Used 2000 Lincoln LS Consumer Reviews

$963 - $2,315

Used LS for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Pretty to look at, but thats it!

johnjohn, 05/21/2004

Bought the car as a second vehicle to run around town in. Not too many problems the first few months, then the fuel tank dropped. (Apparently something that is common in these cars according to the service writer). Had it out and it began to snow.... not recomended for ANYTHING other than dry pavement. For only having a V-6, the requirement for having atleast 91 octane is rediculouis. $2.25 a gallon to fill this puppy up :-(

luxury 5 speed sleeper

ntec, 05/24/2004

Let me start by saying this car is a big time sleeper. This is a BMW 5 series fighter all the way at half the cost. I don't think you could spend your money on a better USED luxury car than this. I was looking for a Lexus way overpriced or a Acura Legend old & overpriced.One test drive of this car and the rest is history.The 5spd tranny va voom you cannot get any more joy out of a luxury car than this .This can be driven hard with almost redline shifts or you can take it easy when you have to.Only problems so far,drivers heated seat doesn't work & oil in spark plug jackets.

Never buy first model year

jerryb, 06/10/2004

This car is great while under warranty 5 yr/48K miles. While the engine and power train perform well, the car was thrown together without much concern for maintenance. The climate control never works correctly, and $800 to fix, the themostat sticks $400 to repair as it's under the engine(happened twice). The valve covers leak oil and it $400 to replace gaskets as all sorts of stuff has to be removed to get at it. The window regulators are cheap plastic and break($200 to fix). Heated seats broke twice. Back of seat panel falls off, Great looking car, just sell it or get an extended warranty before it runs out.

Car of the Year?

IF6WERE9, 06/29/2004

Was I mistaken or was this a "Motor Trend Car of the Year"? If so, you have to wonder who paid off who. I'm sorry, but I would expect more from a "car of the year". It has 63,000 miles on it and in the year I've had it, I've had to replace both motors in the rear electric windows, ball joints, and a T- valve for the AC (the passenger side blew hot while the driver's side blew cold). The dealer tells me I should really have the front end aligned every 5-6K miles or the tires wear out prematurely. If you have a phone in the console, you're out of storage space. Come on Ford, where's your quality control!!

The Most Fun Car I've Ever Owned

vipbrettp, 07/26/2004

In 2001 I got out of a Ford Taurus SHO and into a 2000 LS. I have to say that despite the signifigant drop in horsepower, and increase in weight (the LS weighs over 4000 lbs) the LS is still more fun to drive. I only say this as I have the 5 spd manual tranny. The engine is too weak for the automatic, which I think feels very underpowered (though newer models have steadly increased horsepower). The rear wheel drive and surperb balance make cornering a dream. Have had several interior trim issues as have been noted elsewhere. All window regulators have been replaced. I do have oil in the spark plug wells, causing the car to missfire. Now the break l

Lincoln LS is a Classy car

gkarg, 08/18/2004

I have really enjoyed my 2000 LS. I have had nary a problem with this vehicle and the satisfaction of ownership has been excellent. Long distance trips are a breeze. The early Duratec V6's don't have quite enough low-end umph - but when not loaded, there is ample power for every day commuting. The handling is superb. Ride is awesome. The safety features and ratings were a high point for me. I do not drive it in the winter, but with snow tires - it will perform in snowy conditions just fine.

I'm a HAPPY guy

oldn0tded, 10/08/2004

An excellent car. I have driven mine 15000 miles and the car is better than I had hoped. I have the Sport Package and don't believe I have ever driven a better handling 4 door, period. The reliability has been as good as any car I have ever owned. The dealer has been very supportive even though I bought mine used. I have had minor things, ie. the license tag lights have had to be replaced, under warranty. I agree with the owner that stated Lincoln/Mercury is not marketing the car properly. It's an American made BMW. Contrary to the magazine comments, I love the styling. I really can't relate to Cadillacs new direction or what Chris Bangle has done to BMW .

My Leased Lincoln

Fred Nickols, 03/11/2003

I leased a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 with no intention of ever owning it. After three years, I've changed my mind. It is the best riding, best performing car I've ever had.

Lots of minor but expensive problems

lee tallent, 12/29/2004

This is a great looking car which is fun to drive and handles great. I bought mine used in 02 and it has been in the shop 12-15 times in the last 2 1/2 years. The extended warranty ran out 5,000 miles ago and since then I have had to replace 2 coils, Approx 180.00 each time and a third is now in need of replacement along with leaky gaskets ect (another 580.00 to repair) This is 'affordable luxury' which I just can't afford. I am ready to trade because I wonder what is going to happen next.

V8 Style is Peppy

Gene, 08/22/2005

This was not my first Lincoln but it was the finest yet in a package that would fit in my small garage. I have experienced no mechanical problems at all (mileage is now at 66,000). Interior wood and leather trimming was done with great care and quality. Controls are clear. Driver 1 and driver 2 setting re-align steer, mirrors, seat, lighting and radio. The automatic headlamps and windshield wiper sensors are as good as most of the Lexus models. The instant response for power on highway access roads is impressive. The only negative is the small trunk space; on a par with the Jaguar XK series.

Fun to Drive

Randy, 09/16/2005

Great car for a winding road (with the sport package). Replaced a Pontiac Bonneville w/ this LS and was amazed at the tight road-hugging suspension. I love getting on a curvy road, hitting the curves as speed, and holding on for the ride!

Looks brand new

Stacy, 10/06/2005

I love the way this car looks and drives. No one ever believes that the car is 5 years old now. It looks good!

Great Ride

CXO, 07/17/2006

Great ride, great styling! But, prepare for a VERY expensive car to maintain with NO room in the trunk or glove compartment.

I love my LS

Stan, 08/14/2006

I've had this car since it was brand new, and I still enjoy driving it. It has a perfect weight distribution (50% front and 50% rear) and so it has an amazing amount of stability and road gripping ability. Admittedly, I baby it quite a bit ( I always keep it in the garage, always service on time, and don't put on a lot of miles), but I've had very little trouble with this car in almost seven years of driving it. My daughter will be starting to drive soon, and she is begging me to give her the car. She loves it, but I'm not sure that I want to give it up!

My dream car turned nightmare

Shadigga, 03/17/2007

I haven't had this car(00 v8) 4 more than a yr and its a nightmare.i've spent almost 2000 with repairs.thermostat, 2 window regs, ball joint,upper control arm, tire rod, gaskets, tires, brakes, with repairs left to be made. this was my dream car and i wish i had never bought it.

Enjoyed this car!

Pete Shemetulskis, 05/04/2007

Other than the transmission which I have found to be a problem for Lincolns, unless the fluid is changed early, this car has been a very good addition to my family. I would highly recommend owning one.

Love It!

YARNELLF, 05/18/2007

I purchased this car because I like luxury cars and I always wanted one! Beautiful car for drivers who are not rough drivers and know when and how to take care of a luxury automobile. You cannot take care of this car the same way you take care of a car like a Saturn, Pontiac or Kia.

Love it!

Rosi, 07/08/2007

I bought this car in 2005 with 62k mls on it and since then it is really a good purchase. Never left me stranded or alone. Pleasure to drive, but tranny could be quicker to downshift. I had to change so far: sway bar bushings, brakes (75k mls), spark plugs, water pump hose, tranny fluid. Problem with fueling (still pending; evap hose broken or flap valve sticking). Otherwise regular maintenance, would buy again.

Fun car to own/head turner

Mikewmp, 04/26/2003

Purchased this automoble after seing a few around, after test driving several times i purchased the great automoble. Has been in the shop twice once for and accident that this vehicle held up very well during collision and those rear windows. I think other comsumers think every car they buy should be perfect and those that have problem with this vehicle can find that every vehicle is perfect in any fleet show me one. It all has to do with the dealership and the working realtionship. So far great automobile. Remember a human build it.

No more

chris s, 09/21/2007

Fun to drive and that's about it. 64000 miles and the car is slowely falling apart. Tranny problems, leaky oil valves, radio display don't work, replaced interior mirror and exterior. air bag light come on due to cut wire under the seat. Dealer made it sound like it was my fault because I had my seat set on easy entry.... too many problems to keep it. My wife has a Toyota with 120k miles and no problems. Lincoln, Ford stinks they don't stand behind their product no wonder they have problems.. Can't wait to get rid of this junk. No more American cars, sad but true.

Sally Steiner, 09/15/2007

What a welcome change from the lumbering behemoths of Lincoln's recent past. This car was really quick, fun to drive, good looking inside and had very good amenities for driver and passenger alike. White Pearl finish was awesome. I wish Lincoln would have simply kept working on upgrading the car instead of discontinuing it. Could have been a classic.

Don't buy one

Kevin Real, 05/02/2003

Purchased car used with 27K miles. Have experienced problems with engineoil leakage around gaskets. Both gaskets have been replaced. Power seats both motor failed. Heated element for seat shorted. Front head light both had to be replaced (Condensation). Rear brake light casing fills with water when raining. Door trim on driver door came off. Radio does not work on AM frequency. Catalytic Converter had to be replaced. The car has been in the dealership on 8 occassion my first 7 months with the car. Storage inside vehicle limited at best i.e glove box.

Lincoln LS

sjsjsjsjsjsj, 04/03/2003

I have had several electrical problems with this vehicle. When I step on it, the transition is VERY rough. It jerks into the next gear.

Excellent Value

LLP, 03/11/2002

I find this vehicle is quick & handles extremely well. The Lincoln service has been the best! This car has been great & I have ordered a 2002 V8 Premium with all available options. One minor annoyance - it rides a little stiff over pot holes but out on the highway it is fantastic.

I love it but needs more room

tailogan, 05/28/2003

Well i have had this car since last year november and i have only had minor problems with it so far but over all it is a champion it does the job with a whole lot of power plus i have hooked up a little so that ir rides really good...but over all i think it is a great car

Happy for 3 years

mdsamitchell, 06/02/2003

First time in this catagory of vehicle and first Lincoln (now have an Aviator). Bought for the price in catagory and like made in USA. 38000 trouble-free miles.

Still Fun to Drive

markl, 06/08/2003

I bought the V8 LS in the first model year. Other than a couple of minor (i.e. < 1/2 day) warranty repairs, it's been a great vehicle to own and maintain. I've put 56,000 miles on it so far and I'm having as much fun driving it today as I did the day I bought it. The handling is just superb and the ride is great.

Great Used Car Buy

jonp, 10/03/2002

What a great car! Good for me it depreciates fast. I have owned Bimmer's, Volvo's, SAAB's, and others and the fit finish is great. The value for the used car dollar is awesome!

I LOVE MY LINCOLN LS

rainjogger, 06/14/2003

I bought my V8 LS in July 2000, waiting for the bugs of the "new" lincoln car to be cleaned up. I have only average driving mileage (30k)for 3 years, but love the way my car drives and the wonderful milage of the V8 sport. I have only had one issue - a rear window motor replacement. The car has provided enough power and enthusiasm whether I'm driving to pick up my kids or to visit distant relatives 600+ miles away. Please don't change my car platform so I can get it again for my next car!

Jackofms, 03/15/2002

Even though it is a 6, this is the best driving car I've had.

Needs more power for the price

msmac500, 03/17/2002

The car is beautiful to look at. It lacks power though. The 5-speed is pretty slow in my opinion and it makes a lot of noise without really going anywhere. When the lease comes up for renewal I may opt for the V-8 LS or go to another brand such as the Cadillac CTS which is a little less expensive for a little more car.

I'd buy another - wish the V8 had a 5 Sp

Greg R-LSv6, 03/18/2002

I am an ex race car owner/driver. I wanted a reasonably priced performance sedan. While I want the BMW M5, it is outrageously expensive. The Ls is very fun to drive, predictable, and honestly powerful enough for street driving. I look forward to every trip in that car. A key buying factor was the Gertrag 5-speed. I had to have a manual

MBlount, 03/22/2002

So far, my experience with my LS has been excellent. I got the V8 Sport package and highly recommend it. The handling is so much better. I personally love the exterior styling except for the rear tail lights. Too many people think it is a Mitsubishi Diamante from the rear. The car is a really good value if you purchase one used. Mine stickered for over $40,000 new, but I paid $26,000 for it when it came off a two year lease with only 24,000 miles. If you are currently considering a new Camry, Maxima, Accord, or similar car, I highly recommend you look at this car used. You are getting much more car for the money.

They STILL Don't Believe It's A Lincoln

Stan The Man, 03/23/2002

It's been almost 2 years since I got my LS Sport (V8). Even now, people still ask me what kind of car it is because of the way it looks and performs. Its the best car I've ever owned or driven. This (rear wheel drive) car is very sure-footed. Grips the road even when you add a little water. The handling is just superb! Love that Advance Trac. The Select Shift too! For around forty grand, this vehicle is a work of art!!!

Good looking, nasty repairs

amy, 05/08/2008

Too many things going wrong with it. Three window regulators replaced at 350 a piece, had to put ceramic brake pads because of the brake dust, rear tail light leaking water in it, both catalytic converters, driver side window fell while driving on the highway. Air bag light stuck on. Love the syle though, just not dependable. Drives in the snow terrible. I get stuck every year in my driveway and slide all over the roads. Do not recommend to first time drivers. No space in the back seats.

Fantastic to drive but expensive to own

Joey, 03/19/2019
V8 4dr Sedan

Love driving this car, but just don't be surprised by high repair and gas costs, as well as maintenance and parts

Under $3 grand/ basic maintenance

Rey Doogie, 04/09/2019
V6 4dr Sedan

I got this 2000 LS for $2000 in 2019. I also own a 2015 Dodge charger. The Lincoln has more features, luxury and no unexpected cost if you do regular maintenance. Also left me with a couple Grand to get it up to date. Best purchase I ever made. All I did was change oil, filter, cabin air filter, top O2 sensors, air cleaner, flush radiator, change diff. Oil, and wiper blades. That's it!!! So easy to work on I'm looking for a manual

51050