Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews

$8,995

Used SL-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

MB's Finest!

MThompson, 12/04/2007

This is the first Mercedes I have owned and I do not believe I will ever own another type of vehicle. Both interior and exterior design are excellent and the overall quality is exceptional. The handling and reliability far exceed any expectations. This is a true driver's car! Definitely worth the price! This car is rock solid - built like a tank but handles like a sports car - feels very safe. The mechanics of the soft- top and ease with getting the hard-top in place are a true testimate to Mercedes fine engineering capabilities.

My SL500 is my baby!

jmarichard@yahoo.com, 12/22/2015
SL500 2dr Convertible

I have owned this car since 2001 and I can say that it is still a thrill to drive every time I get behind the wheel. This car has been super reliable and almost maintenance free. Just regular care as you would do with any car, and no major repairs. She has a little over 80K miles on her now, and still runs like new. I also own an '06 C55 AMG as my daily driver. Very fast and stiff ride. Also enjoyable, but I would take the SL500 any day, if I had to choose just one. I love how this site has 100% 5 star ratings from owners of this car. I totally understand it too. Cheers!

LUV this car

Jimbo, 11/03/2009

Bought car 2 years ago with 13,000 miles on odometer. May have paid too much from dealer but what a great car! Knowing repair cost can be expensive I opted for extended warranty-waste of money so far. Great power, smooth ride, classic design, handles well. Probably be buried in this auto.

You should own a V12 once in your life!

BillC, 08/03/2010

Just bought this beautiful SL600 Sport, all black. With only 52k miles it drives like a new car! After considerable research, I went with the 48 valve V 12 because the newer bi- turbo versions are much less reliable and have far more plastic. If you drive one, you will fall in love with it. Driving reasonably I am getting 17 mpg with 70% around town, 30% highway, what a nice surprise for a 400 hp V-12. These cars had 1 man who built each engine and the smooth delivery of power has to be felt to be believed. I know they are expensive to repair, the drive is worth it though. Awesome stereo with Sirius radio (highly recommended). Just driving the car feels special.~$125k when new. A bargain now!

The Best Sports Car I Have Ever Had

John1, 04/02/2002

If you want a well built car have is expensive but performs very well this is for you.

sl500 is a gem, I will forever own one!

troy lair, 07/06/2016
SL500 2dr Convertible

These cars are amazing, and to buy one now, you can be sure to get a much better deal than the brand new price tag of $100K. Not alot to warn you about other than you will be at the gas station more frequently than the average car as this baby likes gas a lot. other than that, she is a beaut. for someone like me, 6.4 tall, she can be a bit snug getting in and out of the drivers side, but the passengers side is not a problem at all.

Nothing Else Compares, Nothing

John-Rodger, 09/04/2009

I am the original owner of this car, my last SL I kept for 16 yrs; I plan to keep this car, hell I plan to be buried in this car. It is a head turner, a turn taker, nothing is safer. After 10 years I still think 'wow' every time I climb in and crank it up. I don't even look at other cars on the road, and I have owned them all. PS In ten years, aside from regular service the car has been 'in the shop' ONCE

SL500 SL1 & Panoramic Roof

Barry, 09/17/2009

I had driven a 1984 380SL for a while in 1987 and fell in love! Fast forward twenty years, and I decided to go with the R129, and 1998 was the last year for the twin cam 48 valve engine, so I looked for the Sport model with a Panoramic roof. Love the car! Very glad I went this route. The hard top still feels more "open" being mostly glass, so winter is less of a drag. I just feel good driving it, anywhere, anytime. I've had a number of nice cars, but the SL is extraordinary in so many ways that I believe I will always want one. My wife and I take trips with our 45 pound Golden Retriever and even she loves it! Service is costly, but not frequent, so I highly recommend this fantastic machine!!!

not to be missed

Syl Stys, 03/24/2010

I owned a 1956 190SL while stationed in Germany when I was a much younger man and always wanted another one. Well I couldn't afford that '56 now but the modern engineering, comfort and style of my "new" SL make up for it. Sitting in this one I can see and feel the DNA connection to that beautiful '56. You will not regret owning and driving this masterpiece. Shop wisely, do your homework, then enjoy. Very affordable.

A SUPER AUTOMOBILE

WIL, 07/14/2004

This vehicle is a thrill to drive and it is everything Mercedes says it is. I was very impressed with the power and quick response. If there is any down-side...it would be shoulder/hip room; I am 6'6" about 270lbs and it's just a fit.

11 years of cruising bliss

Golfasaurus Rex, 07/26/2016
SL500 2dr Convertible

I've owned the 1998 SL 500 since 2006 when I bought it with 51000 miles. I am the third owner and each time the car was sold by a MB dealer. I now have 76000 miles on it and my only repair cost was replacing a coil. I have gone to the dealer for routine maintenance and paid a small premium. I have the original hydraulic cylinders and top. The car drives like new and has cost me very little over the 11 year period, while giving me great pleasure. I considered replacing it with a 2005 550 model but my wife felt the R129 body was such a classic we should just keep it. It's not worth very much on the market now but It's worth a lot to us. We tested a large number of cars before buying but who can argue with a design that allows you to talk on a cell phone at 70 MPH with the top down and windows up. Not the most powerful car on the road but incredible torque for passing in the 45 to 80 MPH range. Our car is beautiful and we get positive comments everywhere we go. What's not to like?

I finally bought my dream car.

tripp1976, 06/21/2013

Words can't express the thrill I get every time I get into this car. I'm just 32 and I've loved the r129 SL500 since I first saw it as a kid. I looked all over the US and about booked a flight to Texas to buy a car when a buddy of mine called to let me know his dad just bought a low mileage car for his lot. I drove down to his lot and saw my 98 Mercedes SL500 sitting there with only 46,000 on the clock. I test drove it then went to lunch came back and paid for it. We have put 7,000 miles on it in just two months. I love the feel, touch and power of this amazing cruiser. I even don't mind the fuel costs I'm getting about 17city and our trip to Florida we were able to get 25.4.

Finally, a happy wife.

B & L, 07/28/2009

I have purchased MANY cars for my wife in hopes that she would be happy with what she is driving. After 17 years, I finally found one that she refuses to even look at another kind of car. This is fun in the sun, and glamor all year round. This last year there was 18" of snow, once we got the car out of the drive, I was passing 4X4's and cruising down the road without issues. We get about 18mpg in town and 23mpg highway. Virtually no road noise with hardtop on who cares how much noise with the top down. Every time my wife gets in it, she tells me how much she loves her little car. Thank you MB

Awesome

Jaquie, 03/04/2009

I'm a girl, but have always been a car nut. My first car was a little used Mazda RX7 which I really enjoyed, but was convinced to sell by my granny who thought I would kill myself in it - haha. Since then I've owned about thirty or so cars, most of the time buying used, driving, then reselling. Among these, have been several BMWs (3,5 & 7 series), an '87 911, an '85 380SL, a 91 Jaguar XJS, Mustangs (old and new bodies), etc.; and I can honestly say that my SL500 is a KEEPER. I love the way it handles, looks, and its reliability. I've even learned to slow down in it (a little). Definitely recommend!

1998 Mercedes 500 SL sport w SL1/SL2 opt

YOONSEOK, 07/14/2003

This is a one of the top model for Mercedes 50yrs of SL making. With no doubt it has a impressive handling and sticks to the road. well balanced and super responsive. cornering with 18inch optional AMG wheels are crisp, and breaking is tight ( feels more like a Japanese car in breaking yet has engine roars like Italian Farrari. love the sound of Exhaust) beautifully stream lined and Optional HID is great. Planty of Torque at low RPM with total 350lb with 315 hp.

SL500

Robert Reese, 03/27/2004

The SL500 is a dream vehicle. The power to weight ratio makes it a thrill to drive. Although it is a sports car it drives like a touring sedan. I can drive for hours and not feel tired of driving, like in others vehicles I have driven. It is a stylish vehicle that always turns heads. The engineering of the vehicle never ceases to amaze me. The only drawback has been the storage of the hardtop while not in use (9 months in New Orleans). The design engineers have corrected that in 2002, but I still love the body style of the 1998.

Great Car

roach, 04/12/2004

It has been fun for me to own this car for the last two years. Drives like a dream. Highly recommended

Great value - near prefect sports car

AWR, 10/12/2004

I was driving an E420 and felt it a bit lacking in, well, fun! My search included Porsches and Vettes but I decided on an SL class. New body style hit the market and these started to fall within reach of a whole new buyer's market. I sugest buying on condition rather than mileage. High miles just means you'll pay less not that you'll get less car. Repairs can be costly as with any high-end automobile. Hardtop starage is a problem for those with limited space i.e. apartment/condo dwellers. In Chicago, its off by tax day and on by halloween so you'll be storing it half the year. AMG Sorts package is the best value.

The SL to own right now.

TwoPynts, 05/24/2006

Drives like a dream with the looks and comfort one would expect from a high end Merc. I always feel like a million bucks driving this car. Great handling and easy to drive. What is not to like about this thing?!? With the latest body style now around for a few years, prices have really dropped on these cars and they are well worth the money. I for one love the stock stereo.

V-12 SL class

jake, 01/04/2007

A good ride and is very, very fast. Love the style of the body and hard top. Sweet car!

Wow what a dfference

Ray Maselli, 06/13/2007

The SL500 is a thrill to drive. It's fast, responsive and very comfortable. I had a 560SL 1989 before this and it was great but this car is superb in every way. Pricey to repair but the ride and fun makes it worth it. I expect to get many good driving years out of it. After all, it is a Mercedes.

Best Car I've owned

Dennis Fields, 06/04/2003

fast and never down in shop

Great Vaule and Superior Performance

jayssl500, 05/23/2008

With 130,000 miles my black beauty is making people look. A road trip out West delivered top performance and comfort. Wished they had an auto tilt on the steering column instead pushing the button . Maintenance has always been a priority and the pre-owned warranty was well worth it. Alternator gave out at 120K, air condition replace at 60K, Headers replaced at 60K along with seat trim. All under warranty saving me over $4k. Do go without it. I firmly believe in the Starmark brand and only buy pre-owned. Front cow under bumper as well as inside wheel well covers go if you hit a parking bumper (too low) Need to re-paint and detail the interior to bring it back to A shape. Go get one now!

The Perfect Roadster

BestBenz, 06/14/2002

Bye far one of the best cars Ive ever owned. If you are fortunate enough to own one of these cars you will never want another car again.

red sl500 sport