2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Engine tried to fall out.
By vwdumpsterfire on 04/14/14 08:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love the gas mileage my Passat gets, in fact I have averaged 48.2 MPG over 71,000 miles. Everything I have ever gained in gas savings has been completely erased by repair bills. The engine mount bolts fell out and the engine fell forward into the radiator hoses. Apparently the nuts and bolts for the DPF and EGR filter were missing as well, lucky me! I contacted VW and asked them how long they expected their engines to remain in the vehicle along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. In short the answer was, "just long enough to get you through the warranty!" In short I was told that none of this could possibly be VW's fault (since I was out of warranty) and good luck!

Exploding sunroof?
By aaronnandi on 01/29/14 18:54 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Up until now I have loved my Passat. Unfortunately the events of the last week have changed my view. I was driving down the freeway with three children in the back seat and the sunroof completely exploded and rained down small sharp glass pieces all over my head and face. The Dealership will not stand by the warranty and is trying to charge me for this repair! I called VW directly and they are taking the same stance. This is absolutely a manufacturing defect as I have found reports all over the internet of other cars having the same issue. Great car, but next time I will not give my business to a company that doesn't take care of it's customers and honor their warranties.

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles
By botanybob on 09/06/13 06:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare.

seats and tires
By jimmyv123 on 07/11/13 06:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The leatherette seats are comfortable however I've noticed a seam is starting to open along the left side bolster padding of the driver's seat. It's not an aread that I sit on nor is it a stress area from getting in and out so I have no idea why it would be failing. It probably won't completly open up until after the 36,000 mile warranty expires and I don't think the dealer will repair something that hasn't happed yet. No more leatherette for me. Also, the Hankook tires are less than satisfactory. They are extremely noisy on anything but smooth-as-glass pavement and with 27,000 miles on them with rotation every oil change they are about done.

Awesome Disc brakes saved my car from crashing
By aviamar on 07/10/13 17:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am proud of the brakes on my 2012 VW Passat. It not only saved me from any injuries but also from causing any damage to the car. I was driving down at 45mph towards a traffic signal. Slowed down a bit but picked up my speed back to 45 as soon as i saw it turn green from a distance. There was a vehicle, in front of me, which had started moving too. I then took the eyes of the road and before I realized the vehicle in front had come to a unexpected halt. I was at a distance of 25-30 ft, I guess, before I hit the brakes hard. I was almost certain that I was going to crash (used to driving cars in India) But the ABS kicked in and made a perfect stop. Passat - totally worth the money.

After 9 months.....
By daveeman on 04/14/13 17:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I mainly purchased this car for the diesel fuel economy. My driving is mostly around town which gives me 36mpg. HWY is 43. All new cars are exciting at first, especially one with with great reviews as this one. My mind was already made up during the test drive, so I ignored a glaring issue. It is a rough riding car. I can feel (and hear) every crack in the pavement like I'm piloting a go-kart. Each road thump echoes a mild bass throughout the car, causing the need for the stereo to be turned up to mask the road noise. I read that Honda's are known for road noise, but nothing could be this noisy. It corners well, but I'd sacrifice the sport suspension any day for soft & quiet.

I like this car
By mronyx1 on 01/20/13 19:02 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Having been a person who has never cared about such things as cars. point A to Point B dry, I'm good. This car is a treat I did buy a 2012 with 8000 miles on it but have no break in worries and it sure is easy to drive. There is a little warming up to the gas peddle, over all this is a smart vehicle and for the price get a few options, you'll be glad you did. Very pleased with the gas mileage.

Very happy with my Passat
By johnwild on 12/23/12 14:00 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The last VW I owned was a Rabbit Diesel, I loved that noisy, smelly car and it got great mileage. Since then I have had a couple of Mercedes Diesels, I also loved them but the mileage was nothing to brag about I bought my Passat 4 months ago and now have almost 8,000 miles on it. I recently took a 2400 mile round trip and got an easy 45 mph at highway speeds. Now at almost 8,000 miles I get amazing mileage. If I keep my speed around 50mph I get almost 60 mpg!! I'm loving this car, even though the oil companies are ripping us off on Diesel. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or send a friend to VW to buy one either. Great Car........5 stars!

Impressive car on multiple fronts
By kscommuter on 12/01/12 06:47 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased this car in December of 2011 and have put 49K miles on it. It gets over 40 to 41 mpg and I typically drive 79 mph on my 180 mile daily commute (all highway miles). It will get upper 40's mpg if we lower the average speed to 65 to 70 mph. The ride and handling are very good. The car is nicely equipped for a base model, with a very solid feel and generous cabin and trunk spaces. The diesel engine is very responsive in combination with the manual transmission. The 10,000 mile service intervals for the oil change and basic service are great. I opt to use the shop my husband works at for this basic car maintenance versus paying a VW dealership the overpriced fee of $400.00+.

Like the car but very poor headlights
By caseydog3 on 11/20/12 19:59 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

i bought this car in July and overall I've been pleased with it EXCEPT for one extremely important thing. The headlights are terrible. I traded in a 1999 Nissan altima for this car and never had one problem seeing at night. Not only did the passat not come with foglights, but the low beams aren't the projector type. The combination of the two is very poor. Now I had to go to a specialty shop to inquire about custom headlights just so I feel safe driving at night. I did a test drive during the day with this car and all the others. I never even considered this would be a problem. I called the dealership about it and they don't even make upgrade headlights for the passat in U.S.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Passat in NJ is:

$257 per month*