Used 2005 Subaru Baja Consumer Reviews

Used Baja for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

JUST got it paid for :( !

SManning, 11/17/2009
Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I have mixed feeling about my Suby. I have had a few problems but nothing prepared me for this: at 71K, I'm replacing the turbo!! JOY! To the tune of $1800. This despite babying it with regular maintenance. I am thoroughly disgusted that the first foreign car I've bought in years is less dependable than my Jeeps and Durangos. I purchased this car for its reliability and planned to drive it 200K. What a rip!

Perfect match for my active lifestyle

Mike Custodio, 08/08/2010
Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought my turbo baja with 56k on it, and racked up 10k in 6 months. While there is both positive and negative attitude about it, the turbo baja matches my lifestyle perfectly. It excels in Back country roads, carrying kayak, mtn bikes, and occasional landscaping items. Performance and handling excel that of a true truck. I love trucks, but I love my baja better. Downsides: Get the Bed ext. Turbo lag and reluctant downshifts sap power. But once you get going, your gone. Frequent oil changes: every 3,000 miles for turbos. My ABS unit somehow decided to fail. It will cost $1200 to replace, dealership unsure what caused the failure. Otherwise, this subie matches my lifestyle and driving habits

Bummed about my Baja baby

ellen, 12/16/2008
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It was initially love @ 1st site but bloom soon faded. 1st issue, dash panels around A/C controls started peeling upon touch, never replaced. Bad experiences w/dealership caused me to go to another Subaru dlr serv. dept when brake problems began & driver window wouldn't close tightly. Was asked if car had been in accident because bolts were missing on one side @ brake apparatus. While under warranty, brakes were worked on @ least 3 times. No permanent resolution on brakes or ANY other issues I ever presented. Extended wrnty doesn't cover brakes & I'm still having problems. Told my family to have car fully inspected if accident occurs due to brake issue - and sue the pants off of Subaru!

excellent work truck

FL inspectors, 08/04/2010
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

290,000 miles in 5.5 yrs. 90% of the time with a generator and tools in the back. Minimal maintenance, record of 220,000 miles before 1st belt change. AWD with FL rain, wonderful! 24 mpg with full load. Very satisfied. A little worried about inevitable future maintenance due to mileage.

Sooby rooby roo, we love you!

Lucas Martin, 05/31/2016
Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is amazing. I love how it looks. It really fits the Colorado lifestyle. Haven't taken it to the shop in two years and still runs like new. The back is really cool. If you are a fun loving personand you live near the mountains, I highly recommend this car for you. It does have a few issues. One is that there are only 4 seats in the car. Another one is that the gearshift is pretty wobbly. But overall, this car is the most amazingest car ever.

so far....REALLY FUN!!

evillabrat69, 08/09/2011
Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car 2 months ago with 87k on it, and have been loving it!! with a 50 mile commute each way to work, its quiet & very comfortable. i've done some light off-roading and have no complaints. my fiancee prefers to take the subie when ever we go anywhere together. no complaints on the 25 mpg. off line acceleration could be better, and the steering column could be a little longer (im tall and have to reach a bit) Overall it beats the pants off the 2001 neon i traded in on it!!! so far this is the best looking, 2nd best performing (1998 pontiac grand prix gt was faster) i have owned. I really love this vehicle!

Our 5th Subaru

john, 08/05/2008
Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Subaru has to be building the best cars in North America. We have now owned a '92 SVX, two Outbacks, and now we have two Bajas. We were very impressed with our '05 Baja Sport, and when the '99 Outback came up for major maintenance, we traded for another '05 Baja Turbo. Wow, fast, fast, fast... gets up and moves like our 6-cyl. SVX did. Our Bajas are comfortable, affordable to drive, and never fail us. It is a shame to see Subaru making marketing errors. The Tribecca/B9 frankly is an over-priced, underperforming gas-hog that few will buy, (we test drove one) and Outbacks lack versatility. Baja was never marketed well, and no one knew they existed until they were discontinued, glad we got em.

Beach Buggy Delux

jhk008, 01/21/2007
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a coastal geologist, I chose this vehicle to use in post-storm beach surveys. It has yet to be stuck in the sand...has hauled all the survey equipment I ever needed (plus 6 students in the bed and three more in the cab), gets great gas mileage, and has yet to have any major (or minor) maintenance issues. Did all the scheduled maintenance on time...had new brakes put on at 40K miles...still running on the original tires at 47K miles and have tread to spare. Recently used my beach buggy to haul 2 12' 2X4s, 8 sheets of 3/4" CDX plywood, 2 square of shingles, and a roll of 30# felt...all in one trip. I've pulled trailers and boats with no problems. Great car!

More Fun Than An Outback

Jim Silvania, 02/13/2005
Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Traded a 2002 Outback for a 2005 Turbo Baja. Turbo a lot more fun to drive and the Baja suits my purposes as a small pick-up. Great car for me. Wouldn't mind a cover for the truck bed but $1,000 a little too pricey. Most enjoyment is to watch all the young kids catch up to me and watch them laugh when they see an old man zipping around in such a youthful looking vehicle. It is fun to drive, sun or snow.

Baja Turbo is the way to go!

trbajalv, 03/27/2005
Turbo AWD 4dr Crew Cab w/Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

A very fun truck to drive, feels more like a car. The AWD set up is fantastic. The turbo is the only way to go, it gives the engine the oomph the normally aspirated engines lack. You notice a little turbo lag on the normal auto transmission mode, but shift it to the sport shifter and away you go. The Baja Turbo is worth it.

12345...6