Used 2009 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Great city cAr
By Chelsey

Great city car

Involved in an accident
By Laney

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Ok, I had someone broadside my smartcar! He hit my driver door going 55-60 MPH! If I had been in any other car, I doubt I would be here to talk about it! Totaled my car, but I survived!

Love it So Much, I named it Smarty Jones ....
By Beth

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Drive it and then decide for yourself. I did and once driven knew it was the car for me. It can be parked almost anywhere, gets about 40 mpg city/hwy. Fuel efficient and lots of fun to drive!

PAINT IS COMING OFF MY ENTIRE CAR CLEAR COAT
By RUTH DUMONT

2009 smart fortwo passion cabriolet 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

2008 and 2009 smart cars have had many issues with the paint peeling off their cars within a few years in spite of impeccable care. I saved 3 years to purchase my car. I'm a senior and the paint is peeling off like crazy. It looks like a car someone got off a wrecking sight. I have taken impeccable care of my car, garage kept, washed with water only, no accident. I brought this to the attention of Mercedes and the smart headquarters to apply for their "goodwill out of warranty process." that's a joke. I was denied twice. I did nothing to cause the paint to peel off and they have denied my requests for them to paint the car or replace the panels as was recommended by their approved place to obtain an estimate to fix the problem. I am heartbroken about this. Yes, it's just a car, but as mentioned i saved a long time to get my car new, and in no way should the clear coat be peeling off the whole car. I have contacted Mercedes and smart and they clearly will not do what is ethical and right and that is to take care of the deficient paint job that was initially put on the car. So, i am using my first amendment rights and i have posted 2 signs on my smart "buy a smart and watch the paint peel off in front of your eyes. smart/Mercedes will not fix this." these people know darn well that the paint job on those cars were crappy at best, and i don't know how they can sleep knowing that the ethical and morale things to do is make it right. Paint my car. I am heart broken. A car i wanted so badly and saved so long for and it looks like crap. People who see my car are appalled but mostly shocked that smart/Mercedes won't make it right. Be careful when buying these cars. Maybe you'll be lucky with a good paint job. I woudln't risk it. It will cost $2800 to fix my car. I'm a senior on social security and i can't afford this, nor can i sell the car the way it looks. Be careful, and don't waste your time dealing with the dealership or headquarters. They just don't give a rat's behind. Their pat answer is, "i'm sorry. The team has denied your request." the goodwill out of warrant process is a joke. So, my only way to get people to be careful when purchasing their smarts is for me to ride around with my signs and get the word out there. Don't know how these people sleep at night. They need to do what is right!

Better than expected - would buy a Smart again.
By R.B.

2009 smart fortwo passion coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

The good:
• A breeze to park. I actually LOVE when it's time to find a parking space, since it can fit in leftover 1/2 spaces where other cars can't fit. If I ever switch to a full sized car, this is the #1 thing I will miss.
• Great gas mileage. Driving around town and running errands, I can usually go 2+ weeks on a tank.
• Gas fill-ups are quick and CHEAP.
• Can go longer between oil changes. Manual advises to use synthetic and go up to a year between changes.
• Great acceleration from complete stop.
• Surprisingly good handling in snow. Its rear wheel drive and the engine is in the rear, so that is good for traction in the snow. There have been a few occasions where I've driven to work in several inches of snow. I've never been stuck (knock on wood) or felt like my Smart was out of control.
• The car doesn’t use much electricity. I've left the headlights and dome lights on overnight and it has always started.
• No one volunteers me to be a taxi, or to use my vehicle to help them move.

The not so swell:
• There is a perception of Smart cars not being real safe for regular freeway commutes. It doesn't 'feel' unsafe when I drive on freeways. It just doesn't give me the confidence and safe feeling I might have in a larger vehicle.
• It doesn't recover its speed once you're slowed down on steep uphill roads. Once you slow down on a hill, that is as fast as you're going.
• On uninterrupted driving over say, 60 miles, the engine gives off a slight burning smell. I don't know if mine has an issue or this is normal. It doesn’t seem to be a problem, but I try to avoid taking it on long trips often.
• It could use a 'wall' between the rear cargo area and seat backs. Unsecured items slide forward and fall under the seats.
• No spare tire/donut. The upside is that the tires are so small that I just carry a high psi hand pump (looks like a bicycle pump) in the cargo, which is sufficient to put enough air in the tire to drive it to a repair place.
• Its skinny-ness is great for parking, but when I take it through the automatic wash, only the driver side tires get washed. The tire wash on the passenger side misses the tires.
• National service franchises don't work with Smarts enough. There is usually confusion over where the engine is, and how to get to it. This resulted in one of them breaking the thumb lever off the rear cargo hatch.
• Not a huge selection of tires for this car. I found 2 brands, and only limited tire stores carry them.