Used 2009 Pontiac Solstice Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Solstice for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

New 2009 GXP

passkey, 05/05/2012
GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car had only 2,600 miles on it when we picked it up in Florida two weeks ago. We drove it back 1,300 miles to upstate NY. Fun experience is at the top. Seats are comfortable but soft top noisey on the road. No storage to speak of but, we brought our supplies in duffle bags. Suitcases are out of the question. Some items can be place behind the seats but only with seats slid forward. 27.2 mpg driving highways and speed limits. Small gas tank (13gals.). The turbo engine is super responsive. It does get the looks and positive comments from friends. It fits the bill for what we were looking for. A 2,600 mile trip in two weeks. Top speed 145 & 0 -60 in 5.5 sec. (haven't confirmed either)

Solstice Overall

Richard Lund, 09/24/2016
2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very stylish little car. The fit and finnish is very good. Like it's look from every angle. Top up or down. Plenty of power, great handling, very good brakes and we have power windows, locks, air conditioning which is very adequate and I love the 18 inch tires on this little car. Holds the road amazingly well. Had a Corvette before this and I get just as much pleasure from this. I think Pontiac did a great job on the design, fit and finish of this car. Who knows what would have eveolved if Pontiac had stayed in business. It seems to be economical and service at other GM dealers shouldn't be a problem. Love the Bluetooth, on-star and CD player. Lots of technology considering this is a 2009 vehicle. Have since moved it to Arizona. Had it serviced at the local Buick dealer and was very pleased on that process. Looking forward to enjoying it in the cooler winter months.

My first year

auto teacher, 03/04/2010
GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am 5'9",165 lbs. male and find the car very comfortable. I have had no failures with the vehicle. I added an aftermarket wood, dash kit and shifter on my automatic trans. The power,window switches are just wrong and the top is a little difficult, but compared to my old MG's not that bad. I know some complain about the trunk, but it works for me. I love the car. I find some of the buff book reviews to be strangely biased towards the Miata, but my GXP is far ahead of that car. Too bad GM was mismanaged into eliminating the Kappa platform, but I got one and plan to keep it around for a while.

Happy ending

Elnathan, 11/18/2009
GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have admired the Solstice since it first appeared. I realized recently that, to buy a new one, it was now or never. Couldn't be happier. Impossible to find comparable beauty in a new roadster for under 150K. Sure, there are a few shortcomings (cup holders, etc.), but every time I am about to get irritated I just get out of the car and look at it a while. It is supremely beautiful. Even if such transcendent looks could ever become a visual cliche, it will never happen because so few Solstices are going to be around. My wife and I have had seperate cars for some time, but she just announced that she considered the Solstice to be OUR car. It does that to people.

Recently Acquired Base Solstice in 2019

halnwheels, 09/17/2019
2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Having owned 2 Fiat X1/9 cars (bought new) back in 1978 and 1986, I have returned to the roadster with my recently acquired 2007 Pontiac Solstice. This is simply a sexy car. No doubt about it. Everyone loves it when they see it. As cheap as people say the interior is, it seems suitable for the purpose. The plastic bits often complained about in the press are far better than what was in the Fiat. The seat bottoms however are not pulled taut and look a little saggy. If you desire, you can add on wood or some other surface treatment to the interior pieces. But the exterior is gorgeous. The proportions of height and track width are pure Pontiac. The soft top is good looking when up, and tucked away is even better as it's entirely hidden in the boot. Let me say something about the model classification, What are you buying when you see the car advertised as a Base Solstice? You have no idea, that's what. You have to know what options were available and what are on your car. I was fortunate to have the window sticker for the car I bought. There were $6,000 of factory options purchased! And that didn't include the automatic trans because this is a standard shift. It has everything that was available in 2007. The power available is adequate on the NA model. You won't win any drag races, but good driving skills can yield results that will bring a smile to your face. The GXP model adds almost another 100 hp and pounds feet of torque. That makes it quite sporty for cars back in 2007. But the NA version with 177 hp still has a power to weight ratio far better than my Fiat X1/9 or British roadsters like MG and Triumph, Trunk space, Hah! This could have been done better, but I'm not sure it could be done without sacrificing the car's proportions or its totally disappearing under the boot lid. The soft top is a troubling point. It's very complex, perhaps unnecessarily so. For all the solenoids and cables and flip open hatches on the tulip panel, they could have made it electric! I can't imagine anyone except the owner to sort this out when it starts to give trouble. But I'm loving it. It's rewarding to feel the car respond to steering input. I approached a sharp hairpin turn that I am familiar with and rounded it with careful balance. As I came out of the turn, I needed to move from the right lane to the left, and letting off the throttle and back on did exactly as I wanted. The car just nosed into the turn a little deeper into the turn and changed lanes without a protest from the tires. Go get one and have some fun. Watch for the options!