2014 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

2014 Mazda Mazda6

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Most Helpful|
A good value, real looker but needs improvements
By jr60

2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had it for a year now with 15k miles and it has its good and bad points. The fuel mileage was a major factor in my choice but also wanted performance and drivability. Generally with a 4 cylinder you a lack the torque and power that you normally get with a V6. I am happy with what Mazda had achieved with this high compression 2.5 liter DOHC. Nice is being able to run on regular gas unlike the competitors who are using 2.0 liter turbo to get the same result. The fuel mileage is excellent averaging over 34 mpg under 60/40 highway/city driving. I figure every fill up and comparing against the electronic display with similar results. The six speed AT with manual override is awesome.

Favorite Features

Pros: Fuel economy , reliability, exterior styling, performance and some of the safety features including the backup camera. Cons: Ride comfort - requires crawling over those speed bumps, interior noise due to wind noise emanating from window frames, USB player lacks memory, does not retain settings and periodically rejects flash drives. Also the LDWS sometimes gets annoying. As a lease I am considering purchase. Tire replacement is costly for anything over 17" and most manufacturers do not offer a mileage warrantee. The added electronic and safety features are nice but after the first 3 years you are on your own

Suggested Improvements

Ok so here are my two cents: Leatherette seats are just a gimmick, no advantage over the basic cloth and less of a sweat factor. USB player needs work and since everything is integrated into the steering wheel you stuck with it. Override for the LDWS - Lane Departure Warning System. Please Mazda fix the wind noise!

Best choice for a manual transmission - 3 months in.
By stirmyown

2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

When you've got to stir your own gears, your choices are limited these days. It seems like you can do it if you opt for a stripped down small car, or a tricked-out european performance sedan. In the mid-level market there is pretty much Mazda and Subaru. Good luck actually finding a stick in America for any other brand. Since I have kids in car seats, rear seat room was an issue. Car seats are ridiculously huge these days. So I had to go a little bit bigger but I didn't want a large SUV. They just aren't fun to drive. I loved my old Subaru Forester, but unfortunately Subaru killed the driving feel in their effort to mass-market and Camry-ize the new Forester and Outback.

Favorite Features

It makes sense on paper to try out the Mazda if you're looking for a mid level sedan with a stick. So I tried it out. It's fantastic to drive! Almost as much fun as a sports car, though it's actually a pretty big sedan. It also looks beautiful to my eye. Not vomit-inducing horrible like the previous generation of joker-grin Mazdas. I'd say it's almost as attractive as the new Ford Fusion, but a little more restrained - and not so blatantly ripping off Aston Martin. The interior is nice. Not wonderful, not offensive, but nice. Not intrusive. I thought the backup camera and blind spot detection would be a gimmick but I actually like it.

Suggested Improvements

There are some stupid ergonomics - all having to do with the "infotainment" system. So you have this big screen in the middle of the dash which is great. But the UI is clunky. Also, it's a touch screen, but they include a BMW i-drive-like joystick. You have to look at the screen anyway, so every single person is just going to touch the screen and never learn how to use the complicated joystick. I'd rather have a place to keep change. The radio station buttons on the screen are up and down, but the button on the steering wheel is right-left. You can only see 6 stations at a time on the screen but there is room for about 30. Etc. It works though. Pairs nicely with phone.

Just didn't work for me.
By herbww

2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I found the seats very hard and the front seat positions limited. When on medium to long drives I would get out of the car limping. The GPS never worked probably, but even if it had I found it difficult to use and read. The mileage wasn't near the rating for highway driving. The car is also a little under powered. The electronics all seemed a little off. The base car is probably very good value. I wrote to Mazda and didn't get a response. I finally just dumped the car after about 8 months of driving.

Favorite Features

Spacious trunk. Mileage good although not as high as expected from rating.

Suggested Improvements

Change the GPS. Change the front drivers seat.

One year later, and still zooming
By johnny2003

2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Our GT is our third Mazda. We left Honda years ago for better styling and value and haven't looked back. Our liquid silver with black leather is a looker. Still after one year, people stop me all the time wanting to know what kind of car it is. People have guessed Lexus, Jag, and Infiniti. I just love the car, it is my daily driver. Still puts a smile on my face every time I open the door and push the start button. No, the navigation is not perfect, but are any of them? No the screen is not too small, I'm two feet from it. I don't need a flat screen on my dash. Radar cruise is COOL! Lots of features that many cars don't have for only $30K. What's not to like?

Favorite Features

Radar cruise. Its nice to set it and let the car gage the distance. Very helpful when in rains all the time in Louisiana.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the navigation was better, but again are any of them. Wish the GT had standard rear parking sensors.

My experience has been very poor
By oblithian

2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

The Mazda 3 arrived after the 6 and has had who knows how many infotainment updates, yet the 6 still hasn't had one in North America, and as a result a lot of the features run into problems (like playing songs not associated with the title displayed, dismally slow connectivity times). Mine has had transmission problems since I bought it, with many appointments and now resolution. The interior bits (especially the tilt steering adjustment) have started vibrating on even smooth roads. rear brakes clunk when releasing. Poor sound insulation. However, it handles nicely and gets pretty good fuel economy.

Favorite Features

easy off tcm attractive interior and exterior Wide tires big trunk

Suggested Improvements

Move tach to the right side of the gauge cluster so you can see it while shifting. (obviously designed as a left hand drive) better quality exterior paint, this stuff is like tissue paper... that rusts. Secure interior pieces better.