2006 Lotus Elise - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (27 reviews )
This car is sick.
By Clint on 05/31/10 20:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Instant celebrity status, whether you want it or not. You will begin getting gas at night just to avoid all the questions and strangers chatting you up for 20 minutes. I have learned more about the car from others than I knew before I purchased it. It is alarmingly quick to 100 mph and I have not had one problem with it. Not one, ever, an extraordinary feat for a hand-built vehicle. The interior is simple and clean, with only the essentials. The high RPM power is addictive. I would equate driving this vehicle with how a great white shark must feel swimming along out there, knowing there is nothing out there that can touch him. Lotus is ahead of its time with 30 MPG and iPod hook-up!

Best Attention Getter
By Ryan on 05/29/09 04:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you choose to buy a lotus Elise you are also making a commitment to people wanting to know what it is. I have seen more Ferraries and Lamborghinis than lotuses. That truly makes this an exotic car. It sounds like a formula one car under an over pass! This truly is the best bang for your buck you can get. Touring and sport packs are great! Worth the money.

Very fun car with some drawbacks
By Ian on 12/03/08 23:18 PM (PST)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car was built for the track. If you buy this car expecting anything more than a driving machine, you are looking at it for the wrong reason. The combination of aluminum and fiberglass that make up the Elise provide a very high power to weight ratio, even with the very small 1.8L Toyota engine. After pushing the car past 6200 rpm you feel a boost in power as the car switches to the second cam. As you redline in second at 8500 rpm, the shift into third pushes your head back into the seat. At this point you realize that you're on the freeway inching toward 100 and need to slow down. What a killjoy. Amazing handling and road hugging tires make freeway on ramps the best part of your day.

Pound for pound, $ for $, best deal
By chapman on 05/19/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned a number of other so called sports cars over the years. I went through a Corvette stage, a Viper stage and a Porsche stage. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar no car can touch the Lotus Elise for pure fun, driveability and performance. Yes it doesn't have a 600 hsp engine and yes it doesn't have a 6 figure price tag but take the Elise out on twisty winding roads and watch the power cars eat your dust.

Don't judge. It's better than you think.
By mikeebear on 08/12/07 23:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is amazing. It is like a street-legal road rocket. A race car. A go-kart. It's so fun to drive. I have driven faster cars, but none more gratifying than this. And it's no slouch either! Once you're inside, it's pretty cozy and roomy. Easy to get comfy in. I have never been in a car that garnered so much attention. Every day I get compliments, questions, comments, and non-stop looks. I don't imagine that Ferrari owners get nearly this much attention. Take this car to some twisty back roads and the magic will come to life. That is where this car belongs and that is where you will have the most fun with it. It's no dragster and if that's what you want, move on, this car isn't for you.

LOVE
By PT Abbott on 06/30/07 13:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

It's nearly impossible to get into with the top on, almost as bad with the top off. But once you're in it getting out doesn't matter, you just want to stay in it forever. No better bang for the buck, most attention getting car ever owned, and I've pretty much had them all. A street legal race car that makes you SMILE SMILE SMILE. There's no better handling, braking or accelerating car on the market, sure some go faster in a straight line, and some may brake a little better, but nothing else has the package the way this car does. God bless Colin Chapman, may he rest in peace, his legacy lives on and on and on.

9000 miles in an Elise
By Joe on 03/29/07 21:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A fun car that takes a little getting used to. Getting in and out for me, 6 foot 2 inches, 205 pounds was a little tricky at first, but now feels normal, taking about 2 weeks to adjust. Driving the Elise is tons of fun and manuevering it is easier than any other car I've ever driven. It is very forgiving, especially for a RWD sports car. Over rough roads or on long trips (with the stage II exhaust fitted) the Elise is definitely not at home. You will feel every bump and the drone of the engine will likely wear on you. Nonetheless, the Lotus is an amazing car, even as a daily driver. There is nothing on the market that comes close in performance and looks for anything near the money.

Bang for the Buck
By Mackspane on 02/16/07 01:37 AM (PST)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

In 1998 I was finally established enough to buy a nice new car and purchased a Boxter and I enjoyed it, but 8 years later, after only 22,000 miles, it died. In 2006 I was looking, quite honestly, for the best bang for my buck. I'm single and don't drive much and never used the back seats in my old cars, so a 2 seater was ideal for me. Upon seeing the Elise I was sold. In Chili Red with the Sport and Luxury upgrades, I purchased a 2006 brand new and it is quite literally the most amazing car I've ever owned. Between beauty, performance, and even reliability (with the Toyota engine), this car blew and still blows away anything from twice the price on down. It's truly an awe inspiring vehicle

new car
By Adam Horak on 02/12/07 08:38 AM (PST)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

WOW is all I can say! Looks outstanding drives amazing.

Best Sports Car!
By jhill on 01/21/07 01:18 AM (PST)

2006 Lotus Elise 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have been an owner of five Porsches over the past 14 years. I have driven a 968 convertible, '86 911 Carrera that had a race suspension and performance engine, '98 996 S w/turbo body, '03 997 turbo and a '06 Cayman S. All of these cars were amazing and unique, but the Lotus Elise is truly the ride I have been looking for. Yes it is not a Porsche uni-body design and it does lack German engineering, but the feed back and handling is so much like a race car it is truly awesome! The light weight chassis design along with the independent suspension makes this vehicle very unique. For the driver that wants a sports car experience, Lotus is as close as you can get to driving a formula one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.