2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Consumer Review: Spark EV 2LT

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV - Consumer Review

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV

2LT 4dr Hatchback (0-cyl. Electric 1-speed Direct Drive)

Spark EV 2LT
By lotsofpaper on

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV 2LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I leased the Spark EV in Feb 2014 and it's a secondary car and I travel about 30 miles roundtrip to and from work and this is on freeways mostly and I travel at about 70mph.
No issues getting up to speed in fact I often catch up to the cars in front.
I've come to really enjoy the quiet ride.
Once home I usually have about 58 miles of range left, I charge with a level 1 charger at 12amps which is fine for me.
I did get a Level 2 charger for free from Bosch but haven't used it yet.
I would recommend driving this vehicle in mixed driving and see how you like it.
Range will be impacted if you live or commute over a lot of hills.

EV ride, technology, compact size. It's great for downtown areas and parking lots very nimble and very easy to move around. Another great feature is the OnStar app you can do so much with it. When I purchased mine they offered 3 years free of OnStar directions and connections, when you call for a destination they take into account your present charge/range and they will even send an appropriate route if you are out of range to a charging station. I've come to really enjoy this little car.

When plugging in a level 1 charger you have to manually input 12amp charge Every Single Time. That gets old but I've read that this was because Volt owners were waking up to uncharged cars because their houses could not handle the 12 amps (tripping the circuit breaker) so it defaults to 8 every singe time. The interior also started squeaking about 2 days in, which is annoying but I can bear it as I do not enjoy visiting the dealers. Another improvement could be the HVAC controls it gets some getting used to for example only wanting the air from the outside (vent). Press Temp ensure Auto is on, then press Auto, should only use about 6% of energy.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By luvmysp23
on 11/07/14 11:47 AM (PST)

Hey, would you be willing to sell that Level 2 charger? [contact info removed] Thanks for the review. I have a smart ev and I may consider this next when my lease is up 11/15 if Chevy releases the car out here that is (NJ).