Used 2014 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

2014 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Love hate relationship with this car had to end
By me

2014 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Not sure why people are so in love with this car. On the surface it is a very good looking car that is seemingly reliable and gets great gas mileage. These are the exact reasons why I bought this car to begin with. Here is a summary of the good and bad from my personal experience. The Good: Not just great gas mileage, but great gas mileage that matches the computer reading if you calculate manually each tank (I would get 34 with 75/25 mix). The car also has nice handling if you happen to live on a windy road. The car also has a heater and AC that work very well (almost too well, making it hard to regulate temperature with manual controls). The Bad: The car used 1 qt of oil for every 3500 miles since day. The brake rotors were warped after 25000 miles. The ride is rough and there is a lot of road noise. The blind spot visibility is poor. Front passenger seat feels crammed. The windows fog up abnormally in the winter and rear window makes a terrible crackling noise when it is really cold. Dashboard had a bad rattle. Manual Transmission is most unexciting one I have ever driven. A lastly the car is under-powered (lacks low end torque), which is the price you pay for good gas mileage I guess. The love/hate relationship had to end so I traded this in for a '16 Passat and am much happier.

I am in the minority about this car
By eapj

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car one year ago as a certified used vehicle. My husband's car died suddenly and we needed something pronto. We were looking for something with a stick shift that was relatively fun and this was one of the few cars available at the time in our price range. Let me just say that after one morning of driving the car, my husband asked if he could trade and drive my 2015 VW Golf instead.

The Mazda6 is a sharp looking car and the value seems to be pretty good on the surface. That being said, we aren't happy with the car and I won't purchase another. The car is very load on the road and I had to talk the dealership into looking up the technical service bulletin about it (I'm waiting for the parts to come in). The Bluetooth stops working every few months (I unhook the battery to get it going again) and routinely pauses in the middle of songs or phone calls. I realize that's minor but if a car is fairly new, you want it to work. The Bluetooth module was replaced under warranty but the behavior is exactly the same so it didn't go any good.

I also find the ride to be very rough. I needed new breaks and tires at 33k miles and though the tire replacement would make the ride better. Not so! It's actually worse. It's decent around town but super rough on the highway. I've had a VW GTI, a Ford Focus SVT and a Mini Cooper S so it's not that I don't like a rough ride. I guess I don't like a rough ride in a big family sedan. The combo just doesn't make sense to me. I also feel like the sheetmetal is cheap; it seems to dent easily or that's been my experience, at least.

The car does handle very well and the brakes are good. I also appreciate the blind spot monitoring.

Part of my dislike of the car is personal preference - I really don't like big cars or sedans. I'm already looking at other options, either hatchbacks, crossovers (yuck) or wagons. I've gotten to the point in my like (early 40s) where some fun and some equipment without a punishing ride is what I'm looking for. Manual transmissions are getting rare and many manuals don't come with equipment. I might have to go to an automatic for the first time in my life or just get a base model Golf wagon or pony up for a GTI with bells and whistles (I've not experienced the VW nightmares that others have and I've had a series of VWs). I test drove a Ford Focus with a stick and a Ford Escape and liked both much more than the Mazda.

Full disclosure - I do recommend this car to others but it's just not the right one for me or my husband.

Great Value
By Sam

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car has treated me very well. I have very little to complain about. My Mazda6 Touring only cost me about 24,500 which comes with a lot of features that would have cost a LOT more with other cars (I know I did a lot of shopping when I decided on the Mazda). The blind spot monitoring is cool and has helped me avoid several traffic incidents, the backup camera works great and now I back-up into spaces like a pro (it also alerts you by beeping when cars are criss-crossing behind you). I love the radio control by the armrest, allows me to change things without reaching for the screen. I get great gas mileage consistently and the car is a blast to drive. I put a LOT of miles on this car the first couple years of owning it and have had NO problems maintenance-wise. Nothing broke down, damaged... I did have to have the brakes replaced once, but I did a lot of City driving. My only real complaint was how poorly this car dealt with snow with the original tires (and the stupid expensive tires I bought to replace)... lots of skidding and very little traction. I think this is in part because the car is so light and the few options of tires in its size. 19" looks nice, but it is expensive to replace tires.

Overall this is a fantastic car. The ride is fun and sporty. It gets great gas mileage. The interior materials are wonderful; feels like luxury car without it being one. Lots of room. Very reliable and fun. Also mine is red with a spoiler, and I have had a LOT of people tell me how sharp my car looks. I highly recommend the Mazda6!

Reliable and Accident Proven!!!
By Devin

2014 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for over 2 years now and I have to say; I love it more and more every day! Here are a few of my favorite things about the car:

- Fuel Economy (Mazda estimated about 38 hwy, though i've gone WAY above that)
- Styling (I get looks all the time, and have even been asked about the car at a stop light)
- Price (With the standard features in this car, the price point is ridiculously low)
- Performance (Obviously this car isn't setting any 1/4 mile records, but it has good power - all things considering - with peak torque around only 2800rpm.
- Handling (This car feels more like a sporty coupe than a 4-door sedan, but doesn't feel overly automated)
- Safety (I hit a deer on the highway going about 60mph and walked away with only a bruise from the seatbelt)

I would recommend this car to literally anyone, as it can appeal to all tastes. In fact, whenever someone I know is car shopping, I am insistent that they drive this car.

Best Car I've owned in 46 years
By Art Toye

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

From Accuras to Lexus, this is the best all around car I've owned in the last 5 decades. This actually the second Mazda in 1972. The first was a Mazda RX2 with a wankel rotary engine. That's was the start of Zoom Zoom. Anyway, I got the Grand Touring because the difference between Touring with Nav, and a few accesssories was $27k vs $31k. And, then you get all the bells and whisles included. Like what are leatherette seats that's included in the Touring. Why not go for real leather. Anyways, the radar braking and cruise control are two of the amazing features, standard. They allow you to set your highway speed and it will adjust if traffic slows down and speeds up again or it will slow down if someone cuts in front. Also, it also slams on the brakes if traffic stops. Handling is amazing through the canyons in southern CA. And it's like hitting a pool of taffy when you brake. The standard 19 inch wheels probably have something to do with it. Standard directional Xenon lights were a little foo-foo till you actually see them adjust going around corners or a dark freeway off ramp. They really help light up the road in the direction you are going. ( However, I hate to get an estimate if I ever have to replace them!!. Same for the side mirrors with the built-in lane change sensors) I am amazed at how well the lane change sensors work. When a car is beside you and signal a lane change, the car beeps, warning you. How it know the difference between a parked car on the right or objects not a factor on the left is amazing. I got 42 mpg doing 75 going LA to SF on a couple occasions when the car was new. I think I had tailwind though. Now it seems to get 32 to 34 consistently. I still get 40 once in a while. Around town I get between 24-28.

The absolute worst feature is the tom-tom voice nav system. Sometimes, I trying to program the Nav system by voice on long trips by voice. It never works but it give you someone to talk to. Manual programing is ok but a pain and I do use it, but I use my iphone when i want to get quick and easy GPS navigation. Another thing the Tom-tom does not do is show an overview map without a lot of fiddling with the controls, something you don't want to do while driving.

Other things I like about the Mazda 6 touring

It beeps to warn you of a car or person coming while backing up.
It runs on regular gas.
It gets great gas mileage.
It has great styling.
It handles great.
Huge trunk and the back seats fold down.

Things I don't like

The GPS.
The heated seats are lame, but I'm in southern CA.
I tend to hit the curb with tires and rims while parking. (never used to do that)

(BTW Mazda replace 2 wankel engines on my RX2 under warranty after they blew up from over reving)