Used 2013 Lexus ES 300h Consumer Reviews

Used ES 300h for Sale
Select your model:
1...234567

Pros
Cons

Amazed at how quickly I’ve forgotten about my BWM.

Doobster6, 12/25/2019
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Maybe it’s because Lexus redesigned the 2013 ES to handle better, and they pretty much nailed it. I had convinced myself that only my pristine 2006 BMW 5-Series had the ideal combination of competent handling and ride quality and up through 2010 that probably was true. But other cars have caught up, this Lexus among them. Even pushed well past the limits at which I normally drive a car the 2013 ES has proven the equal of the legendary Bimmer. Only it also rides much better too, and is quieter too. I am enjoying every minute behind the wheel of this car, and it is the only car from among many others I tried, including Infiniti and Mercedes that could have pried me out of the Bimmer. I never thought any Japanese car could ever do that. Bimmer;...what Bimmer? And since my driving style has long since moved past the excesses of my youth the ES hybrid provides all the power I need, yet provides the potential to get over 40 mpg in non-highway driving, something no gas-fired BMW could ever do. The interior is absolutely gorgeous and a feast for the eyes, and even the exterior styling is contemporary; better than on their newer versions, IMHO. The heated and cooled seats are supportive and comfortable, and even the ‘base’ radio blows most others away. And of course, the biggest bonus, and a prime determinant in me switching brands, is getting legendary reliability and low operating costs that Toyota is known for, something that BMW will NEVER be able to claim. I was lucky enough to find a seven year old Lexus certified used car with only 19k miles that almost can’t be told from new, so I’m finally feeling really good about my ride, not having to worry about what the next expensive thing will be to fail on my used BMW. Some have complained about the mouse-pad-like controller for the NAV/Audio system and initially I thought they had a point. But now I’m over it; it’s a simple learning curve folks, and not that hard to learn. It’s just different, but not worse than anything else. I like that I don’t have to reach up to touch a screen or buttons that my eyes will have to search for, and then still have to also look at the screen. This is a car that handles and rides great and can be driven like a ‘normal’ car but get 50% better mpg. According to the car’s calculations I’ve already gotten over 42 mpg in mixed driving, although I don’t know yet how accurate that is. And no, it won’t equal the fossil fuel frugality of a pure electric, but it also never needs to be charged for hours either; just gas it up like you would any other car, only get up to 40 mpg. Its only blemish might be that it has less trunk space than its gas-engine twin because of the hybrid battery pack, but Other than that, it might be the ideal mid-sized luxury car. It’s that whole cake-and-eating-it-too thing, and this car let’s you do both. I’ll update this later with accurate mpg figures and more real-world driving experience. Update on 6/25/2020. Non-highway mpg is around 34, almost twice what the Bimmer got. It would improve if I drove in ‘ECO’ mode but I like the response better in ‘normal’. The response in ‘Sport’ is significantly better still, but also achieves significantly less mpg (like 26). Other than that I remain completely satisfied with this car and am still excited about owning it and driving it. I might not have felt this way with an earlier (than 2013) Lexus model but this one has converted this former BMW driver. I will note that one must be careful leaving intersections when it’s raining; the immediate torque from the electric motor assist will spin the tires easily from a stop. That’s where AWD would make this the perfect car! UPDATE 12/29/2020 I replaced the Lexus in late August with a newer 2017 Infiniti QX50 compact SUV. We got rid of our third car which was a Mercury Mountaineer with AWD and after twenty years of enjoying the confidence of us each having an AWD car during winter, I didn’t want to now find myself trying to make it through the ocassional snow covered road in a hybrid car with a torquey electric motor spinning its tires. The Infiniti’ mpg is mediocre at best but it is otherwise a stellar ‘all around’ great car which I will review separately. Had we kept a third AWD vehicle, or if the Lexus been AWD, I most certainly would have kept it for another ten to fifteen years!!! The Infiniti should be decent regarding operating costs; WAY better than any BMW, but I don’t think it will match a Toyota product. And just this model year Lexus has finally introduced an AWD ES350 sedan (but not yet the hybrid sedan). That might be enough to entice me to switch back in a couple more years when I can look for a certified used one!

Why would I own anything else? Well now I do...

Doobster6, 06/09/2020
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This pristine, one-owner, ultra-low miles (19k in 2020) car replaced a wonderful BMW 5-Series that ran perfectly but cost an arm and leg to maintain and repair. The Lexus handles as well for everyday driving (but probably has lower absolute performance/speed limits) and rides better. The interior is much nicer, and it is roomier in the back seat. Acceleration up to 60 mph matches the Bimmer and I get 30 mpg ‘around town’ and 45+ mpg on the highway; numbers that the Bimmer could never have achieved. The ‘cherry on top’ is the proven reliability of the Toyota brand and the hybrid drivetrain. I now drive feeling a sense of peace, serenity and calm, instead of a perpetual dread worrying about what might go wrong next or when the next expensive service is due. It used to be that only BMW could build a car that could blend competent handling and ride quality but lots of other manufacturers have finally caught up. 2013 was the first year for the Lexus ES300h hybrid and also Lexus’ new chassis competence that sacrificed very little in ride quality while vastly improving vehicle dynamics. Seriously, it compares well to the E60 5-series which, IMHO, is the best 5-series BMW ever made. So far my only regret is that I didn’t come to my senses sooner. I do wish it had AWD like my Bimmer had.though. The electric motor that kicks in from a dead stop is so torquey that I easily spin the front tires, even in dry conditions; it can almost be dangerous when roads are wet. I might consider trading it for their AWD Lexus hybrid SUV, which gets about the same mpg, although I still Ike sedans more. 12 MONTH UPDATE I sold it and bought the AWD car I hinted at wanting. The high-torque electric motor in the Lexus hybrid often spun my wheels in the rain and was worse in the snow. I wound up leaving it home on snow days and drove our Mountaineer SUV instead. But then we shrunk our fleet down to two vehicles and I wanted something I could feel secure driving anytime under any conditions, i.e.; AWD. I would have bought a used Lexus SUV if I could have found one under my self-imposed budget of $25k but found a 2017 Infiniti QX50 instead and I am the happiest camper in the world!! It is based on a RWD chassis and has handling dynamics that compare very favorably with my 2008 BMW 335xi I had, excellent ride quality that matches the 2006 BMW 530xi, and with 325 HP can also almost match that 3-series for acceleration. Better seating position, better egress, bigger trunk and overall more cargo capacity, more room for rear seat passengers, excellent technology (mine is fully loaded) are among its virtues. Mediocre mpg (18/27 real-world experience) is its only demerit. And now I can drive anywhere, anytime I want. If the Lexus had been an AWD sedan that got 40 mpg I would have kept it forever; it was that good. But I’m actually more satisfied now with this Infiniti, although the mpg is obviously disappointing compared to the Lexus.

You wont be sorry

Amanda, 12/10/2020
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hands down the best car I have ever owned. I was a very loyal Nissan customer. Love the cars. I had 4 Altima's and 2 Maxima's super reliable safe cars. I was ready for a change in the form of a Lexus. I purchased my 2013 es300h in 2014 fresh off a lease. It had 24mi on it. As of today 12/10/2020 I am just breaching 80 mi. I have done nothing but routine maintenance and new tires. I couldn't be happier with this car. I would buy another Lexus in a heart beat.

1...234567