2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
In for the long haul
By gopadge on 08/29/14 13:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I moved to a 2012 VW Passat SE w/ Sunroof and Navigation from a 1997 VW Jetta GLS. I've been driving the Jetta for 15 years and have over 300,000 miles on it. Since purchasing the Passat I've put over 20,000 in the first 8 months of ownership. The 2.5l is probably not a fun to drive as the 1.8t on current models, but the performance is more than enough for daily driving. I routinely average 32+ mpg on long trips a highway speeds and have averaged 29+ in combined mpg over the past 3000 miles. The car has plenty of room even in the rear for my 6'3" teen.

German luxury on a budget
By drjkalyan on 08/26/14 15:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my first new car and I love it. It looks impressive with taut lines and geometrical shapes that accent the angular look of the new VWs. The car is decidedly large for the American market and can be a problem only in some crowded cities. Inside the cabin the interiors are excellent quality and material with symmetrical layout - maybe a bit boring. It has the best in-class rear seat legroom and boot space. It has adequate equipment as standard. Ride is a bit choppy on rough roads but is very well absorbing on usual city roads. Power is just about adequate and delivery is a tad linear. Engaging the sports mode creates more engine noise than speed. I love the tank-like build quality!

Worst car and customer service in the world
By totsntators on 07/29/14 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

EPIC FAIL: 44K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago. i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done). customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened. worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware!

Engine tried to fall out.
By vwdumpsterfire on 04/14/14 08:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love the gas mileage my Passat gets, in fact I have averaged 48.2 MPG over 71,000 miles. Everything I have ever gained in gas savings has been completely erased by repair bills. The engine mount bolts fell out and the engine fell forward into the radiator hoses. Apparently the nuts and bolts for the DPF and EGR filter were missing as well, lucky me! I contacted VW and asked them how long they expected their engines to remain in the vehicle along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. In short the answer was, "just long enough to get you through the warranty!" In short I was told that none of this could possibly be VW's fault (since I was out of warranty) and good luck!

Exploding sunroof?
By aaronnandi on 01/29/14 18:54 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Up until now I have loved my Passat. Unfortunately the events of the last week have changed my view. I was driving down the freeway with three children in the back seat and the sunroof completely exploded and rained down small sharp glass pieces all over my head and face. The Dealership will not stand by the warranty and is trying to charge me for this repair! I called VW directly and they are taking the same stance. This is absolutely a manufacturing defect as I have found reports all over the internet of other cars having the same issue. Great car, but next time I will not give my business to a company that doesn't take care of it's customers and honor their warranties.

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles
By botanybob on 09/06/13 06:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare.

seats and tires
By jimmyv123 on 07/11/13 06:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The leatherette seats are comfortable however I've noticed a seam is starting to open along the left side bolster padding of the driver's seat. It's not an aread that I sit on nor is it a stress area from getting in and out so I have no idea why it would be failing. It probably won't completly open up until after the 36,000 mile warranty expires and I don't think the dealer will repair something that hasn't happed yet. No more leatherette for me. Also, the Hankook tires are less than satisfactory. They are extremely noisy on anything but smooth-as-glass pavement and with 27,000 miles on them with rotation every oil change they are about done.

Awesome Disc brakes saved my car from crashing
By aviamar on 07/10/13 17:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am proud of the brakes on my 2012 VW Passat. It not only saved me from any injuries but also from causing any damage to the car. I was driving down at 45mph towards a traffic signal. Slowed down a bit but picked up my speed back to 45 as soon as i saw it turn green from a distance. There was a vehicle, in front of me, which had started moving too. I then took the eyes of the road and before I realized the vehicle in front had come to a unexpected halt. I was at a distance of 25-30 ft, I guess, before I hit the brakes hard. I was almost certain that I was going to crash (used to driving cars in India) But the ABS kicked in and made a perfect stop. Passat - totally worth the money.

After 9 months.....
By daveeman on 04/14/13 17:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I mainly purchased this car for the diesel fuel economy. My driving is mostly around town which gives me 36mpg. HWY is 43. All new cars are exciting at first, especially one with with great reviews as this one. My mind was already made up during the test drive, so I ignored a glaring issue. It is a rough riding car. I can feel (and hear) every crack in the pavement like I'm piloting a go-kart. Each road thump echoes a mild bass throughout the car, causing the need for the stereo to be turned up to mask the road noise. I read that Honda's are known for road noise, but nothing could be this noisy. It corners well, but I'd sacrifice the sport suspension any day for soft & quiet.

I like this car
By mronyx1 on 01/20/13 19:02 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Having been a person who has never cared about such things as cars. point A to Point B dry, I'm good. This car is a treat I did buy a 2012 with 8000 miles on it but have no break in worries and it sure is easy to drive. There is a little warming up to the gas peddle, over all this is a smart vehicle and for the price get a few options, you'll be glad you did. Very pleased with the gas mileage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Passat in VA is:

$152 per month*