Used 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

My Millennium Falcon
By William Blake

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very reliable and comfortable with traction in deep snow as good or better than my explorer. Around town, less than 40 mph, the electric motors give smooth, quiet, gas free acceleration and all braking refills the battery. Room for the skis, snowboards and boots in the vehicle while seating 4, or on top with room for 5. In 118,000 miles the driver's front wheel bearing has failed twice and the lower ball joints have been replaced once. Other than that the engine/motors and "Continuously Variable Transmission" and body and drive train have been flawless.

09' AWD Escape Hybrid Base Review - 167K Miles
By acd72

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

All in all it has been a solid vehicle.
No major repairs. Bought used from a dealer 2.5yrs ago w/ 40K.
I drive 50K miles/yr for work.
In the
summer I avg 28-31MPG. In the winter 26-27mpg.
Not sure how much cold weather affects mileage, because I let the car warm up in the driveway regulary.
Recently my wife started driving and avgs 23-25MPG.
Thought something wrong, so I reset the mpg.
It went up to 30.
I believe the driver has the most impact on MPG.

-Acceleration, especially being a Hybrid -AWD . No issues in MI winter -Capless fueltank! Filling up 3-4x/wk you'll appreciate it -Reliable. No issues after 167,000 miles (knock on wood)

-Sync System Clumsy (Bluetooth Stereo feature is nice) -Back seats are a pain to fold -Steering Whee leather is peeling -Satellite Radio changes stations very slow. If you go to fast it just quits -Cabin could be quieter -Don't get the cloth seats if you have short haired dogs (pain to clean) -Gas Engine turns on if A/C is on (Ford has changed this with newer models of Escape Hybrid) -At 50K miles/yr, I save roughly 340gallons of gas over same year gas model. about $100/mo in gas. - New gas models get better MPG (Probably why the hybrid version is no longer offered) -Brakes are very touchy after rain (don't know if that is a characteristic of my NAPA ceramic brake pads or the regen system

108K and Still going strong
By jas74

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2009 escape hybrid from my company fleet department.
It was driven by a colleague of mine for 99K.
I took it to Ford for the 100k service, all it needed was spark plugs, cabin filters and Oil Change!
Are you kidding me?
She said the hybrids have less wear and tear than a normal ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).
Yeah the handling and performance is not of a BMW X5, but how about that reliability! and 33-35MPG that I get consistently.
Oh and the 100k service $400 bucks at the dealer.
Not bad

37 MPG! & Great for Tall Drivers
By phatcat73

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchase mine used in Nov 2010 and it had 32k miles on it.
It was a fleet vehicle which probably means car rental which concerned me a bit, however aside from buying new, used versions are difficult to find.
I'm 6'6"and few cars/trucks fit me.
For being a compact SUV, this one is just right!

At temperatures above 50 deg, I'm averaging around 37mpg in mixed driving.
To get to the level I learned to maximize the battery when driving under 40mph as the engine can shutoff and drive under all electric power for a short time.
You really have to learn the thresholds as to when the engine will kick in driving under 40 then try to maximize the battery.
This will yield higher MPGs.

Great for tall drivers. Sync system with ipod/bluetooth/sirius support is great. Once you go hybrid, it's difficult to go back to conventional engines. It's like taking a step back in technology. Reliability - Rental purchased with 32k miles and I now have 62k with ZERO problems. I've read these hybrids are overbuilt and have many heavy duty components installed vs conventional Escapes. Battery Longetivity - I read an article about a fleet of CA Escape Hybrid taxis being put in retirement after 300k miles. They were still running solid and the batteries held a greater than 80% charge. Wow! Maintenance - Oil changes every 10k, low stress on the engine due to battery,

Convert to lithium ion batteries and make it a plug-in! It's no wonder major car manufacturers are slow to roll out hybrids/plugins. With their low maintenance, and longetivity, people will be visiting their dealers less often for maintenance and car purchases. I'm looking forward to startups such as Tesla, to help motivate the competition.

Disappointing, especially in cold weather
By akservices

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the car for almost three years, and am disappointed.
The mileage numbers have never come close to the advertised numbers, and when it's really cold (i.e., less than 0), the MPG plummets to 14 or 15.
This is hardly better than our 1997 Ford Explorer.
Friends who own Toyota Priuses have also reported lower MPG in the cold, but theirs go down to 30 MPG, from 40.
Even when the temperature is "normal," meaning 60 to 70, and I'm doing highway driving the best mileage I've ever gotten out of the car is 27 MPG.

In retrospect, I wish I'd bought a non-hybrid and spent a lot less $$.

Nice exterior design.