Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

21 years and still looking good
By Belinda Crysell

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

I am the only owner of this 1997 cavalier she has been a great car she still gets 35 miles to the gallon I didn't start replacing parts until ten years later it's a convertible of replaced the top once the water pump twice the alternator once the cam pack twice the window controller twice the driver window mother once it a little over 200,000 miles and she still drives like she did new the only two problems if had with it is a week after I got it the CD player stoped working the dealer Larry Puckett in Prattville Alabama refused to fix it and it would run away by itself and they refused to give me another car after my husband could of been killed it it because he couldn't get it to stop then they came with a towtruck and got it fixed what ever was wrong with it but refused to ever tell me what was wrong with it

love the ole cav
By Nick LaQuerre

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

the 97' cav drives well and it treats me well :)

watch the front wheels, the fuel pump, and the anything else an old car would :)

everything but the engine!!!

Never let me down
By cocoaloboco

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and it treated me well, I can't say I returned the favor. I had it from 16-18 and really did no maintenance on it, my dad would top the oil off and that was all the car seen in TLC. it performed well the entire time and I didn't replace any parts. (other than a tire that blew out after a long road trip) I then let the car sit for a year & then sold it to a family friend. it started just fine & he's been driving it for 3 years no with no problems. the car was very reliable and great on gas. My only real complaint is it's made of cheap metal and dents very easily...i leaned against the car and my butt left an indent...

Reliability, fuel economy

Reliable, sporty and good on gas.
By chad1893

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I purchased my mettalic green 2dr chevrolet cavalier base at 59,000 miles i was attracted to the value and reliability as well as mpg ratio, it is very smooth on smooth road and at high speeds it is quiet and tight feleling, however bumps are not its friend it handles well and can be parked easily from any angle, the coupe looks sharp when cleaned, the performance is decent its quick under 40mph anything above 40 wait a few seconds unless you want to dig your foot into the pedal, the interior mine being base with a black inerface is pretty nice with a coat of armor all. The rear seats fold down so larger things can be hauled in the trunk like a bicycle. im impressed it 15yrs old.

Easy and cheap to fix if you want to do it yourself, Good engine seen the 2.2l go for 300,000 miles when tooken care of. the interior looks stylish and sporty the shape of the car is of a shark and looks great with tinted windows. Seats are comfy and heats up quick in the winter and ac blows cold. Saying this car is 15 years old its still well together im impressed.

headroom could be higher, bumpy ride overe bad roads, could use 20 more hp, but has more then its competion of 1997.

Car is a BEAST
By hermanson

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

My family bought this car was bought 8 years ago with it having 88k miles on it. Everyone in my family has driven it and recently it was handed down from my brother to me and i've had it for about 6 months. The car has about 227k miles on it and still runs strong. one word to describe this car, RELIABLE! car is worth its price and more.

gas mileage, runs fast, reliable.

interior isn't great and the seats aren't too comfortable.