Used 2008 Scion xD Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion Xd - Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xD model:

It's A Winner
By It's A Winner

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am a visiting Nurse and am in my car all day, going from patient to patient. Needed good MPG. Looked at Versa, Fit And Suzuki SX4. It was between XD and SX4, would buy this car again tomorrow. I LOVE it. It is fun to drive, fits anywhere and has good pick-up. Agree with need to decrease road noise, wish there was an armrest, and that doors lock when car is put in gear. I get many questions and compliments on my zippy red XD.

Favorite Features

Appearance, excellent storage space for compact car, stereo and i-pod.

Suggested Improvements

Decreased road noise, armrest and auto locking doors when placed in gear.

Drives Like A "Go Kart"
By coytheboy

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is a neat little car that drives like a sports car but gives you the feel that you are in a larger car that grips the road like a Jag. The xD is very responsive and well powered in spite of its economy. It reminds me a bit like a "Go Kart" the way it handles turns. On long trips she is very comfortable and the standard stereo is high quality. MPG is in the mid 30's which is great for such a peppy car. Only negative is that the mirror buttons and dimmer controls are not illuminated at night. No big deal but it would be nice.

Favorite Features

Highly recommend the lock out tyranny for slippery snow covered or for gravel state game land roads found here in PA. Steering well stereo controls are a super item that comes standard.

Suggested Improvements

Just that Scion illuminates every control on the car as mentioned above.

Great small car
By rob4668

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the manual transmission which took some getting used too. The clutch has a low contact point so it was easy to kill the engine on start. Shifting is a bit stiff also. Otherwise the car is very solid feeling and drives like a sports car. With seats down in back I can carry same amount as our Subaru Forester-quite a lot.

Favorite Features

Navigation system

How does 46 mpg sound?
By Tim

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking to save gas - look no further. I've had this car since last October. Overall mileage is in the mid 30's. Three recent trips at 55 mph on highway netted 46 mpg. (that's true mpg - not computer) One was with 4 people in the car. Going to & from work (mix of highway and city) has been about 37 mpg. I test drove everything in this type (Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio 5, etc...), felt this was easily the best of hte bunch. Can't understand Consumer Report's love affair with the Honda Fit - rode like a 70's Ford Pinto. We recently took a trip to Branson with our family of 4 and did well - a little tight for luggage but it worked. Really love this car!

Favorite Features

Aux jack for MP3. Ipod connectivity. Onboard computer. Ability to lay the seats flat for big cargo area. Good front seat storage. Sits higher off the ground that other cars of this style. Ipod connector & cord for aux input jack included. Side curtain airbags! Stereo controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Car has a larger blind spot than other cars I've owned. Mud flaps are not available nor is center armrest. Back seat head rests tend to block drivers view. My trip computer's avg mpg is always 3 mpg off. Slightly deeper cup holders (front only). These are small changes - car is great as is!

I love my Scion XD
By lovemyxd

2008 Scion xD Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When I sat down to test drive this car, I immediately knew it was the one. It's cute yet bold looking--and super fun to drive.

Favorite Features

For a relatively inexpensive car, I am glad to know that features like ABS, side curtain airbags, and cruise control are standard. I also love the way the headrests for the back seats can be pushed down for a very polished look. Also, cup holders abound in this car... and the sound system is excellent

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any... I am super satisfied