Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

25,000 miles so far, so good
By Scott Johnson

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just today turned over to 25,000. We have really enjoyed this vehicle. Sluggish accelerator that does take some time to get accustomed to but plenty of pep if you hit it. No issues with the creature comforts so far and everyone comments on the amount of interior space for a small vehicle. Only issue has been a burned out rear tail light; easy enough to replace myself. At 25k miles the Hankook tires are holding up well.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

acceleration could be improved.

Fun to drive mid-sized sedan
By scj2

2012 Volkswagen Passat V6 SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

I've owned the 2012 SE Passat V6 for over 1 month and have enjoyed it. Purchased as a CPO vehicle, it has great acceleration and a smooth ride. Plenty of leg room in the front and back seats. Car rides well, has excellent power for passing and navigation works well.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, navigation, passing power, sound system sounds good. Huge trunk. Car rides smoothily.

Suggested Improvements

panic key on side of fob - can trigger when turning car off or on. Comes equipped with Hankook tires, which are noisy compared with similar rated Michelins, Dunlops, or Continental tires. Must have fob to lock car door - can lock keys in car but can't easily lock the door when exiting the car.

Reliability Issues
By as0723

2012 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan w/Appearance (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Purchased new and in the past 3 years have had a wheel bearing replaced, suspension makes creaking noises, and the vehicle starts very rough and has even not started several times when cold. The last two items listed (suspension and starting issues) have been dismissed by the dealership service and VW as normal. Even when it wouldn't start and I had to have it towed to the dealership, they eventually got it to start, said they couldn't find anything wrong, nothing they can do and even that the vehicle is operating normally. Normal for it to not start? That's not normal to me for a new vehicle, and not what I want out of a new car, I expect it to start every time and provide reliable service.

Favorite Features

Size and style, it's a nice looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, this thing is junk.

WISHING FOR MORE
By rjtrepanier80

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint about my passat is seat comfort. Terribly supportive seats uncomfortable for trips longer than 4 hours and unbearable for anything over 8. The resale is the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. I love the gas mileage and the tech on the car. It is quiet and I do enjoy the manual, although I wish it had 6th gear but thats my fault for purchasing the 5 speed. So far its been very reliable. I have put on around 15,000 miles and the car was used when I bought it. So its now over 60,000 miles. I pile the miles on. All in all not my favorite car but not my least favored either. Def worth consideration if you find the seats comfortable.

Favorite Features

Touch Screen Interace Bluetooth Technology...I also like the heated seats and the way the climate control is set up. It has a simple clean design and I like that as well.

Suggested Improvements

Better Seats. PLEASE!

In for the long haul
By gopadge

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I moved to a 2012 VW Passat SE w/ Sunroof and Navigation from a 1997 VW Jetta GLS. I've been driving the Jetta for 15 years and have over 300,000 miles on it. Since purchasing the Passat I've put over 20,000 in the first 8 months of ownership. The 2.5l is probably not a fun to drive as the 1.8t on current models, but the performance is more than enough for daily driving. I routinely average 32+ mpg on long trips a highway speeds and have averaged 29+ in combined mpg over the past 3000 miles. The car has plenty of room even in the rear for my 6'3" teen.

Favorite Features

I love the upgraded electronics / navigation on this model, especially the Sirius radio on long trips through rural Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. The trunk is huge and will easily swallow enough luggage for all of the family for a weekend trip.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation updates are ridiculously priced well above the average GPS unit.