NHTSA Overall Rating5 out of 5 stars
- Frontal Barrier Crash RatingOverall4 / 5Driver4 / 5Passenger4 / 5
- Side Crash RatingOverall5 / 5
- Side Barrier RatingOverall5 / 5Driver5 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Combined Side Barrier & Pole RatingsFront Seat5 / 5Back Seat5 / 5
- RolloverRollover4 / 5Dynamic Test ResultNo TipRisk Of Rollover17.4%
- Side Impact TestGood
- Roof Strength TestGood
- Rear Crash Protection / Head RestraintGood
- IIHS Small Overlap Front TestNot Tested
- Moderate Overlap Front TestGood
Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV Overview
The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV is offered in the following styles: LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A), LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A), XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A), XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A), Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A), Platinum 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A), Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A), Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A), SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A), and SE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A). Pre-owned Toyota RAV4 SUV models are available with a 2.5 L-liter gas engine, with output up to 176 hp, depending on engine type. The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV comes with all wheel drive, and front wheel drive. Available transmissions include: 6-speed shiftable automatic. The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV comes with a 3 yr./ 36000 mi. basic warranty, a 2 yr./ unlimited mi. roadside warranty, and a 5 yr./ 60000 mi. powertrain warranty.
What's a good price on a Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV?
Price comparisons for Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV trim styles:
- The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV LE is priced between $19,241 and$27,998 with odometer readings between 11292 and128826 miles.
- The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV XLE is priced between $19,998 and$28,990 with odometer readings between 18574 and124959 miles.
- The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited is priced between $24,378 and$34,998 with odometer readings between 8135 and94873 miles.
- The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV SE is priced between $23,998 and$29,998 with odometer readings between 36206 and89439 miles.
- The Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV Platinum is priced between $29,999 and$31,990 with odometer readings between 13054 and43195 miles.
Shop with Edmunds for perks and special offers on used cars, trucks, and SUVs near Ashburn, VA. Doing so could save you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Edmunds also provides consumer-driven dealership sales and service reviews to help you make informed decisions about what cars to buy and where to buy them.
Which used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUVS are available in my area?
Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV Listings and Inventory
There are currently 156 used and CPO 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUVS listed for sale in your area, with list prices as low as $19,241 and mileage as low as 8135 miles. Simply research the type of used car you're interested in and then select a prew-owned vehicle from our massive database to find cheap used cars for sale near you. Once you have identified a used or CPO vehicle you're interested in, check the AutoCheck vehicle history reports, read dealer reviews, and find out what other owners paid for the Used 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV.
Shop Edmunds' car, SUV, and truck listings of over 6 million vehicles to find a cheap used, or certified pre-owned (CPO) 2017 Toyota RAV4 SUV for sale near you.
Can't find a used 2017 Toyota RAV4 RAV4 SUV you want in your area? Consider a broader search.
Find a used Toyota RAV4 for sale.
Find a used Toyota for sale.
Find a used certified pre-owned Toyota RAV4 for sale.
Find a used certified pre-owned Toyota for sale.
Should I lease or buy a 2017 Toyota RAV4?
Is it better to lease or buy a car? Ask most people and they'll probably tell you that car buying is the way to go. And from a financial perspective, it's true, provided you're willing to make higher monthly payments, pay off the loan in full and keep the car for a few years. Leasing, on the other hand, can be a less expensive option on a month-to-month basis. It's also good if you're someone who likes to drive a new car every three years or so.