2019 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:
12345...20

Pros
Cons

I like the car, watch out for dealer installed opt

Jesse Koehn, 07/28/2018
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ordered a touring model with parking sensors. Dealer had to install parking sensors, they do not work, system error, to install they had to remove both front and back bumpers, remove drivers seat, carpet, this should be standard equipment from the factory. The holes they drilled for the parking sensors have chipped rough cut holes around the sensors, and they scratched and dented the drivers side bottom door panel. It took the dealer over 8 hours to install and the car shows a service error on the dashboard, and do not work. I would show pictures, but Edmund's does not have any options to upload.

Almost Perfect Package

Don Elman, 07/17/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you want Prius-like gas mileage, a compact sedan with good-sized trunk, Apple CarPlay, and modern safety features, the 2019 Honda Insight EX seems like an excellent package at a reasonable price. We purchased this model as soon as it arrived in dealers and have driven it for three weeks on city streets, freeways, and country roads. It’s quiet, comfortable, peppy, and drives like a dream with standard assistive features like adaptive cruise and lane keeping. Though it lacks radar-based blind spot/rear cross traffic detection, the right-side LaneWatch camera has been helpful when changing lanes. The controls and entertainment interface—while perhaps suffering from too many choices—seem intelligently designed and fairly easy to learn. Overall we have not been disappointed.

6 months and 25k miles later

Kelley Brown, 03/07/2019
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As you can see from my title I put a lot of miles on my car, and after 25,000 miles I'm still in love with my car. I will never buy another gas only car again. The responsiveness and torque of electric drivetrain is awesome. It's like flipping a light switch. No engine building up momentum, no shifting, just instantaneous power. Not to mention this car is loaded with features which makes it feel as futuristic as it looks. I've had trucks and cars of all different kinds try and race from a red light, only to get beaten by me using a fraction of the gas. The car gets from 0 to 30 in the blink of an eye, and as the speed gets higher it doesn't accelerate quite as fast which is typical for high torque instead of Horsepower. But it still has a pretty decent amount of power at +80mph. The fuel economy is dramatically affected at speeds high speeds but still averages into the mid thirties cruising at 85 miles an hour. At one point in time over a span of 25 miles I averaged 80 miles to the gallon. This was with climate control off the entire time and being pretty much as conservative as possible, but amazing that it's even possible. My only complaints are the automatic high beams which oftentimes randomly turn on when there is oncoming traffic so people in other vehicles are wondering why I'm flashing my brights at them and there is no way to turn it off permanently. And the Forward Collision Intervention system can be annoying, for example if the car in front of you is making a right turn and it's clear to you that they will be out of the way by the time you get to where they are and you're not going to rear end them, the car will sometimes start breaking unexpectedly even if you're pressing the gas pedal. I do not believe my car should ever override my input and should only apply brakes if I let off the gas but haven't hit the brake pedal yet. When you're accelerating and your car randomly starts braking, it's dangerous and compromises your control over the vehicle. A very good example of when this feature is dangerous is when you're trying to pass somebody and that's when they decide they want to speed up of course because that's what humans do. So you give it some gas so that you can hurry up and get ahead of them and get over before you get stuck behind the car in front of you in your lane and as you get close and start to change lanes, your car starts braking unexpectedly which both can cause you to no longer be going fast enough to get in front of the pain in the ass car that's now speeding up because you're trying to get around them, potentially causing a wreck, or the sudden jerk of the brakes being applied compromises the driver's control over the vehicle and potentially may cause you to completely lose control and wreck. This should be the same in all Honda vehicles with Honda sensing, and in my opinion is something the Honda needs to address immediately. There is no way to permanently turn off the forward Collision system, but you can do it every single time you get in your car manually which is an inconvenience. But other than the automatic high beams and the forward Collision system, I love my car.

Ad
Build Your Insight

Trusting Honda but I'm OK with that

Harley Burton, 05/31/2019
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've only owned the car for 2 weeks at this point, but it has been better than I anticipated as a whole. Obviously, acceleration isn't going to be on par with the average sedan. It IS a hybrid. However, it will surprise most people; especially if you have driven a Prius and expect that. It feels like a hybrid if you are expecting it to be sporty, but it doesn't feel like a hybrid if you are expecting it to feel "like a hybrid." Hope that made sense. I live in NW Georgia, so it's pretty hilly around here. I drive about 26 miles each way to and from work each day on hilly backroads, and I'm averaging around 48mpg. I can do better if I try, but this is "just driving." The car handles like a civic, and I personally think that is a good thing. It's snappy and tight around corners, with next to no body roll, while still riding acceptably smooth on rough roads. I'm a geek, and the infotainment system is great IMO. Google Auto with YouTube music subscription, Audible, and Waze/GoogleMaps is a great setup. The display is a good size for comfortably hitting controls without having to search for them while driving. Least of all, in my opinion, but probably important to most people, I get a lot of complements on the looks of the car. It really is pretty slick for what it is.

Nine Years Have Made a Difference on the Insight!

Eva Beasley, 03/14/2019
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have approximately 1,500 miles on my 2019 Honda Insight Touring. I can honestly say "Wow, Honda!" The look and feel of this car is so much better than the 2010 Honda Insight EX (which I owned in the past). I got rid of my older Insight because let's face it, it was ugly! If a Hybrid is going to look like a Prius then I don't want it.I don't think the Insight is perfect, but I do think it comes fairly close. Exterior, it really is a beautiful car. I get compliments on it so much so you would think I owned a luxury vehicle. It's sporty, but not too sporty. I feel like since I'm in my late-30's "gulp" it fits my personality well. Especially the Blue color! Interior, the seats aren't bad and the trunk space is roomy. As for the instrument panel, I did find a bug. There's no way to have the digital speedo read in MPH, only KMH. I've checked / asked / etc. What's funny is this is an issue in the USA, in Canada it's the other way around. I called Honda and reported it but they thought I was crazy. I went to the dealership and had to show them the issue as they didn't believe me. Sigh. Still nothing, I hope there's an OTA update that can fix this in the future. As for other "not crazy abouts" I miss not having the "blind spot" sensors but the right mirror camera isn't too bad, obviously not great at night but it's better than nothing. The MPG seems okay, I sometimes have a lead foot, but usually always get at least 42-43 MPG, which to me isn't bad at all. Lastly the pickup isn't good on the Interstate but it’s a Hybrid. I've tried Sport mode as well and see a bit better performance, however, I noticed that the Braking doesn't seem as sensitive when I have the Sport mode on. Does anyone else experience this? I may try to find a Honda Discussion Board. I found one but there was no category for Insight and I just wanted to share my thoughts with other owners. Lastly I’ve had the display cut out a few times when my cell was connected. It’s a little frustrating when using GPS but it hasn’t happened enough times to be a major issue. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!

12345...20