Used 2006 Pontiac Vibe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

2006 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Still Going Strong
By 123me

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Pontiac Vibe after reading it was the 2nd least stolen car in the Central Valley of California. We have a bit of a problem with theft here and having seen my neighbors Hondas picked off annually I decided I was going to look for something thieves were not interested in. The Vibe has proved to be a terrific car, and anyone looking to invest in it as a use vehicle I say you won’t regret the choice. The Pontiac Vibe is the sister car to the Toyota Matrix. Take a look inside and you will see the same dashboard in each. There is plenty of headroom and with the speaker sound system I have no complaints

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfy. You sit higher so you don't feel like you have 'climb' out of the car. In fact I've never had an easier time getting out of a car. Anyone over the age of 55 knows exactly what I mean. The backseat has the same comfort level and can be folder with either one or two seats remaining. The best, best part is the backseat folding down to make an entirely flat surface. I've loaded bikes, camping equipment, a table saw! I've transported a full side door! The front passenger seat folds down and gives you a full 8' of interior space. Oh and did I mention (the other best part) there is a 110 plug! No need for an extra charger just plug in anything!

Suggested Improvements

I wish I could add something here but since they no longer make the Vibe, in fact the no longer make Pontiacs I guess there is no point. Happy Driving!

Still high mileage!
By 34mpg

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Vibe since buying it off the lot in 2006. Over 169,000 miles and it is still averaging 34mpg. Just took a trip and on the first leg of 300 miles at 60 mph I got 44mpg! The next leg of 200 miles at 75mpg 'only' got 35mpg. No equipment problems other than the known PCM issue that was recalled/replaced. Maybe I'm just lucky with Pontiacs. My first car, a brand new Sunbird, is still going at 280,000 miles. I gave it to my nephew 12 years ago, he has beaten the heck out of it but it won't die.

A decent car, no more, no less.
By action_nad

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Not the fastest car I have ever had, but not the slowest. Does alright on gas, around 27 mpg by my measurements, but coupled with a very small tank means a lot of stops at the gas station. Interior on the base model is cheap looking, and driving can get uncomfortable after a couple of hours for tall people. All in all, not a bad little go kart, but you can do better.

Favorite Features

Fun to putt around in. Cheap to fill up. Plenty of storage space. Good stock radio.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior. Plastic bumpers hurt my feelings. Should get better fuel economy for an I4. Uncomfortable for 6'4" or taller.

Vibe 2006 5 speed manual - 286 000 km
By vibe_06_5speed

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it had 170 000 km on it, since then (over 2 years ago) I've put on many miles on it (now have 286 000 km). I am very satisfied with the car. I have not put ANY repairs since I've had it other then repainting the top (little bit of rust started). I consistently get between 40 - 44 MPG (Canadian) doing mostly highway (that is about 33 - 36 US MPG). I drive conservative though, I keep it around 100 km/h on highway. I like the exterior of the vibe better then the matrix. The car has good cargo space and when you flip down the seats you get ridiculous amount of room back there, you don't know what your missing until you've had it trust me! Highly recommend!

Favorite Features

- The 5 speed manual gets good MPG - VERY reliable - Low cost of ownership - You will pay cheaper for a used vibe vs matrix and its the same car! - its higher from the ground then a corolla or civic, better clearance to avoid bumps or ice bricks or whatever - Seats comfortable, sits higher then a civic or corolla - LOTS of room inside, trunk space enormous!

Suggested Improvements

The roof rack is a bad design, it looks better the way they put it but not very practical. The rails should be further at the front. When I put my bike rack I have to put it the other way around otherwise the back of the rack goes too far and when you open the trunk it hits the rack. If the rails were sitting closer to the front we wouldn't have that problem. Same problem when you put a cargo box that is made a little long, the trunk when open can't open all the way up because it hits against the box.

My Beloved Vibe
By beloved06vibe

2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Vibe new and would still be driving it had it not been totalled on Memorial Day. That car had 110,000 miles on it and I NEVER had any problems with it. It drove beautifully until its last day. It was comfortable and great on gas, held 3 kids and all their stuff, and I smiled every time I approached it. If you get the chance to get one, take it!!!

Favorite Features

The stereo system was BOOMIN!!! I got the Monsoon upgrade- totally worth the $$$. My siblings always blasted it when they got in my car!

Suggested Improvements

None! Absolutely none!!!