Used 2005 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Rustmobile
By Skip Dickinson

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a white 2005 MPV new in spring of 2005. In the summer of 2009 my wife put a little ding in the rear bumper. We didn't get fixed because so much rust was already showing at the bottom of the doors and the wheel wells. It's 12 years old now and the dealer says it's so badly rusted it's no longer safe to put on the lift. I took it to Carmax to see what they'd give me for it and they quoted me $200 because of the condition of the body. While I'm sure that Mazda has improved the corrosion resistance of their cars I would never consider buying another car from them.

Runs good/ cold ac!
By Mike

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

First oif all I have had good luck with this vehicle because I take care of it. I dont run it hard and I change the oil and filter reguarly. I replaced the vacuum hose at around 90,000 miles due to it having a pinky size hole. I replaced the hose myself. If had to do it again I know it would be easier. Replaced radiator myself $235 at 110,000 miles due to a long hairline crack near upper hose connection. Flushed transmission fluid myself and I do all oil changes with NAPA Gold (WIX) filter and Walmart 5w20 full synthetic. Replaced plugs and all six coil packs myself on a Saturday afternoon. Found coil packs online, $79 for all six. Coil packs on the MPV's go bad at 120,000 or about that. BF Goodrich touring tires at 125,000 miles It rides smooth and quiet. Add Seafoam every three months to fuel tank and it accelerates as good as when new. I replace brake pads myself for cheap. Other than the radiator, vacuum hose and coil packs it's all been routine maintenance. I have added color match touch up paint to the light rust on bottom of interior both front doors. After replacing the cabin air filter the fan blows stronger and my A/C blows cold like new. 13 years and It looks great.
I like the size it has plenty of space but isn't too big or hard to park. I wouldn't buy this used unless I knew it was well cared for. The motor has a timing chain so that isn't a worry. I would recommend the MPV used if it had below average miles, was in really nice shape in out.

10 years of ownership: RUST...RUST...RUST
By HawaiiMPV

2005 Mazda MPV LX-SV 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

When my first son was born my wife said "we need a minivan!". I strongly disagreed. So we "compromised" and got a minivan. But as it turned out, I loved this van...for the first 6 years of ownership. Then I started to see a little rust at some of the body seams. Hmmm. And the rust kept going. Now, the van is 10 years old and starting to rust though *FROM THE INSIDE* at the bottom of the doors. For reference, I have a 12 year old lexus with zero rust. I don't live an area that uses road salt and I maintain the exteriors of my cars with washes and waxes regularly - Google "mazda rust" and you'll see that all the mazdas of this era have premature rust problems. Other than that the van has been OK; I have replaced only the drivers window regulator and the coil packs twice and the radiator just this year (85K miles). There is a small oil leak from the oil pan. On the plus side, my wife loves the visibility and ease of parking (it's a "skinny" van). My son loves the view from the back seat and complains about not being able to see out of every other car we drive. But overall I feel like the van aged too fast too soon, and now I'm stuck with a van with no resale value. I do not recommend a used MPV and would not buy another mazda anytime soon.

a few years in
By tbg

2005 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our MPV ES in Oct 2008 with 46,000 on it. It currently has about 114,000 on it and doesn't seem to be much different from when we bought it. To date, it has required relatively infrequent and minor fixes: a minor ($300) fuel thing (forgotten what precisely) at 90k, a small water pump leak at 108k.

Above avg handling for a minivan, and small size for vehicle with these capabilities.

Mazda did a great job of redesigning this in 2007 (I've seen them when I travel to Asia) but decided not to import it. A real shame. Bring it back and call it a Mazda7.

nice car so far
By topcatken

2005 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this a few months ago with 53,000 miles on it. Except for a vacuum hose which was expensive, it is serving us well. The vehicle is easy to handle because it is smaller but easy to adjust for different uses. Rear seat folds down into floor or you can flip it back for tailgating. Has a/c vents front and rear, seats 7 and is easy getting in and out. Have driven it back and forth across west Texas twice now and did what I asked it to do.

sliding door windows go up and down. Rear seat folds into floor.