Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Regret?
By sdbolts

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in March of 2012 with high expectations. In the beginning, I didn't notice how bad the gas mileage actually was, because I thought it was just getting acclimated with my driving. However, after a couple months, I could only muster between 23-25mpg city, and 27-29mpg highway. Also, the steering is rather lacking, it doesn't feel tight or grip the road as well as thought it would. The acceleration is weak, period. Also, the "eco" mode plays a large role in fuel economy, larger than I expected. Without the eco mode, the car handles well, more power, and a much better feel; just how I expected with about 20% worse fuel economy.

-Good trunk space -Comfortable back seat -Intuitive spedometer and dash -Stylish looks, (clean, elegant) -Simple buttons

POOR GAS MILEAGE
By errolb

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new 2012 Kia Optima LX a few months ago. I like everything about the car except the gas mileage, stated to average 28mpg, all I get is 22mpg. That is a big difference when gas is over $4/gallon. (Every car I have previously owned achieves the stated mpg.) The matter is compounded by the poor response from Kia. I have spoken to two consumer service agents, both of whom were unresponsive to the point of being rude. They contended that the mileage rating was after 5000 miles of 'break-in', despite the fact that the manual clearly says no break-in is required, and actually tried to blame the dealer (?). A disappointing commentary on an otherwise good car.

Attractive design, comfortable seats.

Honesty about mileage ratings. Helpful and positive response from Consumer Service agents who should remember that the first word in their description is Consumer, and atisfying the consumer should be the primary objective, not self-serving glib responses.

Unquestionably in love with this car!
By poolgirl78

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After months of research, and driving my friends and family crazy with car talk, I decided to buy the 2012 Kia Optima EX-Turbo in Snow White Pearl with the Premium package. I've owned this car for 4 months now and taken it on a couple long distance trips; overall I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase.

Performance : I have a lead foot and this car certainly does not disappoint! The power you need and expect are at your disposal off the line and when you need a little extra when you're already cruising. MPG : Ok so it definitely doesn't get what Kia advertises. However, on my long distance trips, with the car on cruise at 8 miles over any posted speed limit, I'm getting 31.6 MPG. City driving I'm averaging 29.6 MP Comfort & handling : I am a smaller person (5'3") so the "lack of head room" doesn't effect me. The car feels sturdy on the road, responds quickly to any steering adjustments, and is comfortable. Other good traits : canted dash, back up camera, and panoramic sunroof.

UVO : You cannot use the text to voice feature on any cell phone that I've researched so far. This really is a huge disappointment considering how technologically advanced and dependent we are. Steering wheel mounted controls : I wish there were more of them! Radio controls : The only way to access your pre-programmed stations is through the touch screen or using the steering wheel controls. Either way it's a much more time consuming process than I would like. Numbered hard buttons or a better layout on the screen would make channel jumping much easier.

Kia Optima 2012 Excitement gone
By nccarowner

2012 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Optima EX after looking around for months. My excitement of owning the car is down now. I do not get the advertised mpg even if I coast & go just under the speed limit. The dealers have given me the same rehearsed response about MPG. My 2000 accord could hold the road better & get better gas mileage. I only get 28-29 on the highway at 65 mph. The onramp I have to wait to accelerate compared to my 12yr old honda accord. I have to go a min of 5mph slower or there is huge oversteer. The paint on the car is easily chipped off. I get compliments on the looks but I'm stuck in the car. Charger has a better ride but seats aren't as nice & it got 32mpg when I tested it for 2 days

Seats, interior lighting, Blue tooth, but forget it recognizing your phone book names, lots of space even for the people in the back seats, It looks like kind of Like an AUDI with a smile

MPG, Paint, cornering, handling -- It would be nice to get the advertised mpg especially if you are driving the speed limit. Paint that didn't chip so easily maybe they should visit a Honda plant in Ohio. It should be able to out handle a 12 year old accord and get better mpg. It would be nice if when I closed the door it didn't sound like metal hitting metal sometimes. I drove my 2000 Accord like I stole it for 232,000 miles and I drive this thing like my grandma. I wish I would have bought the Charger yes the seats aren't as nice but better mpg, acceleration, handling and for 2k more lifetime warranty bumper to bumper. If not that an Camary. Don't buy the car!!!!

So far so good...
By bykdude

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Great car and great value. First 1000 miles ok. Only complaint would be the seats. Dude...you might as well be seating on a park bench. Other than that, this vehicle has all the features of any other luxury car. We'll just have to see how it stands up over time.

Hyrbrid performance is acceptable. Getting around 33 mpg all city driving. You never get what they claim. Great styling.

Factory stereo sucks. Seats suck. If you don't have hemorroids you will after riding in this thing for awhile.

• SUV