Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Silverado 3500 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Sad to part with old friend

rick194, 02/06/2011

It is now time to trade in the Duramax/Chevy. I have not pulled a trailor in the last 18 months so I am getting something smaller (Suburban). I have over 230,000 miles on it, averaged 17 mpg, pulled trailers from TX to 36 states. It brokedown twice. The alternator went out at 200K+ and a wire rubbed in two shorting out the electrical system at 180k+. The injectors were replaced under warranty and that was it, other than routine wear items, brakes, belts, hoses, ball joints. Do not need a truck like this any more but have kept it for 18 months because it is such a good one.

DuraMax

Ray Gaskill, 02/07/2003

I tow a 18,000 lb trailer to all the Nascar events and love this truck. I originally drove Fords, but after looking at the numbers and talking to another DuraMax owner (who also had a Powerstroke and swithed to Chevy), I order the DuraMax and leave Fords and Dodge in the dust!

Good truck

doug, 07/20/2007

I have had all three brands of trucks. This one hauls and rides the best. As far as reliability, I have been more than pleased. GM hit the right cue when putting this truck together. Duramax/Allison, best combination. I tow a 44 ft trailer @ 26000lbs and get 10-11.5 mpg. I will be hard pressed to go back to a different brand. Great work GM!

3500 DURAMAX DIESEL dually 4x4

Nemecek, 03/09/2002

after having Dodge diesel for couple years, this new Chevy truck has huge power when used to tow boat or move building materials, but is very friendly inside with a lot of every day features to make anybody happy.

A lot of truck for the money

Kyle Rodrigue, 05/26/2002

Duramax diesel is worth the option price!

Chevey beat's Dodge counterpart

ThomasWilson, 02/27/2002

We bought this truck to replace our 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 & there is NO comparison - the Chevy wins hands down! We had desiels on both trucks - the Chevey is much smoother & quieter

2002 3500 SILVERADO

evy, 12/09/2002

What an improvement over my '98. This Duramax engine and Allison trans really make a trailer puller, and so nice to drive.

Chevy stuff

nmn.strabel, 11/08/2005

After accepting delivery of my expensive 2002 3500 duramax equipped Chevy truck I was very disappointed to discover that my 1 ton dually truck came with the cheapest steel wheels that are made. After only a few thousand kilometers there were rust spots appearing on them. After going as far as I could with GM Canada and getting nowhere, I ended up sanding and repainting myself. Ford & Dodge do not have this problem. A $50,000 truck with 10 cent wheels. The rest of the truck is pretty good.

BIG BLOCK DUALLY

Craig C., 06/06/2004

This has been a great truck. It has plenty of power with the 8.1 motor and the Allision transmission. I am thinking of tradeing it in only to replace it with the same truck but with the Duramax diesel. I wish that the gas motor would do a little better on MPG. I can get around 12 MPG on the high way not towing. If I pull my 10,000 lb. trailer the best it can do is 8.5 MPG. I have talked to owners of the duramax and they can get 20 MPG!!! I like my big block and it has plenty of power but, gas is over $2.00 a gallon now so what can I do? I did not want to spend the extra $6000 for the diesel when I bought my truck.

Big power

Kurt J., 10/26/2004

This has been an allaround great truck. I use it for roadside service along with my firefighting duties and let me tell you i run this truck hard. Weather its passing a hemi (LOL) with the 8.1l engine or towing cars and boats with the Allison 5spd, it just dosent get any better. Add a few lil performance mods to the engine and holdon for ride (seems odd to others that i have a dually racing by them) i can tow anything ive been told to with no lag on this truck it always give the same great ride.

Awsome Truck