Surprisingly fun
By Toyota Boy on
2008 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)
I rented this car for a week on Maui and was pleasantly surprised. I've always liked the looks of the Grand Prix, and after sitting behind the wheel I really began to dig it. It took a little getting used to the layout of the cabin but once I did, I found myself loving the feel of the car. Smooth power, great in the twisties (driving up& down the switchbacks to the Haleakala crater at 10,000 ft). The interior feels a little cheap but I'd only place it a little below the '08 Camry. Overall, I'd say this is a fun car for a good price and definitely worth a look if you're in the market for a sedan.
Favorite Features
Handling in the twisties is very nice. The base 3.8 is strong & smooth especially from 20-60 but a little more power might be nice. I love the fuel economy gauge - why don't all cars have this? With plenty of stop & go and uphill driving, I averaged about 21 mpg- not bad!
Suggested Improvements
Getting out of the rear seat can feel like a contortionist exercise. I'd make the trunk opening wider, too - did not feel like 16 cu ft. A better turning radius would be welcome in tight parking lots. RWD could be nice but the Grand Prix is so well composed that a 5-speed tranny is more important.