Used 2008 Scion xD Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion Xd - Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Car & Driver
By Ancron

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Having been driving a 1995 Honda Civic CX Hatchback for the last 10 Years, this was definitely different! After studying Hondas and Toyotas I had it in my mind to either buy a Corola or a Civic (Both have exceptional Engines that last for quite a long time!). Determined to go to the Honda dealership and the Toyota dealership before I actually buy. My first stop was at the Toyota dealership. After the salesman showed me a few corolas on sale then he showed me a Scion XD. Having no idea about Scions (At the time I didn't know they were toyotas, I just thought they were another cheap brand), he explained in detail about the scion brand. After test driving the Scion and Corola, I bought the XD.

Favorite Features

Love the Hatch back and room, my Honda was a hatchback and I actually marveled on how much stuff I could actually haul in it! Good handling and good enough power for a car that gets about 30+ MPG. Love all the extras (Power locks, windows, AC, etc), remember, my last car had manual everything!

Suggested Improvements

The tinting is just right, didn't buy the car to go 180 MPH. Might possibly get some rims at a later time. Lucky my car came with the optional rear spoiler, floor mats, upgraded stereo.

BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP
By Joe Mahma

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it for a while and I'd have to say, it's a great cheap car. I just took a trip and managed 42 mpg on the highway while around town I'm getting about 32 mpg. It has some power if you get on it but the manual transmission is awful. The Interior is awesome as well as the body design, and people are always checking it out on the street.

Favorite Features

Overall design. Seating is super-comfortable on long trips (for me). I'm 5' 11" and about 180 lbs and it fits me perfectly. Also, the room for cargo is very good. I can pack stuff into this.

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission needs to be better. Shifting is clunky. I stall out from a dead stop at least 2 or 3 times a day. Either the flywheel needs to be larger, or it needs more torque.

Surprisingly fun and inexpensive car
By Carl

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this guy a couple of months ago as an all-around hauler. I drive about 75 miles a day for work, was looking for practicality and fun. Also use on weekends for trips to see our daughter at college, etc. Very pleased with the xD. Lowered with TRD springs from dealer, rear spoiler, bumper protector. Have not used for overnight trip, but hauls four adults with ease (we are all short) and occasionally five for trips around town. Looked also at the Honda Fit, also nice, but glad I chose the xD. 33-36 miles per gallon (measured at fill-ups), 35-39 average on readout. Ride (w/TRD springs) is firm but comfortable. Co-worker has an xD also and has had good experience, highly recommended!

Favorite Features

Came with everything needed, power windows, door locks, cruise. Great features and handling for 'economy car.'

Suggested Improvements

Fog/driving lights from dealer? Nothing else that I can think of...

Six months later.
By Pleased Consumer

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the xD in March 2008, and have six months experience driving it. Fuel economy has been a steady 34 mpg, calculated. I have had only one incident where the Vehicle Stabilization Control system automatically worked its magic. It was during a highway run, climbing a hill during a rainstorm when traction was especially bad. The system kicked in at a time when I was unaware that I was losing traction. I maintained control with its aid, slowed down,and carried on with my trip all smoothly, safely done. This VSC is a worthwhile feature. One slight but nagging shortfall in the design of this car is the FEEL of the brakes-- they operate well, but are vague in their feel.

Favorite Features

The features themselves, their number and convenience. This is a nice package for the price, a wonderful small car. I like its homely looks, too.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the FEEL of the brakes, Toyota. They need not actuate abruptly, just not so tentatively when first applied. This is the only area where my previous car excelled this one-- brake feel feedback.

Perfection.
By MaxM

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was first looking at cars to buy I was trying to find an SUV. I wanted a vehicle that I could put stuff in the back of (home depot trips, etc.). Unfortunately, gas shot up to like $4 a gallon that day so I got rid of the SUV idea. After a lot of researching and reviewing, i went with the xD for its gas mileage, fold- down back seats (my friend and I can finagle our mountain bikes in there and trips to home depot are no problem), a low price tag, and the Toyota built engine. I've had the car about 6 months now and i couldn't be happier. It's definitely got some pep to it when you hit the gas, too. Good for light stuff, just don't expect to do any heavy hauling.

Favorite Features

Fold-down back seats, gas mileage, reliable, ballsy for a small car, lots of cup holders!, and lots of options to customize it when you buy it and a hell of a lot of aftermarket parts. Oh and it's got a good amount of space: I'm 6', 245 lbs and I feel really comfortable driving it.

Suggested Improvements

It'd be nice to squeeze a little more MPG out of it. If i take it easy for a week I'll get 33 mpg; if i really hammer it, 26 mpg; on average, 29 mpg.