Used 2003 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews

Used Excursion for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

what a beast

george dougherty, 10/20/2015
Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck - purchased in 2003 new. 180k miles. no major issues and still runs great. Last week a Dodge Ram rear ended me at thirty five miles an hour while I was stopped at a light. His truck is trashed, broken rad., power steering fluid all over the place, need to be towed. My fender is dented and tail light broken. has been on the beach, in 20 inches of snow, towed horses and other cars out of snow drifts, and has suffered my wife hitting posts etc. It keeps on going strong.

When you have to take everything with you!

chuckt6, 10/15/2012

2 big dogs(50 lbs and 90 lbs), 3 kids, The wife and I, and all our travel stuff fit fine in this monster. We purchased ours in 2010 with 122,000 miles on it. We've put 20K miles on it with minimal problems. We did replaced the ball joints($900) and put in new spark plugs($600). Great value for the vehicle, all leather, and comfortable. We purchased ours from a private party for $7400. The V10 engine is a gas hog, but will go for 300K miles. Same engine used in buses and limo's. Average about 12 mpg, but it that is better than driving two cars and getting 20 mpg in each car.

The Biggest and Best SUV Ever Created

Kurt Young, 10/25/2015
Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My current Excursion is my best Excursion by far. My first was the Limited 6.8L V10. My current Excursion exceeds and surpasses in all categories. I'll keep this one as long as parts are made for it. I see other SUVs on the road and wonder why bother. I've added after market airbag shocks which has increased the towing capabilities and smoothness of ride while towing. I tow a 10K lbs travel trailer year round, and my excursion has no problem whether pulling passes in Montana or on the long flats of Florida.

2003 Excursion

McDuck, 08/22/2003

We really like this rig. I've owned two Suburbans and I like this Excursion much better. I am amazed by the fuel milage with the 7.3 diesel-- 18 to 20 mpg. We got the Eddie Bauer version and the drop down DVD is a huge hit. Might buy a second one if I can get a good enough deal. Only complaint so far is poor visibility out of right side mirror. It would benefit from a larger parabolic mirror.

I love this car!!

carrie6yoga, 10/18/2003

I needed more room. And I like fords. So this rig really won me over, it looks better than the suburban and pulls better too!

MY 4TH EXCURSION

TONY COX, 11/29/2003

I LIVE IN TEXAS WHERE IT IS TURE WE TRAVEL 22 MILES JUST FOR BREAKFAST. THIS VEHICLE IS AN EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR CAMPING AND TRAVELING, TOWING. THIS NEW 6.0 DIESEL IS QUITE AND HAS PLENTY OF GO POWER. THE BEST NEW FEATURE IS THE 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION. VERY COMFORTABLE OVER LONG DISTANT EXCURSIONS.

Long Live the Beast

Forest, 08/14/2009

We bought our 2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 diesel new in September 2003. It does double duty as the company truck and the family hauler. We tow our 34' 10,000 lb trailer on long family vacations. Estimate that we have towed the travel trailer at least 30,000 miles since 2003. Everybody is comfortable on long road trips and we have plenty of room left over. We did one ski trip to Colorado with only the truck and 6 people (and all equipment) on board. Went 75 mph and got over 18 mpg for the trip. Truck is very stable in slippery conditions. It is a bit clumsy around town, but heck--it is a truck. Too bad we may never see such a vehicle sold for the American family again.

Power!

skypilot, 08/20/2003

I've had the X for 2 months and 7000 miles now; still great! Power up the wahzoo, pulls our 5000 lb. boat like it's not even there. Wanders though... steering is vague and directional control is minimal, it just doesn't want to go straight down the road, gotta pay attention all the time. The 6.0 engine is the only way to go, 16.5-21 mpg, kills anything you'll see from the other engines.

Great Family and Tow Unit.

Gopher19432003, 10/24/2003

We use our Excursion for family vacations and towing a 35' travel trailer. This is a wonderful vehicle. It is well made, powerful, quiet and gets surprisingly good mileage. On diesel fuel, we average 18 MPG in town and 22 on the highway. When pulling the trailer, highway mileage drops to 19. I have never had a vehicle that can handle a trailer this large with such ease. I can drive all day and not fell beat.

FORDS BEST KEPT SECRET

Arthur Martin, 11/01/2003

The Excursion is the best kept secret. the 6.0 Turbo Diesel gets excellent fuel mileage, I don't know where the critics get there 411 on fuel economy? I wouyld take an Excursion over a Suburban any day.

12345...8