2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Disappointed
By Kssey

2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Overall I guess the car is ok but the transmission is the worst I've ever experienced. It's quick to to gear down at the slightest incline yet slow to shift back ( 5 to 8 seconds sometimes longer). I took it back to the dealer the second week I had it and they told me it was fine. I drive on the highway a lot but can't use my cruse because of it.

Transmission died after 24,000 miles
By Steve

2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2015 CX5 Grand Touring w/ tech package in October 2014. Fast forward to March 2016 with 24,000 miles on it and my transmission died. It needed to be completely replaced. I replaced the vehicle entirely with a Rogue.

Pros:

-I really like the exterior. I especially like the Soul Red color.
-The blind spot warning system is very visible

Cons:

-Well, the transmission died after 24,000 miles.

-The technology (Although, I think they updated it for 2016) was slow. It would always takes 5-10 seconds to switch from FM to XM. Furthermore, pairing my iPhone would take a while, especially during the downloading of contacts whereas my new Rogue downloaded it in 5 seconds.

-The Smart City Braking System is useless. It's supposed to stop the car if it senses another car in front of if you are going under 15 mph (I think). It may be useful if you live in Manhattan but for me it was just a giant pain. I work in a secured environment. There is a lift gate getting into work. The lift gate would start to lift and I would let off the brake and it would think the gate is a car and then slam on the brakes for me. I mean, obviously I learned eventually but to me it is a completely useless safety feature and could only do me harm rather than good.

Fun to drive
By Jan Sands

2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Finally got rid of my 12-year-old car and I love this one. I like sitting up higher, lots of visibility, great "driving aids" like the back-up camera and blinking/beeping in side mirrors when there is a car in the blind spots. Tons of cargo area when the second row seats are folded down. Easy-to-use controls for the radio, navigation system and climate adjustments. Love the heated seats!

Wanted to love this Certified Pre-Owned Mazda CX-5
By Vicki Cheney

2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

UPDATE: The company replaced one shock under the TSB and I did convince them that both shocks should be replaced, and they did so as a goodwill gesture. I have another TSB related to the Bluetooth head unit that I need honored, and then no further TSBs will be completed under warranty, as that only happens under the new car bumper-to-bumper warranty, not the extended one. Another plus I noticed: I used to hate driving at night, but the headlamps provide such good light coverage that I actually enjoyed a late night drive. My gas mileage has improved since I have had the car, although maybe not quite the EPA rating. The good: it is stylish and fun to drive. I like the backup camera and blind spot warnings.
The maybe not so good: My gas mileage for my first tank of gas with this vehicle netted me 21.2 mpg, quite a bit short of the EPA estimate of 25 in town, or even 24-26 in town. My Honda Element gets better and is rated lower! I needed better gas mileage. This is very disappointing. I do not let the car run while stopped unless it is at a stop light or sign, I keep tires aired, I do not charge stops or peel off from them. I am a very conservative driver. I observe speed laws. I see no way to bring this vehicle up to the EPA rating.

The first drive off the lot after purchase (and this was after already having test driven the vehicle with no observed issues), first speed bump, chirp, squeak, clunk. I researched known issues with interior design. I could find nothing that seemed to be an issue. Then the seatbelt latch broke. Took the vehicle into the Mazda dealer 36 hours after taking it home. They fixed the seatbelt latch. They said that squeaks and rattles are not covered under any of the warranties, not the 60 day local warranty, not the new car bumper to bumper warranty -- nothing. The service adviser said he would contact Mazda to see if he could get approval to do a diagnostic at no charge to me. There is even a Technical Service Bulletin describing the "chirp" that I am hearing. If this is going to be my experience with Mazda after the sale, I will not be a happy camper. I still am waiting for a determination on the diagnostics an necessary repairs.

Except for the heating, A/C and defogger systems
By SuzIndy

2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted to wait till I owned this CX-5 touring long enough to experience all seasons to their worst. 8 month's ownership in central IN, former CR-V owner. I have to say that I love everything about this car except for the defogger/heat and air system. I must choose between having clear windows or a comfortable cabin. In the 11 years I owned the Honda, this was not the case. In the CX-5 you cannot turn on the internal air recirculation if you have the defogger dial engaged. (I went to the dealership to make sure it wasn't user error.) I realize this is common with other makes, but I hate it. I experienced sudden visibility loss on a hot, muggy night when I first owned the car. I hate having to smell car exhaust inside my vehicle. On a 15 degree day my windows froze shut on my 35 min. drive because I (only person in the car) could not keep the interior warm enough to keep the window seal from freezing. I had to keep the defroster on or I couldn't see. And, this was after parking in a heated garage overnight. The car rides like a dream, is quiet, gets great mileage, is comfortable for large adults in the front and back. The sound system is great and I love the look of the car. This car is great for a desert dweller, not for anyone who must fight foggy windows in humid environments. This is a deal breaker for me. I will trade the car within 2 years, whereas I kept my Honda for 11. If it were not for Honda's road noise, I probably would have purchased another. I thought the CX-5 was my answer. One other tiny thing, the cargo area could use more than a 1 by 2 inch light for a $28K car.