2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
09' AWD Escape Hybrid Base Review - 167K Miles
By acd72 on 04/07/13 11:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

All in all it has been a solid vehicle. No major repairs. Bought used from a dealer 2.5yrs ago w/ 40K. I drive 50K miles/yr for work. In the summer I avg 28-31MPG. In the winter 26-27mpg. Not sure how much cold weather affects mileage, because I let the car warm up in the driveway regulary. Recently my wife started driving and avgs 23-25MPG. Thought something wrong, so I reset the mpg. It went up to 30. I believe the driver has the most impact on MPG.

108K and Still going strong
By jas74 on 07/13/12 06:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2009 escape hybrid from my company fleet department. It was driven by a colleague of mine for 99K. I took it to Ford for the 100k service, all it needed was spark plugs, cabin filters and Oil Change! Are you kidding me? She said the hybrids have less wear and tear than a normal ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). Yeah the handling and performance is not of a BMW X5, but how about that reliability! and 33-35MPG that I get consistently. Oh and the 100k service $400 bucks at the dealer. Not bad

37 MPG! & Great for Tall Drivers
By phatcat73 on 06/01/12 10:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchase mine used in Nov 2010 and it had 32k miles on it. It was a fleet vehicle which probably means car rental which concerned me a bit, however aside from buying new, used versions are difficult to find. I'm 6'6"and few cars/trucks fit me. For being a compact SUV, this one is just right! At temperatures above 50 deg, I'm averaging around 37mpg in mixed driving. To get to the level I learned to maximize the battery when driving under 40mph as the engine can shutoff and drive under all electric power for a short time. You really have to learn the thresholds as to when the engine will kick in driving under 40 then try to maximize the battery. This will yield higher MPGs.

Disappointing, especially in cold weather
By akservices on 01/19/12 11:32 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the car for almost three years, and am disappointed. The mileage numbers have never come close to the advertised numbers, and when it's really cold (i.e., less than 0), the MPG plummets to 14 or 15. This is hardly better than our 1997 Ford Explorer. Friends who own Toyota Priuses have also reported lower MPG in the cold, but theirs go down to 30 MPG, from 40. Even when the temperature is "normal," meaning 60 to 70, and I'm doing highway driving the best mileage I've ever gotten out of the car is 27 MPG. In retrospect, I wish I'd bought a non-hybrid and spent a lot less $$.

why is my gas mileage so poor?
By sladams on 08/01/11 12:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a used 2009 escape hybrid 2wd with 42000 miles on it. I think it was probably a fleet car. It's in good shape but I'm only getting 25 miles to the gallon with combined city/hwy driving. And, the gas tank only seems to take 11 gallons when I believe it has a 15 gallon tank. I know it's hot and the aircon has to be on but isn't that still pretty low mileage? Kind of wishing I had bought a new non-hybrid for the same money now. Any info/suggestions would be helpful in making me feel like I made a decent purchase. thanks

Too Many Issues
By jlcomstock on 06/15/11 07:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had too many issues: 1. Steering locking up while driving, had entire column replaced under warranty 2. Rear window leak 3. Missing wiring for heated mirror 4. Busted A/C blend actuator within a year 5. Brakes and rotors needed at 30k, even though the car uses regenerative braking that doesn't even use the pads and rotors above 5mph. 6. Jerky transition to mechanical brakes in rainy weather. Too loose a transition to mechanical brakes in hot/dry weather. 7. Grinding / Rubbing noise when turning sharp left that no one has been able to fix. Just too many issues.

No problem automobile
By Tom on 08/15/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven 14 months 23,000 miles. No mechanical problem, gas mileage is as they claim. Quick pik up when need power to take over other car on the highway. My older Honda Accord has 2 second delay when need the power. Dealer adjusted power steering as tight as possible, but need little more tighten for more control at high speed. Need improve wind noise at high speed.

Love it! (even after 2 warranty repairs)
By Kyle on 06/13/10 09:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my FEH for 4 months now. I love it, it makes my daily commutes in traffic so much better. The sync system is awesome, same with the hands-free phoning, and the satellite radio. I've been getting about 36 mpg - plus it's kinda fun try to keep the tach in the green (battery mode) while driving, it takes a little practice to get good at it - sometimes I even find myself hoping traffic will slow down so I can recharge! On the downside, I have had to take it back to the dealership for two different repairs, will go into more detail below. Overall I am extremely happy with the purchase and would recommend the FEH to anyone (as long as it's still under warranty). It's a great vehicle!

Update after 33,000 miles
By Ken on 11/05/09 09:53 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like my Escape less now than when I first purchased it. I don't know if my problems are isolated or if other vehicles have the same issues. The heated seats stay warm only minutes after being turned on. The seats warm quickly but then fade to cool within about 5 minutes. The air conditioning system is a joke. When both driver and passenger sides are set to the same temperature, the passenger side, will blow 8 degrees warmer than the drivers side...but only sometimes. Also, the system can be set at 72 degrees and blow hot but can also blow cold when set to 76. It's frustrating. I think the a/c system may be bipolar. The dealer says the technology is in the motor...he's right.

Great SUV
By jgimp123 on 08/04/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first SUV, but I LOVE it! It is roomy inside and has a lot of neat gadgets. The ride is smooth, although the gas engine is a little loud. The sync feature is nice, except when it doesn't understand your commands. MPG is pretty good. I've had mine for a few weeks and average 30 mpg. The faster you drive, the more it decreases. It is a bit touchy at first and takes some getting used to transitioning from gas to electric. The more I drive it, the easier it is to use the electric motor under 40 vs the gas. If you run the AC, it is difficult to get the electric motor to kick in. Overall, great car and highly recommend it! One nice thing is that maintenance is not required often.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid in VA is:

$118 per month*