Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

VW Passat TDI SE Review
By M. Carey

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Turbo Diesel fuel mpg is excellent: 45+ hwy, 33 - 39 city. Interior room is very spacious. Controls are friendly, simple, intuitive. Turbo diesel acceleration is sporty. Touchscreen is good but no navigation system. Most features are smart and helpful. Car requires little maintenance, so far. Overall, an excellent vehicle/purchase.

Edmunds has a great tool for finding a vehicle
By QATL

2012 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2012 VW Passat. The VW Passat has a great value at this time however I do regret that I have to wait for the airbags to get repaired. The vehicle was recalled for the airbag safety. This is my first time owning anything other than a Toyota, Camry. I was in the Toyota family for 25 years. I have only owned it for two weeks so we shall see if the VW family can live up to my expectations of a quality vehicle.

Solid, Reliable Car
By Justin

2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Appearance (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have now owned my Passat for nearly 5 years now. I have to say that this car has been very reliable. I have had no maintanance issues, there have been a couple recalls but for very minor things that I would have never noticed had I never received anything in the mail. I truly recommend this car for someone who wants something that is reliable, roomy, and affordable.

My FAVORITE CAR :)
By Natalie

2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just purchased this 2012 car with 38K miles. It only had 1 previous owner and that had taken meticulous care of this vehicle. I have never enjoyed commuting in traffic for 60-90 minuets one way every day, however, this car makes me look for reasons to drive it, very smooth ride, amazingly quiet and comfortable and the bluetooth makes all your cares disappear. Absolutely my best purchase in a car EVER! So pleased.

Diesel engine. VW dealerships are scammers
By Richard Fleming

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Not sure why I couldn't select anything but gas models from the drop-down list here but I have the 2012 TDI SE with automatic.

The car was in the dealership so many times for repairs and recalls that the salesman joked about how he saw us there all the time. Very amusing. The windows got noisy when moving them up and down. We had wind noise from the windows that took two trips to the dealership to get corrected. The vehicle came to us from the factory with damage to the interior trim in five places. We had ordered ahead of time and that's the thanks we get? The "leatherette" vinyl looks nice but is very stinky for years from off-gassing. The rubber matts are very smelly, too. Cloth wasn't available with an automatic transmission which is stupid. You're forced to buy a sunroof you don't want and smelly vinyl seats. I can go on but the real scandal is how we started having problems with the emissions system near the end of the warranty. We took the vehicle to Fairfield Volkswagen three times for "repairs". The first one was them turning off the issue in the computer and telling us to wait and see. The same problem happened again (the urea system told us it would shut off the car in X miles). The third time they said they had done this and that. Well, then the warranty expired and the same problem happened again. I took it to another VW shop in Cincinnati and had to fight to get VW to cover the repair under warranty. Well, apparently that "repair" didn't actually repair anything. My spouse, when it acted up again, took it back to Fairfield because we started having tire pressure warnings. They replaced all four tire sensors, claiming they were faulty. They also claimed the entire urea system needed to be replaced. He ended up paying $2400 for these repairs – repairs that had allegedly been done already by the other dealership under warranty. The reason the tire pressure light had come on? There was a nail in the back tire that VW never found and repaired. None of those tire sensors were actually bad. I bet the urea system had already been repaired by the other dealership and Fairfield knew it could scam my spouse because he's too nice a person so they probably either ripped out the replacement system or just charged us for something they didn't even do. So, we have a car with poor resale value thanks to DieselGate and it's a ticking time bomb, knowing VW's legendary reputation for reliability. And we can't rely on the dealerships to even remove a nail from a tire rather than charge us thousands for alleged repairs to things that should have been fixed before and which weren't a problem in the first place. VW doesn't just lie to the world its dealerships have a reputation for lying to customers.