2006 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:
Still Going Strong
By 123me on 09/29/13 18:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Pontiac Vibe after reading it was the 2nd least stolen car in the Central Valley of California. We have a bit of a problem with theft here and having seen my neighbors Hondas picked off annually I decided I was going to look for something thieves were not interested in. The Vibe has proved to be a terrific car, and anyone looking to invest in it as a use vehicle I say you wonÂ’t regret the choice. The Pontiac Vibe is the sister car to the Toyota Matrix. Take a look inside and you will see the same dashboard in each. There is plenty of headroom and with the speaker sound system I have no complaints

Still high mileage!
By 34mpg on 03/15/13 21:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Vibe since buying it off the lot in 2006. Over 169,000 miles and it is still averaging 34mpg. Just took a trip and on the first leg of 300 miles at 60 mph I got 44mpg! The next leg of 200 miles at 75mpg 'only' got 35mpg. No equipment problems other than the known PCM issue that was recalled/replaced. Maybe I'm just lucky with Pontiacs. My first car, a brand new Sunbird, is still going at 280,000 miles. I gave it to my nephew 12 years ago, he has beaten the heck out of it but it won't die.

A decent car, no more, no less.
By action_nad on 02/18/13 21:09 PM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Not the fastest car I have ever had, but not the slowest. Does alright on gas, around 27 mpg by my measurements, but coupled with a very small tank means a lot of stops at the gas station. Interior on the base model is cheap looking, and driving can get uncomfortable after a couple of hours for tall people. All in all, not a bad little go kart, but you can do better.

Vibe 2006 5 speed manual - 286 000 km
By vibe_06_5speed on 11/10/12 09:04 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it had 170 000 km on it, since then (over 2 years ago) I've put on many miles on it (now have 286 000 km). I am very satisfied with the car. I have not put ANY repairs since I've had it other then repainting the top (little bit of rust started). I consistently get between 40 - 44 MPG (Canadian) doing mostly highway (that is about 33 - 36 US MPG). I drive conservative though, I keep it around 100 km/h on highway. I like the exterior of the vibe better then the matrix. The car has good cargo space and when you flip down the seats you get ridiculous amount of room back there, you don't know what your missing until you've had it trust me! Highly recommend!

My Beloved Vibe
By beloved06vibe on 06/18/12 15:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Vibe new and would still be driving it had it not been totalled on Memorial Day. That car had 110,000 miles on it and I NEVER had any problems with it. It drove beautifully until its last day. It was comfortable and great on gas, held 3 kids and all their stuff, and I smiled every time I approached it. If you get the chance to get one, take it!!!

A Great Car ... Through The Years!
By k_texas on 05/16/12 13:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Vibe new back in early '07 ... here it is five years later and I still love it. She (yes, it's a girl -- with her own name) just turned the corner and has safely and efficiently taken me over 100,000 miles. Can't rave enough about fuel economy. Last road trip was just a few weeks ago (about 900 miles r/t) ... she did me proud with 30-35 mpg!! Really?? YES! I noticed a past reviewer commented on very poor handling in Midwest winter snows. I'd like to chime in on that and say mine was quite the Opposite. She handled herself very respectably in a South Dakota winter -- with FOUR blizzards back-to-back.

Keep the Recall in Mind
By bike_canoe2 on 05/09/11 21:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I agree with Edumonds it is sluggish, but 32 mpg city is a definate advantage. The seating is comfortable, road noise is average. It is fun to drive but it's not a sports car. NOW ABOUT THE RECALL - the PCM (performance control module) has issues, it will leave you stranded on the side of the road when it fails. The recall covers specific years, and specific engines so check yours at NHTSA.GOV and have it replaced if yours is recalled! The recall will cover replacing the PCM, labor, and towing to a GM dealer, but it does not cover a loaner vehicle. The dealer is very confident about the reliablity of this vehicle, this is the only issue they have with this vehicle.

Good little car.
By paintballove on 03/08/11 16:52 PM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's a functional wagon. Good MPGs, but with any car it's all in how you drive it. The 5spd manual is fairly fun. The steering is responsive and effective. It won't win awards for looks, but I bought her at 88,000 miles and hope to keep it until it dies. You really don't discover the usefulness in having a wagon until you own one. The stereo layout looked too 90s. Not acceptable for a car made in 2006.

Not a vehicle to buy if you live where it snows
By magic10fingers on 02/22/11 10:47 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2006 Vibe in October of 2010 and have had nothing but trouble with it. This car handles horribly in midwest winters. It has newer tires, just no traction on or in snow and rain. I went in a complete circle turning a corner 1 day and I was barely moving because the snow was fresh and could tell the Vibe wasn't handling well. I was having issues with my key not working in the ignition back in November, and just got a letter on February 19 2011 there is a safety recall with my car. I wouldn't have known about the recall because it wasn't discovered until Aug of 2010 and I bought it in October. Letters didn't start going out until January 14th 2011. Shakes on windy days.

LOVE this car! Will drive it till the wheels fall off!
By osuraerae on 12/09/10 18:40 PM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car! It has been a dream to own. No major problems and coming up on 80000 miles, only routine maintenance needed. It is reliable and comfortable.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.