Used 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lancer model:

Fun to Drive and Dependable!
By jamster3

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my lancer brand new 6 years ago. It has 110K miles and still runs great! In that time, I took good care of it (nothing extreme), but I replaced the air filter at least once a year, changed the oil about every 5500 miles. Have had 3 sets of tires, changed the front brakes and battery once. Changed the transmission oil twice and that's about it. I still get between 30-32 miles on the highway and about 22 around town. The car has great torque for what it is. Though it's not a luxury vehicle (especially the interior), when I'm at a stop light, sometimes it's hard to tell if the car is still running. that's how good the engine still is.

Favorite Features

Hands-Free - miles per gallon - torque.

Suggested Improvements

a better interior would be nice. The speakers got a loose connection early on (after 3 years).

Awesome machine
By bfrost2

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Alright so this car is absolutely worth the money, I commute 150 miles a day round trip and it runs strong with decent comfort. The only negatives Ive found with this car are if you live where it snows you WILL be jamming out your rims with a snow brush every time you get out of the car or drive around with the car shaking so bad you cant read the guages, it also doesn't do as well as promised on gas I average 23ish. You 100% want the rockford sound system and the CVT transmission is complete junk so buy a 5 speed. (traded my automatic back after 2 weeks because it was so annoying). Other than that this car is amazing and I may buy another one when trade in time rolls around.

Favorite Features

Zippy, looks great, drives great, was CHEAP for what you get.

Suggested Improvements

Milk some better gas mileage out of it or make it faster to validate the sports car mileage. The gauges are near impossible to see in the sun for whatever reason, add an AWD option to the GTS line or add a 5 speed option to the ralliart line.

2009 ES Sport
By serrilion

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer ES-Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'll make this simple for everyone... Good parts: Comfortable Kids car seats fit well Safe car Doesn't break down if you keep up with service Is a very good car in the snow for a FWD 5speed Good MPG Lots of Aftermarket Support Rockford sound system is perfect sun roof is nice as well Bad: Paint sucks Shocks in a bad road state get eatten alive Runs better on 91 octane vs recmended 87 should have come with a short shifter Stock factory tires suck and are to skiny Key Fob loses programing for fast system

Favorite Features

Fast Key system Sound system Engine and Trans reliablity handling Comfort

Suggested Improvements

Paint Key fob wider factory tires TCS switch though 2010 gets it

Amazing vehicle
By sedanfanman

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer ES-Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Mitsu Lancer ES back in July 2009 and 70K+ miles later, I still love it! I looked at similar vehicles while shopping but fell in love with the handling, performance, and value of this car. I've taken very good care of it and haven't had a single engine problem. My one complaint is the paint. Due to a design flaw there is an unusual amount of paint wear on the side skirts near the rear wheels. Countless chips all over the hood (which, yes, happens. But there is a lot more than normal). One time, while washing the car, I was scrubbing off a dead bug and a decent size paint chip came off with it! That should not happen! Regardless, I'd still recommend this car to everyone!

Favorite Features

Handling, performance, and value. Won't have this much fun with any other vehicle under $20K and that is a FACT! I also love how spacious it is. More room than the Carrolla, Impreza, Mazda 3, or Jetta!

Suggested Improvements

Needs better quality paint or extra protective coating. I've touched up the paint several times but plan on getting the car repainted all together.

One of the worst cars ever
By bolshevik

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer DE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car used with little mileage, after a few months I've had to put around a thousand dollars in fixes to it. I had to clean the engine because it was clogged, it has instability problems when accelerating over 60 miles (it vibrates), I had to replace a valve and some other engine internals because they were damaged, had to do injection system cleaning, and the worst of all I have to add oil to it on a constant basis because it just simply consumes a ridiculous amount of oil. My other car a Toyota Yaris 2008 has over 115K (I drive it hard and a lot) and I haven't spent a SINGLE DOLLAR except on the normal oil and tire maintenance which I do by the book.

Favorite Features

Really nothing. The car is so unstable and bad that I'm afraid it will leave me stranded all the time, so pretty much I'm going to just give away the account. Objectively speaking, the exterior and interior are pretty, and it is a spacious sedan, but the mechanics and quality seem like they were made with the cheapest parts available in a third world country factory.

Suggested Improvements

Buy Toyota not Mitsubishi.