Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Diesel engine. VW dealerships are scammers
By Richard Fleming

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Not sure why I couldn't select anything but gas models from the drop-down list here but I have the 2012 TDI SE with automatic.

The car was in the dealership so many times for repairs and recalls that the salesman joked about how he saw us there all the time. Very amusing. The windows got noisy when moving them up and down. We had wind noise from the windows that took two trips to the dealership to get corrected. The vehicle came to us from the factory with damage to the interior trim in five places. We had ordered ahead of time and that's the thanks we get? The "leatherette" vinyl looks nice but is very stinky for years from off-gassing. The rubber matts are very smelly, too. Cloth wasn't available with an automatic transmission which is stupid. You're forced to buy a sunroof you don't want and smelly vinyl seats. I can go on but the real scandal is how we started having problems with the emissions system near the end of the warranty. We took the vehicle to Fairfield Volkswagen three times for "repairs". The first one was them turning off the issue in the computer and telling us to wait and see. The same problem happened again (the urea system told us it would shut off the car in X miles). The third time they said they had done this and that. Well, then the warranty expired and the same problem happened again. I took it to another VW shop in Cincinnati and had to fight to get VW to cover the repair under warranty. Well, apparently that "repair" didn't actually repair anything. My spouse, when it acted up again, took it back to Fairfield because we started having tire pressure warnings. They replaced all four tire sensors, claiming they were faulty. They also claimed the entire urea system needed to be replaced. He ended up paying $2400 for these repairs – repairs that had allegedly been done already by the other dealership under warranty. The reason the tire pressure light had come on? There was a nail in the back tire that VW never found and repaired. None of those tire sensors were actually bad. I bet the urea system had already been repaired by the other dealership and Fairfield knew it could scam my spouse because he's too nice a person so they probably either ripped out the replacement system or just charged us for something they didn't even do. So, we have a car with poor resale value thanks to DieselGate and it's a ticking time bomb, knowing VW's legendary reputation for reliability. And we can't rely on the dealerships to even remove a nail from a tire rather than charge us thousands for alleged repairs to things that should have been fixed before and which weren't a problem in the first place. VW doesn't just lie to the world its dealerships have a reputation for lying to customers.

Great solid car!
By Ben

2012 Volkswagen Passat S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Very well solid built car tight steering doesnt shake at all at high speeds just a solid built german car what I expected

A great ride!
By John Heffernan

2012 Volkswagen Passat SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Don't expect a lot of pick up but beyond that, an amazing car!

LOVE my car...HATE what VW did to DESTROY resale!
By LPL

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have a 2012 TDI SEL and LOVE it!! We drive between Maine and Georgia frequently and stop ONCE for diesel. The car is comfortable and roomy with plenty of creature comforts. BUT, after four years, and being in Maine, we need an AWD vehicle and now this car has zero resale. VW should do more for ruining the value of their cars than they have.

56,500 Care Free Miles
By Brian Reed

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am the original owner of this 2012 Passat SE 2.5 6A and it is still the best car I have ever owned. Everything it does is effortless. I am a big guy with long legs and sit far away from the steering wheel and yet my friends, also tall, can fit comfortably behind me in the backseat. Long trips or commuting, both are easily handled with this car.

Now, to be fair, I have had one repair after the warranty expired. It was a software update for $50. That's it. That is the total amount I have spent on repairs. This car is rock-solid reliable.

The 2.5L 5 cylinder is an underrated engine in my opinion. It makes good torque down low and thru the midrange making for good acceleration off the line as well as passing power, when needed. Also, the car climbs grades, long, tall grades like they were flat. That is when I use the manual mode of the transmission, shifting it from 6th gear into 5th and letting the cruise control pull the car over the grade. It started its life in Utah and traversed those passes with ease in snowy or dry conditions without drama.

MPG - That always seems to be the knock on this engine but I haven't seen that. The worst MPG I have ever seen from this car is 24. Most of the time, I get 30 combined with 34 - 36 mpg on road trips. The car only needs 87 octane and just hums along. At 75 mph, the tach barely turns at 2,200 rpm.

Seriously, this car is the total package - comfortable, power, efficient.