Used 2003 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews

$18,900

Used Excursion for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

what a beast

george dougherty, 10/20/2015
Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck - purchased in 2003 new. 180k miles. no major issues and still runs great. Last week a Dodge Ram rear ended me at thirty five miles an hour while I was stopped at a light. His truck is trashed, broken rad., power steering fluid all over the place, need to be towed. My fender is dented and tail light broken. has been on the beach, in 20 inches of snow, towed horses and other cars out of snow drifts, and has suffered my wife hitting posts etc. It keeps on going strong.

When you have to take everything with you!

chuckt6, 10/15/2012

2 big dogs(50 lbs and 90 lbs), 3 kids, The wife and I, and all our travel stuff fit fine in this monster. We purchased ours in 2010 with 122,000 miles on it. We've put 20K miles on it with minimal problems. We did replaced the ball joints($900) and put in new spark plugs($600). Great value for the vehicle, all leather, and comfortable. We purchased ours from a private party for $7400. The V10 engine is a gas hog, but will go for 300K miles. Same engine used in buses and limo's. Average about 12 mpg, but it that is better than driving two cars and getting 20 mpg in each car.

The Biggest and Best SUV Ever Created

Kurt Young, 10/25/2015
Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My current Excursion is my best Excursion by far. My first was the Limited 6.8L V10. My current Excursion exceeds and surpasses in all categories. I'll keep this one as long as parts are made for it. I see other SUVs on the road and wonder why bother. I've added after market airbag shocks which has increased the towing capabilities and smoothness of ride while towing. I tow a 10K lbs travel trailer year round, and my excursion has no problem whether pulling passes in Montana or on the long flats of Florida.

2003 Excursion

McDuck, 08/22/2003

We really like this rig. I've owned two Suburbans and I like this Excursion much better. I am amazed by the fuel milage with the 7.3 diesel-- 18 to 20 mpg. We got the Eddie Bauer version and the drop down DVD is a huge hit. Might buy a second one if I can get a good enough deal. Only complaint so far is poor visibility out of right side mirror. It would benefit from a larger parabolic mirror.

I love this car!!

carrie6yoga, 10/18/2003

I needed more room. And I like fords. So this rig really won me over, it looks better than the suburban and pulls better too!

MY 4TH EXCURSION

TONY COX, 11/29/2003

I LIVE IN TEXAS WHERE IT IS TURE WE TRAVEL 22 MILES JUST FOR BREAKFAST. THIS VEHICLE IS AN EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR CAMPING AND TRAVELING, TOWING. THIS NEW 6.0 DIESEL IS QUITE AND HAS PLENTY OF GO POWER. THE BEST NEW FEATURE IS THE 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION. VERY COMFORTABLE OVER LONG DISTANT EXCURSIONS.

Long Live the Beast

Forest, 08/14/2009

We bought our 2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 diesel new in September 2003. It does double duty as the company truck and the family hauler. We tow our 34' 10,000 lb trailer on long family vacations. Estimate that we have towed the travel trailer at least 30,000 miles since 2003. Everybody is comfortable on long road trips and we have plenty of room left over. We did one ski trip to Colorado with only the truck and 6 people (and all equipment) on board. Went 75 mph and got over 18 mpg for the trip. Truck is very stable in slippery conditions. It is a bit clumsy around town, but heck--it is a truck. Too bad we may never see such a vehicle sold for the American family again.

Power!

skypilot, 08/20/2003

I've had the X for 2 months and 7000 miles now; still great! Power up the wahzoo, pulls our 5000 lb. boat like it's not even there. Wanders though... steering is vague and directional control is minimal, it just doesn't want to go straight down the road, gotta pay attention all the time. The 6.0 engine is the only way to go, 16.5-21 mpg, kills anything you'll see from the other engines.

Great Family and Tow Unit.

Gopher19432003, 10/24/2003

We use our Excursion for family vacations and towing a 35' travel trailer. This is a wonderful vehicle. It is well made, powerful, quiet and gets surprisingly good mileage. On diesel fuel, we average 18 MPG in town and 22 on the highway. When pulling the trailer, highway mileage drops to 19. I have never had a vehicle that can handle a trailer this large with such ease. I can drive all day and not fell beat.

FORDS BEST KEPT SECRET

Arthur Martin, 11/01/2003

The Excursion is the best kept secret. the 6.0 Turbo Diesel gets excellent fuel mileage, I don't know where the critics get there 411 on fuel economy? I wouyld take an Excursion over a Suburban any day.

The Biggest and Baddest

Excursion Lover, 01/03/2003

For all those that think the X is a waste of metal, What else can you haul 8 people in comfort and pull a 33ft 9000lbs trailer and have fun doing it, a Honda? I don't think so. So to all you X haters, I say bring it on!!!!!

I love my X

esther, 02/08/2003

I used to drive a Chrysler mini van and moved up for more space. Diesel is the only way to go with this X. I get better gas mileage with my X than I did with my van. 23 on highways. 19- 20 city. I love all the room and cargo space.

6.0 Powerstroke Excursion

Higgins, 02/16/2003

This Excursion with the new 6.0 Powerstroke is absolutely the most powerful vehicle I have ever owned. At the same time I am getting a combined mileage of about 17.5 Mpg. If you want to haul the family in a "big un" this is the vehicle. We love it.

Best Vehicle I Ever Owned

igmu, 07/30/2003

I have the 6.0L. Eddie Bower. I get 22MPG hwy unloaded. This truck can use biodiesel which puts out almost no pollution and saves on foreign oil imports. It make no sense to discontinue this vehicle when it is more enviromentally friendly then a Honda.

Love our X!

New Jersey, 06/05/2009

We use this vehicle for daily use, trips and to tow our 33ft TT. We could not be happier, Gas mileage is awesome with the Diesel. My wife loves driving this thing daily and we love the space we have when traveling. The DVD player has saved us many times on trips. Our stock tires (The Pirelli's) lasted us 85,000 miles and I am still on the stock brake pads. Buy one before they are all gone!

Big Bad Truck not a SUV

Edendp, 12/24/2002

Had a Lincoln Navigator before but needed more tow power. The diesel is great and I am very happy with it (the wife hates it when I start it up in the garage....)I love the rumble and the power and the milege for such a large vehicle. The ride is very trucky but this is a truck and not a suv. It pulls my triple axle boat trailer and boat (40' long and 9000lbs) with ease. Launching is a pleasure. 4 wheeling is great when hunting but tricky on tight turns in the bush

big guy car

kakis10, 09/06/2003

Got diesel fuel economy 17 mpg. at present only complaint vehicle had no rear sway bar. I added one from hellwig big diffence. ford warranty needs to be addressed 3yr/360000 bumper to bumper. 5yr/100000 on drive train which means diesel motor only.

DIESEL POWER THE ONLY WAY

6509481, 09/29/2003

LOTS OF POWER WITH THE 7.3L, UNDER FULL LOAD AND TOWING 7500LB'S, THE BABY GETS UP TO HIGHWAY SPEEDS FAST. WITH NO ONE ELSE BUT THE DRIVER ON BOARD YOU AND BLOW THE DOORS OFF ALMOST ALL SPORTS CARS AND TRUCKS OFF THE LINE AND HANDELS GREAT IN THE TURNS. LOYS OF ROOM FOR LUGGAGE BE HID THE 3RD SEAT. A MUST FOR ANY FAMILY WITH MORE THAN 2 KIDS.

6.0 Diesel Works For Me

jberg, 10/30/2003

I bought my Excursion in June and have put on 8200 miles since. Most use is at 75 to 80 mph on highway trips without a trailer. On those trips, I get over 20 mpg. I have a 28' transporter which I use to haul ATV's and camp in. With the loaded trailer behind it, the mpg drops down to 11. I can pull the trailer both up and down hill as fast as I care to.

My Big Black X

chip, 02/12/2003

This vehicle does it ALL. I sold my RAM2500 4wd V10 and got this. The ram was good, THIS THING IS GREAT. Towing, fuel economy, power...AWESOME!! My wife was terrified to drive it at first (used to her 5 series BMW) but now I have to fight with her to drive it. She loves it. The only problem is I can't fit it in the garage. Oh well. After I lift it, it wouldn't fit in there anyway. Buy one if you're in the market.

Best of the Hosses

cruiser, 03/09/2008

My first Excursion. Traded my F350 Superduty 7.3. My Excrusion has all of the towing power of the truck but beats the pants off every other aspect. Great ride, 17-18 city mpg. Haven' taken long trip yet. Has 90000 miles and purrs like a kitten. No major repairs since new. Can't wait to hit the road with my 37' camper. My 350 did great and I expect the Excursion to be that and more. Love. My wife has taken it over to use in her business. I am relagated to driving her sedan for now.

Luv my Excursion

RBR, 08/24/2005

I have the Powerstroke 6.0 diesel. Use truck for towing 32' travel trailer - works great. Interior seats are very spacious and comfortable. 20mph hwy/16 city. Towing 12 - 13 mpg. Will hate to see it discontinued.

Ultimate tow vehicle

c wallace, 02/01/2009

My Excurision is a 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel, as of Jan 2009 it has 83,000 miles with no major problems. This is the tow vehicle to have if you have a large family. We can put our three kids, all of their stuff, the dog, and all of me and the wife's stuff and trek out with no worries. This includes towing a holiday rambler 33 foot trailer. I have a few modification that I recommend for power and fuel economy. Because I put a two inch lift, 315 75 16 tires, and aftermarket front and rear bumpers with a front winch on it my fuel mileage decreased. I added a banks intercooler, cold air intake, power pda, and a magnaflow four inch turbo back exhaust. What a difference!

great for family

mark johnson, 08/08/2002

We looked for months for the vehicle that would support all of our needs....test drove every sport UT out there. We found what we wanted in the excursion. The excersion is big, well build, comfortable and powerful. The deisel out on the road is smooth and effortless. 4x4 in winter is a tremendous safty feature, inside is plush. We've taken it on a 2000 mile trip to Disney Land, two backpacking trips to the Windriver Mountains in Wyoming plus others. For the few things which have gone wrong, our dealership support has been outstanding. For large active families, who love the outdoors, we highly recommend the excursion.

The best Car Ever.

Drake~, 11/29/2002

I love my excursion. the man a the dealership said the car got 18 on the highway and 22 in the city and I almost died. We got our 4wd limited edition for 28,270 and they paid the tax tag and title for me. And when you look at it it looks huge. But when you drive it it feels like you are driving a nissan Altima. i love my excursoin and you should looooooooooooooooooove it to!!!!!!! I swear the gas milage is true.

THE BEST EVER

AUSTIN, 02/08/2003

I had home depot forklift a pallet of cement into my excursion. It holds 18 sheets of drywall, 75 2x4's or 750 12"X12" tiles. I can fit 5 people and five mountain bikes in sides with all gear. I tow a tractor and dump trailer with it. It safely takes me and seven guess while pulling a 21 foot 4500lb boat at 80 mph (13.5 mpg) to lake powell and the engine temp dosnt change. drove to vegas with 8 people, stoped for gas once!!! 16.8mpg

6.8 Liter 16.5 MPG HWY, 13.7 MPG City

BIG TRUCK, 04/25/2004

I love the whole package with this Excursion. I added a Gibson Exhaust, a Pro-M 95MM MAF Meter with a conical airfilter, and a custom computer ECU upgrade. All of these have greatly added to the fuel economy of the big truck! Build quality is far better than the last 2 decades from Ford.

The Beast

Rick Rick, 04/01/2006

I was looking for an SUV after my son was in a car wreck and suffered brain damage and a broken back, among many other injuries. I needed an SUV with enough room in it to carry my son's electric scooter while also having enough room for him to stretch out and lay down too; he's 6' 3". At the time it was very hard for him to travel more than 30 minutes without laying down.

Great luxury livery vehicle.

Dennis Duggan, 01/04/2003

Fuel economy is great if you drive it right. We took it on a 2,300 mile road trip the first week. Though it takes $64.00 to fill the tank with premium gas we averaged over 16 miles to the Gallon. Owning a livery company with Lincoln town cars averaging 18-19 miles to the gallon for the size of the excursion. I think its great!!!

Better than the Sub

jim west, 09/11/2003

my wife was on vacation when i got truck she said what did you get this bus for i have a 02 sub she said what did you get this thing for we go to destin fl. every mo. i said to hall my 7 grand kids to make things short she want let me drive it she says it is hers now she has not drove the sub nomore she just loves it so i will trade the sub for 04 good mi. 22 on the hiway the best truck out their

My first fullsize SUV

A.J, 08/02/2002

I went from a 99 explorer to this and I just love it. I have taken 8 people on a trip and all of them enjoyed the room and the DVD player. The gas mileage is not that bad as everyone would think.

Like the size, but it isn't for everyone

Installer, 09/12/2003

Love the loadspace, gas pedal and overall size/comfort inside. With 1500 miles we lost our coolant -the factory didn't quite get the hose clamp right - a damaged hose and several days later back owning the road. Can't get past a gas station without a stop -around $65 these days if you let it get to a 1/4. Great hauler. Not for anyone on a budget -pretty sure, as an owner group, we are keeping OPEC running...

DAMN GOOD EXCURSION

Excrsn1, 08/05/2002

If god drove a vehicle, he would definitly drive an Excursion. In my opinion this is the greatest vehicle ever designed or thought of! Thanks Ford!

I LOVE MY BIG EXCURSION

RICHARD B, 10/30/2002

I LOVE THIS SUV, WHO CARES ABOUT THE GAS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE 2 CARS TO CARRY THE ENTIRE FAMILY, EVERYTHING FITS IN THIS BABY

Diesel option well worth it.

jogiba, 11/17/2002

The diesel option on the Excursion is well worth it since it helps it get the highest fuel mileage of any full size SUV.

Rill good with awsome sound systenm and

brjdifjgkdjflkgjdflg, 11/24/2002

Rill good the best of road vehicle in any of the ford class

My dream SUV

Mikki, 01/02/2003

I love my excursion, after test driving everything I found the excursion the only one to fit all my needs. It will pull a horse trailer, carry my dogs to dog shows, carry all my kids to school and there is plenty of room to prevent fights. I am soooo pleased. I love the looks it gets and the feeling of safety it gives my when I am hauling the kids around.

great truck

mikeraymond, 01/17/2003

Best big suv on the road - 6.0 Diesel is GREAT - quiet & powerfull. New 5 speed transmission is also great. If more diesels were on the road, we wouldn't have a fuel crisis (30% better than gas). Ford should reconsider their decision to cancel this vehicle, since they added the new 6.0 engine & 5 speed trans. They have a real winner here.

Great Family Car

Jeffrey J., 01/20/2003

My family and I love our Excursion. We owned a half ton Chevy Suburban prior to the Excursion so naturally the ride of the Suburban was better but that seems to be its only advantage. The features of the Excursion are great. It appears from the outside that it would be hard to drive but once you're in it you feel like you're driving a luxury car. Only very high off the ground. It pulls my 18' ski boat like a dream.

Deisel Powered SUV

E H , 01/22/2003

Fun to drive, a safe well designed SUV. Mine is a 2000 model and is deisel.There's nothing it can't handel on or off road.Oh by the way for all you folks who think it's hard to park in town your wrong I'm a women and can park it better then most guys in pick up trucks. Turning ratio is far better than my last SUV a Suburban 2500. Yes I would buy another one. Also, deisel is cheaper than gas and gets better milage than the gas model. Runs smooth & quite.

The Best Beast!

Adrprk, 02/24/2003

Wonderful truck! Plenty of room which = Comfort! Handles very well considering the size. Great pickup (accleration)...no need to worry about short highway ramps, the v10 can haul!!!

real truck not suv

kitone, 08/04/2003

this is a real truck you have to like trucks to have one it is great for the family of 5 and boat I love it thanks

The Best TRUCK

wildside8284, 08/04/2003

If you love trucks and are not a mini van type person this is the best!! It is a real truck and not an suv. I am a mom of 3 and love trucks this is the best. I get better fuel milage than with my jeep that I had!

I LOVE MY SUV

Cindy S, 08/29/2003

I love this suv. There is nothing you can't do with this suv. It is great for my kids and friends.

To bad, so sad, please keep making them

Bmargetts, 02/28/2003

Not for everyone. But if you need the high range people mover that can tow a house. This is the choice.

Beautiful Functionality

RDK, 09/08/2003

Awesome truck, former 6.5L Chevy diesel Suburban owner. Gas mileage takes a bit of getting used to but passing cars going up mountains pulling a 30' travel trailer is a thrill. The V10 WILL do the job if you can afford to put gas in it.

BIG RIG

SLINGBLADE, 07/17/2003

IT HAD A STICKER OF 53500 BUT I BOUGHT IT FOR 44000 GOT THE 6.0 LOTS OF POWER THE 560LBS OF TORQUE CAN BE A LITTLE SCARY GET ABOUT 14 AROUND TOWN AND 22 ON THE ROAD AT 70 WITH NO TRAILER BOUGHT IT TO TOW MY 11000LB TRAILER I HOPE MY MILAGE WILL BE AROUND 15 HAD A 3500 GMC AND WAS GETTING ABOUT 7 WITH A GAS ENGINE MY OTHER CARS ARE GERMAN AND THE FORD HAS REAL INTERIOR QUALITY ISSUES COMPARED TO THE AUDI ITS A JOKE BUT I BOUGHT IT TO HAUL SO WE WILL SEE. AFTER 4 WEEKS I HAVE A CD PROBLEM AND A COUPLE OF SQUEEKS BUT THE THING MOVES FOR A 4 TON TRUCK MY FIRST SERVICE IS COMING UP JUST CAUSE I WANT TO CHANGE MY FIRST OIL AT 2000 MILES

Incredable change

Rando C, 08/10/2003

I just purchased my excursion and absolutely love it. I have an explorer that I have had since 97. I have enjoyed it but needed extra room. Based on my experience with Ford, I knew I was going with a Ford. I just had to decide between expedition and the excursion. Bowditch treated extremely well during the whole process. They were ready for me when I came in. I handled most of my dealing over the net. I don't think I will look back. We are already getting as good of mileage as the explorer. Thanks so much to Ford again and to Bowditch. Two great partners....

One Awsome SUV....

1bigford, 09/03/2003

I’ve owned many vehicles in my years. Among them, 4 SUVs. The Excursions by far is the best of the SUVs. At first I hesitated because of its size. After a few short miles I found it to be very easy to drive as did my wife, who now is the primary driver, I only get it on weekends. It has plenty of room and power to spare. I find it hard to believe FORD is discontinuing this vehicle. I found nothing but praise for it in everything I read.

Love this SUV

Dick Wiehe, 09/18/2003

We've driven a Ford Super Duty Crew Cab with a V-10 for 4 years now. Love it and like the EXPEDITION even better. We're retired and are convinced that there's no better platform to travel with and see the sights than these machines. The couple hundred more you pay a year for gas is more than off-set by the great seat you have to the world. Good luck to the folks that are sitting low and hunched down ... we'll take our viewing platform any day!

51050