Fun car, great turbo power, lots of features.
By djg77 on
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
This isn't a review about mechanical issues since it's too new to tell. I've had my new Santa Fe 2.0T (FWD, base package, no frills) for a couple of weeks now. I love it. It is a comfortable, quiet, fun car to drive. The 270+ hp turbo engine has no problem pushing up the steep inclines of the Texas hill country. It doesn't even blink. You'll take a bit of a hit on gas mileage over the non-turbo model, but it's worth it. The non-turbos are just sluggish. The interior is very comfortable, has great looking trim, and the standard options on the base package are impressive. Heat seaters, power everything, bluetooth, all of the things you want.
Favorite Features
Loads of power make the turbo engine my favorite "feature." (Be aware that turbo engines require different maintenance and mechanical awareness than non-turbo engines. Turbos get very, very hot, so don't push it like a NASCAR driver at all times. If you park it with a hot turbo you could cook your oil. Don't be afraid to use it, but remember to let it breathe for a bit under calmer driving conditions.) Another great feature is the in-floor storage areas in the trunk. Huge fan of those. More cars need them. Ample foot room in the backseat is nice. Handsome interior trim is highly appreciated. No one likes boring plastic everywhere.
Suggested Improvements
Stated gas mileage for the city has been dead on so far. They advertise 20 mpg, and I'm averaging 20-21. That's in Austin, where we have some steep hills and streets. I think highway mileage has been overstated for most people, though. I'm averaging 25 mpg under average driving conditions at 75 mph, which is a pretty average highway speed in Texas. Coming home from a road trip this past weekend I put it at 60-65 mph for about 30 miles just to test it. I laid off the gas on declines and I managed to get it all the way up to 28-29 mpg. That went back down in a hurry once I started driving normally, though. 25 mpg highway has been about max for me. (results may vary)