2012 Volkswagen Passat S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
25,000 miles so far, so good
By Scott Johnson on 03/13/15 15:12 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just today turned over to 25,000. We have really enjoyed this vehicle. Sluggish accelerator that does take some time to get accustomed to but plenty of pep if you hit it. No issues with the creature comforts so far and everyone comments on the amount of interior space for a small vehicle. Only issue has been a burned out rear tail light; easy enough to replace myself. At 25k miles the Hankook tires are holding up well.

Fun to drive mid-sized sedan
By scj2 on 01/01/15 11:31 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat V6 SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

I've owned the 2012 SE Passat V6 for over 1 month and have enjoyed it. Purchased as a CPO vehicle, it has great acceleration and a smooth ride. Plenty of leg room in the front and back seats. Car rides well, has excellent power for passing and navigation works well.

Reliability Issues
By as0723 on 12/04/14 08:32 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan w/Appearance (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Purchased new and in the past 3 years have had a wheel bearing replaced, suspension makes creaking noises, and the vehicle starts very rough and has even not started several times when cold. The last two items listed (suspension and starting issues) have been dismissed by the dealership service and VW as normal. Even when it wouldn't start and I had to have it towed to the dealership, they eventually got it to start, said they couldn't find anything wrong, nothing they can do and even that the vehicle is operating normally. Normal for it to not start? That's not normal to me for a new vehicle, and not what I want out of a new car, I expect it to start every time and provide reliable service.

WISHING FOR MORE
By rjtrepanier80 on 11/06/14 23:56 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint about my passat is seat comfort. Terribly supportive seats uncomfortable for trips longer than 4 hours and unbearable for anything over 8. The resale is the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. I love the gas mileage and the tech on the car. It is quiet and I do enjoy the manual, although I wish it had 6th gear but thats my fault for purchasing the 5 speed. So far its been very reliable. I have put on around 15,000 miles and the car was used when I bought it. So its now over 60,000 miles. I pile the miles on. All in all not my favorite car but not my least favored either. Def worth consideration if you find the seats comfortable.

In for the long haul
By gopadge on 08/29/14 13:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I moved to a 2012 VW Passat SE w/ Sunroof and Navigation from a 1997 VW Jetta GLS. I've been driving the Jetta for 15 years and have over 300,000 miles on it. Since purchasing the Passat I've put over 20,000 in the first 8 months of ownership. The 2.5l is probably not a fun to drive as the 1.8t on current models, but the performance is more than enough for daily driving. I routinely average 32+ mpg on long trips a highway speeds and have averaged 29+ in combined mpg over the past 3000 miles. The car has plenty of room even in the rear for my 6'3" teen.

German luxury on a budget
By drjkalyan on 08/26/14 15:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my first new car and I love it. It looks impressive with taut lines and geometrical shapes that accent the angular look of the new VWs. The car is decidedly large for the American market and can be a problem only in some crowded cities. Inside the cabin the interiors are excellent quality and material with symmetrical layout - maybe a bit boring. It has the best in-class rear seat legroom and boot space. It has adequate equipment as standard. Ride is a bit choppy on rough roads but is very well absorbing on usual city roads. Power is just about adequate and delivery is a tad linear. Engaging the sports mode creates more engine noise than speed. I love the tank-like build quality!

Worst car and customer service in the world
By totsntators on 07/29/14 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

EPIC FAIL: 44K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago. i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done). customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened. worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware!

Engine tried to fall out.
By vwdumpsterfire on 04/14/14 08:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love the gas mileage my Passat gets, in fact I have averaged 48.2 MPG over 71,000 miles. Everything I have ever gained in gas savings has been completely erased by repair bills. The engine mount bolts fell out and the engine fell forward into the radiator hoses. Apparently the nuts and bolts for the DPF and EGR filter were missing as well, lucky me! I contacted VW and asked them how long they expected their engines to remain in the vehicle along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts. In short the answer was, "just long enough to get you through the warranty!" In short I was told that none of this could possibly be VW's fault (since I was out of warranty) and good luck!

Exploding sunroof?
By aaronnandi on 01/29/14 18:54 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Up until now I have loved my Passat. Unfortunately the events of the last week have changed my view. I was driving down the freeway with three children in the back seat and the sunroof completely exploded and rained down small sharp glass pieces all over my head and face. The Dealership will not stand by the warranty and is trying to charge me for this repair! I called VW directly and they are taking the same stance. This is absolutely a manufacturing defect as I have found reports all over the internet of other cars having the same issue. Great car, but next time I will not give my business to a company that doesn't take care of it's customers and honor their warranties.

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles
By botanybob on 09/06/13 06:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare.