Used 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 3500 model:

I will never own a GMC product again
By mikep16

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

It is no wonder GMC's cannot compete with Ford any longer. I was sent an email to update this -12/29/17. Not sure why! Still the same title for sure but now worse, entire dashboard is not functional, speedo does not work, all other gages peg out when starting the truck. At least it is running-mostly. I have to hand pump the diesel filter to get the truck to start. Happens about once a month or so. (no it is not standar maintenance issue). Replacing the batteries annually now (seems something is draining them when I am not looking!)
I have received a call from Cust support about the dealer charge offering to reimburse some payment. I would have even considered changing my review if he would have helped. Then he disappeared!
From the Dealer using my truck to tow the owners horse trailer (when turned in for maintenance) and adding 100 miles to it...to the more than $3000 I had to put into the electrical within 3 months-to the instrument panel stopping to work (speedo, then oil pressure, then battery-which comes and goes) $900 fix it so I just use a GPS for my speedo-to the rattle in the steering because of design issue always going out....to the electric seat positioning clicking 7-8 times before settling into place-to now the heater/AC blower stopped working and a cost of $750 to fix it at PEP Boys.
Thanks to youtube the heater fix will only cost me $150 in parts.
(my friend just had the same thing happen to his Tahoe and had to pay $750)
The heater went out again in a couple of weeks. replace resistor again, heater stopped again!
Either this truck is a lemon OR my favorite GMC's are on their way out of business.
(I am in Quality management and would not have allowed anything close to this happening where I work)

2004 3500 Duramax 6.6 SLT DRW Crew Cab
By Pilot

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for almost 4 years, and I have nothing but good to say. I have a 37' 5th wheel, which when loaded is right at 16300 lbs and it pulls it great. Now I'm not going to tell you that I don't know the 5th wheel is back there, but this truck is a joy to drive while pulling. She'll be paid for in a couple of months, and I plan to keep her for a long time.

Duramax engine and Alison transmission combo. This is a great team!

I wish GMC would come out with some nice wheels for the 3500. I ended up getting Alcoa wheels.

Duramax Dually 2004
By Gilles

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the Sierra dually Duramax (LLY - 310hp & 605flbs) to pull a heavy fifth wheel and so far my experience has been trouble free. So far I am fully satisfied although I only have 30,000 km and time will provide more information on reliability of the Duramax. I find it fun to drive and fuel efficiency is good compared to the other diesel (Ford & Chrysler). It provide plenty of performance compare to a gas engine. The interior is perhaps blend as per the critics but it provides a price advantage compare to the Ford's King Ranch. It does not take away from the performance.

I think that the Allison transmission is the main feature of the truck. The exterior design around the dual wheels has a more aerodynamic appeal.

The interior design could be improved but not at the expense of reliability. There are after market products available to increase output (hp & torque) that I wish GM would test and permit without invalidating the warranty.

Duramax Power
By BigIron

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I haul a 11'6" Lance Legend camper and
pull a 8'x12' trailer with it loaded
with ATV's and a motorcycle and the
truck does all I want it to. I traded
a Powerstroke in and I am pleased that
I did. It's quite and rides and
handles a lot better then my old Ford.
I am getting around 12mpg at freeway
speeds with this load.

Power and handling. The ride is great also and it is quite.

None

Piece of crap
By Carlos Fernandez

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This was the worst vehicle i ever had.
It broke down right as i was pulling
out of the dealership. The dealership
then actually charged me for towing it
the 10 feet to the service area!!
Turns out the axle was faulty. They
also found that the radiator leaked too.

I suggest getting a ford or a dodge