Used 2014 Lexus ES 300h Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used ES 300h for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Excellent luxury hybrid!

oreoelsa, 03/03/2014
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just bought this car in late January, so we haven’t put in as many miles as some other folks. Having said that, I have a daily commute averaging 100 miles, so I think I am qualified to write a review on this car by now :) To put it simply, if your objective is to purchase a nice, luxurious family car that is beautiful inside and out and gives excellent gas mileage, then you simply just can’t go wrong with this car. For context, we purchased the Ultra Premium Luxury package with the Mark Levinson audio system. While this car may not be the fastest luxury car out there (spend another $50,000 in change and get a Tesla Model S then), it is a phenomenal grand touring car, no question.

Extraordinary Hybrid

rzca, 01/23/2014
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded our RX 450 h, which we loved, for a bit better fuel mileage - boy did we get it. Driving home from the dealer, all highway, the car averaged 39 MPG at speeds between 65 and 75. It was smooth, eerily quiet and handled extremely well. If you don't drive it like a race car and accelerate smoothly and hold your speeds nicely, you WILL get the mileage claimed. Others who complain about the mileage do NOT drive that way - we have owned five hybrids and that IS always the case. The complainers never drive the way the car was designed. We also love the lengthened body - it provides a great deal of leg room in the back - our taller, larger passengers love it!

Lov'n this car

mpgsaver13, 01/03/2015
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Update: July 2017: I was in an accident and the car was amazing with minimal damages done compared to the amount of force it absorbed. It did surprising well. Had the car fix d with OEM parts and is like brand new. Love this car! Gas mileage is still awesome! I've owned this car for two months now and feel ready to give a review. I traded in my 06 Acura TL. My daily commute is 140 hwy miles round trip (Oakland to Stockton, CA). I drive over two large hill ranges, dare I say, one is mountainous. 98% of my driving is hwy miles and my mileage is amazing. If I drive 70-75 mph, I'll get 39-41mpg, while if I go 65-69 mph, I can get 42 mpg. I've tried just about every way to drive. Easy going, to "really" easy going and in ECO mode gets me the same as in Normal mode. In sport mode and driving really hard I'm getting 34- 35 but again that's fast at every turn, on ramp, and passing other cars.

great

brendan23, 07/30/2014
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is a great car and i have been getting 40 mpg on the road. i don't get how people get like 26 mpg they must be driving fast. Update: After 7 years of owning it, I have not experienced any problems with it.

Great gas mileage!!

DaveC, 10/08/2016
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the 2014 300H 7/2016. In the city, I get 35 to 37 mpg. Highway, it is more like 38. Car is very comfortable. Seat vents work great especially in the summer. Heated steering wheel is a welcome addition in the cold mornings. I have had the call now for three years. Since it was 'Dealer Certified', all maintenance (oil changes and other fluids, air filter changes, tire rotation and car washes) have all been free. But now I have to pay. But watch out, every now and then, the dealer tries to 'sell' another service that is not covered (like wheel alignment - which is not necessary unless you have been hitting lots pot holes or curbs). The dealer service are is very clean - and full of light refreshments (fruit, hot chocolate, cookies, chips, soda, etc) plus several rooms to watch whatever TV channel you want while you wait. Did I say they also have WiFi in case you need it.

My First Lexus

John Alexander, 07/17/2015
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned Toyotas for years and still have and love my Land Cruiser. My wife drives an Avalon which has given us great service over the years. I built my Lexus 300H online last year and got it just as I specified. It has exceeded my expectations for a year and I can't believe I waited until last year to get one. The Fire Agate Pearl color is just beautiful and I have no regrets in getting my first Lexus whatsoever.

Peppy performance for hybrid

Chuck Anderson, 07/24/2017
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you think "hybrid" translates to "doggy," you'd be wrong with this car. Well-built, quiet and smooth ride. All the bells and whistles you need and most of what you want. Recently drove to FL for 3 months; combined mileage for entire trip was 42 mpg

A great car

Don Nattkemper, 03/27/2016
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Of 50 years of buying all types of cars, I can honestly say that this 2014 Lexus hybrid beats them all hands down. As I trade cars every two or three years I have ordered a Tesla Model X and it breaks my heart to have to part with my 300h but no garage space to keep it. It's the best car I have ever owned.

Tons of "Normal" Defects

Ryan, 10/08/2015
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'll start by saying I believe the issues I had with a brand new 2014 Lexus ES300H was due to a defective car, not consistent with others. I simply have to assume this is the case. I had two major issues never resolved which forced me to break the lease and sell the car. #1 - after 6 months of owning the car, when the car reaches about 30 miles an hour, a large rattle would occur lasting a few seconds. I took it to the Santa Monica Lexus repair shop. I was able to demonstrate the issue during a test drive with the head shop foreman. After 1 week in the shop they identified the issue as being the heat shield. The heat shield was "repaired", I picked up the car, the problem returned. This went on for 2 more visit before I gave up and took it to another Lexus repair shop. Long story short, that repair shop stated the sound is "normal" and therefore didn't want to repair it. The sound was very loud. Not possible to have a sound like that on any new car. The second problem had to do with the A/C. Each time I started my car with the A/C already in the 'ON' position, a mildew smell would come out the vents. I was told this is caused by a buildup of water in the engine area, also considered "Normal". The advice was to turn the AC off before starting the car which is ridiculous for a brand new car. Between these two issues and the terrible service, I decided to bite the bullet by getting out of the lease (at a significant cost). I am happy to be rid of the car and will never by a Lexus again.

2014 Lexus ES300h Unfortunately is a step back!

Queen Bee, 08/25/2017
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my third Lexus and my first hybrid. The 34 mpg and the fact that it runs on "regular" gas is great, however, Lexus made some lower quality moves inside the car that I find quite annoying: They put composition felt (many pieces of different colored felt pressed together) on the sides of each front seat, facing to the console. TACKY!! There is no longer a light in the coin compartment which is located on the far left under the dash, causing one to have to remove change to hold it up to look at it under the light at night: CHEAP! Lastly, I absolutely hate the Lexus GPS system! It was outdated when I bought the car and a year later, when I asked the Lexus dealer to update it, the Lexus service man blew up my whole sound system including the radio (which they replaced free of charge, but I was without my car over a week!). When I received my car back, the GPS was still the same outdated one! As my work involves traveling to new clients daily, I also pay $300 annually for live Lexus Navigation Assistance and they are wrong half the time! and the other half, their system hasn't added new addresses! I finally asked who they use to find addresses and they said BING! I found that I can Google it on my phone and receive more accurate directions, much quicker! When I asked the operator to use Google, she responded that they aren't allowed to use Google! Shame on Lexus for cheapening what used to be a "TOP OF THE LINE" car!

51050