Used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

Used Pathfinder for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Transmission Problems

kano1017, 04/16/2012
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading all this reviews I decided not to wait and / or pay a lot of $$ to get this fix, so what we came up with is totally different cost effective and it works great, I know that this is a problem with the Nissan design but I bought it so now is my problem here goes, we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator and put an independent oil cooler to the side of the radiator with this little gadget you can be sure that you will never ever have this problem again and the transmission oil will be more cooler with this modification so the tranny will work better, cost to do this = 60 buck for the oil cooler, 15 buck to add transmission oil to the oil cooler and that's it well + what you

Coolant fluid leaking into transmission!

Faith Q, 04/20/2016
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It would have been really nice to have gotten a heads up on a defective part in the radiator that will eventually kill your transmission and your radiator. We bought our Pathfinder brand new in 2005. We have never had it serviced anywhere other than the dealership. My theory was that it would be better to have our Nissan maintained at the dealership so we wouldn't have any issues with things coming up that other mechanics may not know about, well that backfired! We never received a letter that some have stated that they received telling them about the potential destruction of their vehicles transmission and radiator do to the defective part. My Pathfinder is now sitting in our driveway while we try to figure out what to do..... This is frustrating to say the least. We have always maintained this vehicle per the dealership and the only thing we were told was it wasn't a problem or it would have been recalled!!!

Best of the best

Erick, 10/25/2015
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got my pathfinder back in 05, never had any problems with the the truck. Its been to texas and back many times. Like couple years back when we got that horrible winter storm here in chicago it handle the road like nothing. The best suv out there for the heavy snow. RWD with the 4x4 option. all i got to say its that its the best and knkw that its 10 years old still runs like new.

Good Car

kano1017, 01/30/2013
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Path used 3 years ago it's a 2005, I'm very happy with it then I started reading the reviews and got concern I know that this is a Nissan design issues but I was not going to wait till I have to pay a lot of $$ to get the radiator and tranny fix so my friend and me started looking for some options and we found the solution so we cancel the lines that go thru the radiator to cool the tranny oil and put an independent oil cooler so now I will never need to be concern on this issue, cost to do this 70 buck's for the oil cooler + what you mechanic charges you. Good luck

10 year review!

Mike C., 04/07/2018
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my third Pathfinder. I owned it for 10 years and sold it with 165,000 miles on it. It has been extremely reliable and rock solid. I sold it because it had high miles, and I needed something newer to travel with. This year Pathfinder did have problems with the radiator leaking into the transmission and destroying it. Chances are if you buy one now, either it was already changed under warranty, or not affected. I had the radiator changed under warranty but no transmission issues. It is based on the truck platform so the ride is not as smooth as the car based SUV'S, but it has more room, and can handle carrying heavier items. I owned the LE with full leather, navigation, rear entertainment, etc..Everything still worked perfectly when I sold the car. Great workhorse, in style. The only issue is the heat. When the car is idling normally, it doesn't heat up the car. Almost like it doesn't push enough antifreeze through the heater core unless the engine is running over 2000 rpm. The seriously sucks when you're trying to warm the car because it just doesn't at idle. Once your driving the heat works fine.

Don't Buy 2005-2006 Pathfinders

runnermcm, 11/17/2010
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am having the same problems that others have noted here and on the Edmunds discussion board about the radiator and the transmission. The tranny is failing, but Nissan of Omaha says they can't find anything wrong despite riding with me and it slipping (acts as if it is in neutral) - goes to 6 RPM and you say at 40 mph for a while - just one example. Woodhouse Nissan confirmed my problem but Nissan of Omaha has to be the one to fix it and so far they won't. The radiator was replaced after it flooded the tranny and they flushed it, but that didn't solve it. There are at least 3 class action lawsuits. I'm not letting it end here. I will keep all boards I post on updated with progress/advice.

How to love your Pathfinder

pfluvr, 08/28/2013
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Step 1 - Have your transmission cooling lines disconnected from the radiator! There is an external auxiliary transmission cooler that does the job already. The only problem you may encounter is hard shifting in extreme cold. You can, if you want put another auxiliary cooler on the truck, but unless you're maxing the towing capacity every day you will not need it. The stock cooler is very large. Step 2 - You've basically now cured the only problem you will ever encounter, except for some little maintenancy things. Enjoy!

Transmission / Radiator issue must be addressed

john534, 08/04/2011
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very unreliable and very poor powertrain and electronic system design. Started experiencing shudder at 89K miles when the automatic transmission moved between 1st and 2nd gear. Symptom did not occur over two day period until driving on third day where the issue worsened rapidly until transmission became inoperable above 10 mph. I investigated the issue and learned that this is a well known issue with the Pathfinder where the radiator fluid fails into the transmission, causing both the radiator and transmission to fail... great design! My transmission and radiator are shot at 89,000 miles. Looking at $6000 repair bill that I will not pay.

Coolant leaking into transmission fluid

clausl, 09/06/2012
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a known issue with Nissan 2005 and 2006 vehicles. (Currently the subject of a class action lawsuit.) Coolant leaking into Transmission destroys transmission, computer controlling transmission and radiator. Average cost for fix is ~$7,500 warranty extension offered by Nissan doesn't cover many drivers as the issue seems to often extend beyond the extended warranty of 8yrs / 130,000km. Some vehicles are not covered despite being within these two parameters. Nissan refuses to say why some vehicles of that year/type are excluded.

Don't be Fooled by the Appearance. Don't Buy Nissan!!!!!!!

byebyenissan, 04/26/2012
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We had the same leaking radiator problem like many people with our 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The vehicle was 2000 km over the extended warranty limit. We would bring the vehicle to Nissan dealership if we were made aware of the defect sooner. We asked Nissan for assistance. After many phone calls, emails, time spent collect past maintenance record requested by Nissan Canada and months of waiting, we finally got a reply. Below is my response to their reply. "Thank you [Nissan Customer Service rep] for passing the news that Nissan would not do anything for our loss and their defective automobile, and for wasting our time. I can assure you we will spread our words about the quality of Nissan vehicle, so less people will experience what we have experienced. I am happy to report that after this incident we have traded in our Nissan for a Toyota which we have been very happy with, and my dad has sold his Nissan for a Lexus. Even though the resale Nissan worths less than other vehicle of similar type and age, it's wonderful to got rid of our headache and future headaches. I will look forward to the day Nissan disappear from this world. Best of luck to all of you working for Nissan." We traded in the Nissan after replaced the radiator. Transmission was still working at the time, but we didn't want to take a chance of keeping a time bomb. The problem is well known among dealships of other car makers, so we got only $8000 for the trade in, but this is better than having to pay $5000 later on repairs. We had so many problems with this vehicle since we purchased it new from a dealership - noises, signal problem, gauge problem, etc. - and spent a lot of money fixing them including getting scammed by dealership (asked to pay for an item under warranty). What we experienced with Nissan is bad vehicle, bad service and ignorance. This is our one time experience with Nissan. Lesson learnt.

More of the same!

Scott, 01/27/2016
XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle in December of 2009 with 44K miles on it. It was a great looking SUV and was a good SUV for a while. I guess I can say I was lucky because I didn't have any problems until it reached about 100K miles. Once it hit that milestone, it started having all the same problems that everyone else has been saying. Fuel sensor unit, check engine light going on, tire sensors going on, 2 valve jobs, coolant sending issue, etc. During a drive across town one day in June of 2015 and with only 122K miles on it, I felt a knock underneath the vehicle. Shortly afterward, it wouldn't engage in reverse and then quit engaging in forward after that before it completely crapped out and stranded me in the hood. I knew from reading all these forums what it was. You are right; it was the transmission. 2 months, 2 stints in the repair shop during those 2 months, other repairs needed, and a new transmission, it was finally back on the road $3200 later. Nissan wouldn't do anything and the dealership told me not to waste my time. Like a girl who has cheated on you many times, I couldn't trust it. Needless to say, it was on Craigslist the moment it was out of the shop. I did get rid of it and bought a Toyota SUV. No more Nissans from now on. Would have been a different story if Nissan would have taken responsibility and owned up to this problem and issues. Just from reading these forums, it looks like I am not the only one who will never buy another Nissan again.

Has Been Excellent, but...

, 06/05/2012
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 automatic new in January of 2006. It has been a great vehicle in every way, including reliability. The MPG has been between 8 off road in 4x4, 12 durring the worst winter driving around town in AWD, to 22 on high speed freeways in 2WD, to 24 on moderate speed county highways in 2WD.

I am torn on this review...am I one of the lucky ones?

andybisnut, 04/25/2014
SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck but I am torn on the review. I had the issue where the transmission cooling lines failed, causing coolant to get into the transmission. The car would "rumble" when the torque converter engaged. Installed new radiator and flushed the heck out of the transmission. 30,000 miles later, fingers crossed, the tranny is still OK. I haven't had to replace it. Otherwise, the Patfhfinder has been virtually bullet-proof. It's been our go-to road trip car and it's survived many brutal MN winters. Great truck. If the tranny issue didn't exist it would get a perfect score. Seriously powerful engine with lots of sound and fury. :) MPG isn't great...maybe 17-18 MPG on average.

By far WORST Car I've ever owned in my life!

nissansux3, 02/15/2012
XE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just read all the post on Coolant leaking into Transmission. Happened to me at 75K miles. We bought the car brand new and spent THOUSANDS on repairs and it was never without problems. Amazing how a company could keep selling a vehicle with SOOOOO many problems and then not do right by their customers.

If I Could Turn Back Time

mommaT, 09/24/2010
XE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoyed driving this car, right up until the transmission blew. Our gas gauge hadn't worked in a long, long time. No big deal, I just reset the mile ticker each time I filled up. But what I will NEVER understand is how a 5 year old vehicle we bought NEW at the local dealer could be worthless. We did all the scheduled maintenance, used synthetic oil, treated her well. A 5 yr old car should not need 6,000+ dollars worth of work done. This is a design flaw in the coolant system and we should NOT be on the hook for it. Nissan should be ashamed! This was the only car we had that could haul our 2 small kids and now it's junk! I don't have money to fix it, and a new car is not the budget!

STAY AWAY!!!!

abradach, 12/19/2011
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Do not buy this car, i got mine a year ago from a nissan dealership and now i have the problem everybody else has with this car: the radiator coolant leaking into the transmission. now the radiator has to be replace along with the transmission. (thousands of dollars). they extended the warranty up to 80,000 miles, but this problem usually happens around 85,000 like mine. this was figured out only after spending about $1000 on useless repairs the nissan mechanics kept guessing at. This car has drained me and i will NEVER buy anything from Nissan again!!!

2005 Pathfinder

maximus18, 10/30/2004
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

overall, this suv is great. the exterior is awesome; it really looks rugged and heavy. the interior is also good. all the nissans have the sporty- looking steering wheels.

Transmission oil cooler

gowen1, 01/14/2014
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder at a mileage of 110k. After reading scary stories about radiator coolant mixing with trans oil, I decided to take a preemptive measure as suggested, i.e. disconnect coolant line from the radiator and add an external transmission cooler. I took my vehicle to Volksdoctor. David, the owner, is very nice man. When he was trying to find a spot for external cooler installation, he found there is a small cooler in the front of the radiator. Then he checked VIN online and found this vehicle has a separate trans cooler. I was so happy about it. Thus, check your vehicle before you add one, you might have it separated already.

BAD RADIATOR AND TRANSMISSION

Trina , 05/29/2009
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 2005 at 110,000 miles the radiator fluid leak into the transmission without any warning nor is it included in the service repair to change. To no end Nissan will not accept responsibility of a faulty radiator design. I am not the first and the last with this same problem. I will never buy another Nissan! Consumer relations stated they will not accept responsibility and states the warranty of their radiators go out at 36,000 miles.

Watch out on transmissions!!!!

Joe, 10/21/2009
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 just went dead with only 50K miles on it and the dealer says the transmission is done and needs to be replaced out of warranty at a cost of $5K!!!! What kind of a car is this??? Do I have any chance of getting this replaced by Nissan at their cost? Last time I buy a lemon from this company!!

Not Sure what to think anymore

Hextreme2000, 02/06/2010
SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well at only 61K barely out of powertrain warranty my engine needed to be replaced. First was the catalytic converter. Replaced under warranty, got the truck back and started burning oil, NIssan 23 in NJ where I bought it, worst customer service and would never buy or service any car there, they said I needed new engine $7k repair. Called Nissan corporate and they have been helpful and covered the repair at another dealer since I have been a loyal customer for years. No complains about Nissan corporate and their service but still I don't feel confident that I won't have more problems with my Pathy. I love Nissans and I def love my Pathfinder but have not had good luck with its reliability

Nissan quality sinks

welshy, 11/24/2010
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Extremely problematic and the reviews don't tell the issues that this generation is experiencing. Problems to date at mile occurred Fuel sending unit 57K Front U -Joint 57k Catalytic converters (all) 71K Engine 75k (due to converter failure, pieces got into the engine) transmission failure do to design issue with radiator (class action lawsuit pending, I have luckily not had this issue to date)

Crap, it happened to mine also!

Paul, 12/01/2010
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok, I just bought this pathfinder and traded my other 2 decent vehicles in on it thinking that since this is a Nissan it would last forever and it was newer than my other 2/well as soon as I bought it it started jerking bad and come to find out it is of course the trans and radiator/and as of right this minute it has been in shop for over a week having trans rebuilt and radiator replaced at the expense of the car dealership luckily. I love this vehicle but Nissan needs to step up to the plate and fix their junky parts! Once the radiator leaks antifreeze in trans it is messed up. Good luck and hopefully mine will be like new now

Is It a Good One?

jaredsalinger, 03/07/2011
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently, Nissan mailed me a warranty extensions on the radiator, because it might fail and leak coolant. Some 2005 Pathfinder owners have had the radiator fail, causing coolant to leak into the transmission and ruin it. I contacted my Nissan dealerships (2 in my area), and they tell me that there is no fix, and that the radiator has to fail before they can replace it. Really, Nissan?! Well then, I'm sorry, but I cannot support an automaker who engages in such practices. Ironically, my Pathfinder has been a great vehicle. So now, I'm left wondering if I got a good one, or if it's just a ticking time bomb.

Problems solved, hopefully

dargon, 12/12/2010
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in July, 2010 with 82k miles on it from dealership without knowing what issues the vehicle had. After reading all the reviews I took preemptive measures and replaced the radiator myself, $200. Evap code tripped on the way home from dealership same day of purchase. Took evap canister out, found out a tab holding the evap valve in place was insufficient and zip tied the crud out of it and haven't had a problems with it. According to carfax report the fuel sender had already been replaced. Haven't had an issue with it since, but transmission has always made a small clacking noise when it makes its first shift after start-up, hope this is normal.

Radiator Assembly Problem

cookdough, 04/15/2012
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Pathfinder used in October 2008. It now has 74,500 miles. I read all the horror stories about the radiator assembly so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I had the dealer replace it before the extended warranty even expired. I had no evidence of any problem but did not want to risk ruining the transmission. Woodbury Nissan in NJ charged $843 (parts & labor) to replace the radiator assembly, but the piece of mind was worth it. Maybe if Nissan ever decides to recall, I'll be reimbursed. I'm not holding my breath. And yes... I'll never buy another Nissan.

Don't buy if you like problems

Hunter, 12/21/2017
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car used with 118,000 miles on it a week after purchase the transmission went out a week or so after that the fuel injectors went out. Then a month after purchase the fuel pump went out. We are now around 145,000 miles and thank god have been issue free for a year. Due to the previous issues we are scared to take anywhere longer than 4 hours away. If you live in a snowy state and have the 4x2 RWD then prepare for the worst winter of your life. You will slide if there's a little bit of slush or ice, if your down hill and stopped then make sure you have plenty of car length in front of you, because your car will slide at a complete stop. Not to mention braking on a little bit of snow or slush will cause you to slide as well. If you have two kids in car seats you can forget about getting anyone in the third row. Plus one adult is lucky to get to the third row and if you can it's not comfortable. She is a nice car on the outside but design and reliability gives this SUV 2 stars

I love this truck. Its perfect for me

kbstone@gmail.com, 02/05/2018
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There are a few quality issues but overall a great truck all around. Tows well, can hold a lot of folks. I am a mechanically inclined person so did the transmission cooler bypass and timing chain repairs myself. I put a small 2 inch lift and its a beast. I bought it with 100K miles and have put another 40K on it with no problems other than little stuff - I replaced the fuel pump to fix the known gas gauge problem and you have to take the car mostly apart to put a set of spark plugs in but that's most cars these days. The truck is comfortable, reliable and has a massive amount of utility. With the right tires and a small lift, theres almost nowhere it cant go and that's a big deal as we spend a lot of time of very remote places. I originally got an xterra and after 200K plus miles decided that Nissans were for me. If you take good care of this car, you will have it a long time.

REPLACE THE FRONT AND REAR STRUTS, SPRINGS, SHOCKS

Robert G, 06/17/2016
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Hi, my Pathfinder has 116,000 miles and I am the type that will not replace anything until it absolutely need to be replaced minus 10%, this week I replaced the front struts/springs (Monroe had a $75.00 rebate on all 4) front strut/spring sets complete so no labor or additional parts needed, best way to go and save $$ plus the rear shocks, then with the $75.00 rebate I bought the rear moog springs for $63.00 plus $8,00 shipping and my mechanic charged $92.00 and a alignment and now the car rides like a dream, so beautiful that I should have done this at 70,000 miles, best investment I ever made in the Pathfinder, I highly recommend this, total cost $582, best ride, might even be better than brand new as the moog springs have 2 more coils but are the same height giving the body less sway and I love the way it now takes the highway at 65 mph, absolutely a real treat,

Here's the thing...

depmodealex, 04/13/2012
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

People complain about reliability..here's what I do. The tranny/radiator problem? I spent $200 bucks and PREVENTED the $6,000 failure by replacing the radiator myself. The problem with the secondary timing chains making a LOUD whining noise when you accelerate? Rather than pay Nissan $2000 to fix it, I paid $110 AT the dealer for the parts (which they already have packaged together because it's such a common problem with their VQ engines...which are in over 10 million vehicles, so they're NEVER going to do a recall) and fixed it myself. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Spending $400 bucks is better than $7000. Maintain your cars people, don't [non-permissible content removed] when you can prevent this

this is a lemon...trying to make lemonade

autophitie, 09/07/2012
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Please research this vehicle...read reviews..and purchase something else for the safety of yourself, your family and other drivers on the road. I had a 2005 Pathfinder, bought it used was happy driving it despite the finicky trans which always seemed okay as long as I continued my dutiful trips to the dealer for service...I had just purchased new tires and brakes for the vehicle which I paid cash for at the time and wham at just over 102K mi the transmission went. It was acting up for a few days with my kids in the car I only ventured to work and daycare ASAP got to to the shop..thankfully no one was injured when I was driving this vehicle...

Keep looking if you want Reliability

carbuyerone, 02/04/2011
SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The issue is quality and reliability. Our time owning this vehicle was beleaguered with numerous mechanical problems, break-downs, recalls and quality issues. The vehicle had chronic fuel pump and fuel sender failures (Google and read owner blogs). This resulted in the fuel gauge not working or fuel pump failing altogether. Fuel pump issues left us stranded twice (towed to dealer both times). We replaced the sender and fuel pump 3 times while owning. We had ball bearing and CV issues in the front end. We had the car battery explode once, leaving my wife stranded (towed to dealer again). We had the transmission slip out of drive a few times and one time out of 4WD while pulling the boat out on a ramp. The ECM (electronic control module) had to be fix/replace twice. The sliding moon roof rode off its track, became jammed and had to be completely replaced. The back lift gate pistons failed to keep the back gate open. The cargo board liner came undone (I fixed myself), passenger cup holders broke off (poorly placed by design). Styling molding covers on the roof rack came off on the highway. The banding on the exhaust heat shields rusted away resulting in a metallic rattle between the exhaust pipes and heat shielding which require re-banding (I fixed myself). The underbody shows far too much rust development for a modern make, this made me concerned about the vehicles long term handling of underbody rust. 2nd row passenger AC/heat control buttons kept coming off. The paint chips and scratches easily. The interior plastics are soft, also scratch easily and the lighter tone plastics are hard to clean. The font bumper cover cracked and tore pushing through a snow drift.

Beware! Engine Power Loss!

Disgruntled!, 07/22/2006
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After testing driving 37 vehicles in search of the new family vehicle, we selected the Pathfinder. I regret that decision. Yesterday, my wife was traveling on a highway when the power to the engine went out!!!! She had to coast off the highway. I took it to the dealership this morning who did the diagnostics and said the accelerator pedal had failed and would need to be replaced. What if this had happened with an 18 wheeler barreling down behind her???? I will be filing a complaint with Nissan Motor Corps so they check into this, conduct a recall to ensure this does not happen to anyone else.

0-60 in 7.38s, 1/4 mile in 15.86s @ 89.2

tony22r, 08/04/2005
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

this is what you Won't find in the brochure.. pop the hood and you'll find: really BIG air filter, oil filter located in front (easy to service), check out those oil lines.. they go to Engine Oil Cooler!, look at passenger side of radiator, lines from tranny.. Transmission Oil Cooler! Check out the Variable Intake! Have your partner blip throttle while you stand near exhaust.. listen to that Throaty Exhaust sound, Oh Yeah! Whoever put this engine together Knew what they were doing! You can See the quality they put in every little detail. That tow hitch you see comes standard. Oh my favorite.. those Big Fat 265/70R16 Tires! ..monitored by low air pressure sensors (trust me This comes in handy

Transmissions

PRDR, 11/23/2010
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Same problem radiator fluid leaked into the transmission. This is my second Nissan I love my 92 Nissan SE, and I still have it, so it is why I brought the second Nissan Pathfinder 2005 SE 6CL 4WD, but I will never buy another Nissan again. Not only that the electrical modular that controls the car went, it shuts down the car down completely, which cost a pretty penny to fix. Now I see they have a recall on that starting in December 2010. They need to do the right thing and recall these particular Makes and Models fix their issues and any revert of those issues. Come now Nissan do the right thing and keep loyal customers. Oh heat shields rattle like mad. Same problem on 1992 model too.

Pathfinder LE 2 WD drive

Charles Bosworth, 03/19/2005
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Car handles well, more like a car than a truck. Appointments are luxurious. Even the basic LE model has all the bells and whistles except navigation and DVD systems. A standard 1st aid kit is nice. No available rear window deflector is a turn off. Two glove boxes is different. This is a new version of the old pathfinder. It has 3rd row fold down seats. Because it is newly redesigned it might be hard to get a good deal (no specials). Bose speaker system, multi-control AC and memory system for drivers seat, mirror and pedal height are all nice touchs. There is a big difference, appointment/accesory-wise between LE and other models (SE, etc..). We had a 2002 LE. Not much interior storage space.

Wouldn't drive if it was free

crynuno, 06/07/2011
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Think twice before ever buying one! My tranny recently went out for no apparent reason. The dealer said it had nothing to do with the radiator coolant because they are not connected. I ask then why would the tranny fail at only 83,000 miles?? Since I could not get an answer, I assume it is because it is a piece of garbage. I am trading in asap. Willing to take the hit on it just to get rid of it! I don't care to put up with the headache anymore.

Best Bang for the Buck

Guy, 08/01/2009
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased our 05 Pathfinder in July 2005. $26,000 out the door. A lot of truck for the money. The 4.0 V6 delivers plenty of power. So smooth, you cant even feel the tranny shift. As far as comfort, no complaints here. I had one problem in four years. The belt tentioner had to be replaced. I love the looks and secure ride of this vehicle. I will most likely buy another one. Also looking at the Suzuki Equator (Pick-up). This vehicle is a twin to the Nissan Frontier. Suzuki give the better warranty.

worst bumpers ever

vadim, 10/08/2009
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Cheap plastic inside and outside - everything inside breaks - plastic covers on the side of the seat broke, central storage bin in between passenger seat and driver’s seat also broke. But the worst things is the bumpers - for a car of this class - a big suv, these bumpers are very flimsy.. Minor things will cause them to break, crack, tea and lose paint. Horrible. Cd player broke - cd's get stuck. Also the whole car makes noises - squeaking and rattling everywhere. Dealer said it's normal and couldn’t fix it. Horrible gas mileage – 12 mpg city / 16 highway, made no difference if putting super, premium or regular gas.

Nissan Finally Transmission/Radiator Issue!!

koz5150, 01/15/2011
SE Off Road Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

To all those who have had the infamous transmission/radiator issues, I just received a letter in the mail from Nissan saying that while they are not creating a reacall for it, they are extending the warranty on the vehicle to cover this issue. They are extending the warranty to 96 months or 80K miles. While this is not the perfect solution, it should help a large number of owners. To those who already had to pay for a repair for this, it sounds like you will be able to get reimbursed for it. Hopefully you all will be receiving your letters shortly. While my 2005 Pathfinder has not yet had this issue, I just wanted to pass on the somewhat good news.

bad car! bad car!

venting67, 12/07/2011
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is RIDICULOUS!!! I bought this car used with only 36,000 miles, if that. This car has broken down soooo many times that I am both surprised and disappointed that the government has not stepped in and reprimanded Nissan. Other than normal maintenance, I have spent greater than $3000 in major repairs. I am soo over this car and will be trading it as soon as possible.

Pathfinder 05

Pathfinder 05, 11/11/2019
SE Off Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great engine and good on highway

Timing ch./tensioner

Phil, 06/04/2008
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

1) Master switch out at 30k. 2) piece from roof rack blew away. 3) tensioner causing timing cha. to make engine noises. Warranty covered this at 59k because I bought extra warranty. It took Team Nissan 1, and 1/2 to complete job. Does this mean that I will have the same proble at 100k miles? 4) noisy sun roof at speeds over 70 miles/hr

Not for 3+ kids

Kim, 06/16/2008
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When my husband and I first bought this we only had 2 kids, then came #3. First of all, I cannot fit all 3 of their carseats in the middle seat, I have to put my oldest in the back seat which means she has to step on the middle seat to get in the back because that's the only access because the other 2 car seats are in the middle, also the seats are extremely uncomfortable, after I've been driving for about 40 minutes I notice just how uncomfortable

They Don't Make 'em Like They Used To!

Fetts, 06/18/2008
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck 4 years ago new with all the options. Interior/exterior is good and the engine is surprisingly fast (60,000 miles). I passed on the MBZ ML back in '05 and wish I hadn't. The engine light has come on serveral times, each time costing me around $300-$400. The driver's side window consistently pops out of the slide and leaves the truck unprotected. The rear windows stopped rolling up/down and the truck randomly locks when the keys are inside. There has been a rattle in the dash from the start, and the rear shocks went out at 50,000 miles. Worst of all, the dealer just told me the timing chain tension is bad and needs replacement. Cost? $4,000. Huh, time to sell.

Great Truck

Ace Dude, 07/14/2008
SE Off Road Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use my Pathfinder for business and drive about 20K miles per year, mostly on highway. The Pathfinder is comfortable, reliable, and a great all around truck. I occasionally pull a cargo trailer and have no problems. This truck has a great engine! It has more power than my V8 Ford Expedition had. Highly recommended. As for the fuel mileage, it's a truck! I have almost 50K miles on it now with NO PROBLEMS!

Stay Away from Nissan!

Mike, 07/22/2008
LE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Here is a list of the items you can expect. 1) A rattle from inside the dashboard from zero miles. 2) A loud squeaking sound from rear frame. 3) Back of seats tear when in the down position. 4) The in-dash CD changer will fail at 40,000 miles. 5) Driver’s side window will disengage constantly. 6) The master window switch will fail at 40,000. 7) The memory seat settings will never work. 8) The rear shock absorbers will fail at 50,000 miles. 9) The check engine light will turn on every 10,000 miles. 10) Both secondary timing chains and camshaft secondary timing chain tensioners will fail. Cost: $2,148. Have fun!

Reliable transportation.

screamingsloth, 08/29/2012
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 47.000 mile on the clock. Aside from normal preventative maintenance, I have replaced both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensors. That is all. I monitor all fluids closely and now with 132.000 on the clock it still performs as new. The only other glitch is the CD player failed.

Build Quality Good but Not Great

Desert_Al, 08/04/2008
SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought SUV late 2005; excellent, powerful albeit thirsty engine (average 19.8 mpg hwy; 15.9 city); reliable interiors, some spotty irritants - weatherproofing on front driver door detaches from B pillar often; air pressure light turns on when temperature changes; tested off-road in Sedona backroads including 30 degree incline rocky hill - addressed hill spectacularly;

You get what you pay for

JM, 08/15/2008
LE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2005 LE in December 2004 and got a pretty fair deal as it was Dec 31st. I must say we use this vehicle a lot and it's provided fair value. We still have original brakes and tires. We replaced the battery once and fuel sending unit 4 times. Nissan took care of the first 3 sending unit replacements under warranty and the covered half of the cost of the most recent one. Recently the air bag "dummy" light was flashing but I learned how to reset it on the web. Our Nissan dealer wanted $700 to replace the "airbag computer." The instrument panel of this vehicle is really starting to scare me as I'm not sure what will fail next. Although I love my Infinitis, I won't buy Nissan

12345...8