Partially Underrated
By Johan WA on
2003 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
Very good, safe vehicle. Convenient. Great on winter roads to go skiing Ė perfect; never put winter tires on it and never slipped once. I donít like the rugged bumper-look, however, you do spend most of your time on the inside looking out, so the interior must be super-good, and it is, comfy and lots of gizmos. Variable ground clearance is the coolest Ė itís why I got it. I expected it all to be broken by now, but 100,000 miles later it still works (and I use that toy). They say EPA is 16/23 city/high: my combined average is 22.1mpg at an average speed of 33mph, but I am a very gentle/boring driver. Overall smooth and relaxed vehicle; go anywhere any speed, over a pass or valet parking.
Favorite Features
Up/down the ground clearance with the touch of a button. Overall comfort, heated seats front and back. The boot is good for dogs. AWD is great. You never have to be ashamed. Auto-dimming mirrors, and rear parking sensors; can you live without it? Side-view mirrors are large; function meets design.
Suggested Improvements
Low pressure Bi-turbo, what can I say? Useless. The 2.2-liter inline turbo-5 (1995 S6, 5MT, Avant of course) was "better." V6 suffers from the extra cylinder and wimp turbos. Transmission: struggles to save fuel in town by not shifting down properly around street corners. S-mode in town is the cure.