Used 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews

$20,990

Used Touareg for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

If God designed a vehicle this would be it

Michael U, 10/07/2015
TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This is the greatest Vehicle I've ever driven, I absolutely love it!!! If you notice this car, see the price tag and move on because its a VW; you're doing yourself an injustice. It handles and performs like a sports car, it rides and feels like a luxury suv, it tows like a full size truck, it performs admirably off road, and It has stunning looks without being pretentious. I've been a Toyota/Lexus person for a long time and for whatever reason, I thought negatively of VW. After searching and searching for an SUV that has good gas milage, could tow , fits my outdoor lifestyle, and is a comfy fun everyday driving car; my search kept leading me to the Touareg. I tested it over and over again, compared it to every comparable vehicle in the market and I couldn't find a reason not buy this car. I get 575 miles on a tank of gas, it tows my airstream with ease, takes my buddies and I to Colorado for mountain bike trips in luxury, and It puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Its an absolutely joy to drive.

Best vehicle I have owned

Steve R, 06/21/2016
TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Like no other vehicle. There is no other vehicle period that can tow, handle, 4wd traction, and accelerate like this vehicle...and still get 30 mpg cruising at 70 mph down the highway. Fast. Quiet. Reliable. Incredible torque and towing ability. Very attractive...in and out. Crazy solid. Overbuilt. A Porsche Cayenne in plain clothes. As long as VW makes them...I will own one.

Love our Diesel (TDI) Touareg

Eric Lea, 01/07/2017
TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

The GREAT: For the most part this is an exceptional vehicle. The 3L Diesel is the best engine ever put in an SUV...we'll see following the recall. 30 MPG on the freeway; 28 MPG over and back a mountain pass; 700 mile range; what is not to like about that? My Touareg that tows nearly 8000 pounds gets better fuel economy then my brother-in-law's toy Forrester. The not so Great: For the price, it is fairly technologically behind the pack. None of the new generation of active safety features (lane keeping, radar cruise, auto breaking) are included. While there is a just fair quality back-up camera and a good interior display, there is absolutely nothing up front...no beep, beep sensors, nothing. Rather an oversight in a vehicle of this class. The interior is average, but nice. Exterior is boring, but a great wolf-in-sheep's-clothing. Every bit the value and capability of an ML350 Bluetec without the vandal-bait 3-point star. If you're looking to fly beneath the radar, this is your SUV. 2020 update—Still loving it. Maintenance is a little steep, but nothing outside the norm for European cars. Drove it from West Yellowstone to Portland, OR on a single tank of fuel (33 MPG/800 miles of range).

Solid as a Rock

hardware, 05/19/2020
V6 R-Line 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I drove a pickup truck for 25 years before getting tired of the bulk and getting a new 2014 Volvo S60 T6 that I had for six years and wanted something new. I looked at all types of cars and kept coming back to the Touareg. I looked for a month - test drove a number of TDI's but I wanted something with less miles - the TDI's were coming with VW warranties because of the diesel-gate issue but I couldn't find any with less than 60-70,000 miles on up. I found a 2014 VR6 R-Line in mint condition with 42,000 miles and I love it. The R-Line was only in the states for the 2014 model year - in both VR6 and TDI versions. People rave about the TDI's but I'm not a mechanic and right or wrong I just felt more comfortable buying the VR6. It has plenty of power. The only downside is it takes premium and with a 26 gallon tank - the extra half buck a gallon adds up. I love everything about it - performance - the quality of everything in the interior - huge panoramic sunroof, great stereo system and nav - everything just seems a step up and rock solid - handles great for an SUV and I think it's a really sharp vehicle. I don't envy anyone regardless of what they're driving when I'm in it. Try one - you'll love it.

Excellent car

Daniel Pineda, 09/07/2018
TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Best car I have owned in the past 10 years. It isn’t a rocket, but is quick enough to merge into the highway and get up to speed without a sweat. I never get tired of that shove in the back when it gets off from a stop. It tows very well, I find the driver’s seat very adjustable, best sitting position of all cars I’ve owned so far, very comfortable. The ONLY bad thing is that sadly, VW of America has discontinued it and I won’t be able to get a new one. We will probably drive it until it dies or until VW comes back to senses.

Very impressive package

wnm, 11/21/2013
V6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Just bought 2014 Sport with Nav two days ago after closely following Touareg's improvement for few years. Comparing with no less than 4 other SUV, we decided to take Touareg based on overall performance and its value. Certainly you can find few alternates which exceed Touareg in various areas, however Touareg impressed us with exceptional performance and overall value.

VW 3.0 TDI

Badduck, 04/17/2018
X Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

125000 miles of trouble-free ownership. Fantastic engine and transmission

Best value around

IowaTouareg, 08/06/2020
V6 Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Super refined and luxurious. Best value vs other luxury german suv brands. It hits the sweet spot of value for money and ability to make you feel special everytime you walk up to it. I also like that nobody really knows how nice it is because it is understated with the VW badge.

Best Diesel SUV

Dr. D, 01/14/2018
TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Unfortunately these cars are not available now thanks to “Dieselgate”. I highly recommend you buy one if you can get your hands on one. Zero troubles in over 3 years of ownership. 30 mpg Hwy!!! City driving about 24 mpg.

this is the one

patrick booher, 01/29/2018
V6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

this is the most user friendly car I've ever owned

5 out of 5 stars

LOVED my VW! 4th I've owned!!

Joe Blankenfeld, 10/31/2018
V6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is the 2nd Touareg (T) I've owned and the 4th VW. I love almost everything about VW. The affordable luxury, the clever, intuitive and practical technology as well as the sturdy nature of the vehicles build. The only things I would tweak are (and this may have been something specific to my 2014 T) the jumpy acceleration. When I pushed on the gas, my T had a tendency to lurch versus smoothly take off. Other than that, almost everything else was a joy.

Materials, fit and finish

Kevhere 14 R-Line, 02/08/2021
V6 R-Line 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've reached a point where build quality, materials used, fit and finish are much more important. Many of todays new vehicles are about size and qty. of the touch screens. The downside of these "big screens" and "car plays" and other electronics "trinkets" is cost cutting is painfully evident in many other very important areas. One is the seats. Unlike things like adaptive cruise control, seats are used every single time you get in the vehicle. The 3rd generation VW Touareg has outstanding seats. The vehicle I purchased, 2014 VW Touareg R-Line, not only has 12 way adjustable seats for driver and passenger, it's the size and shape of the seats, it's the quality of the leather used. These seats are some of the best "thrones" in any SUV at any price, new or used. Speaking of used, they also hold up very well. Go have a look at a late model GM SUV? Yukon Denali? any Chevy? Even the almighty Escalade, have a look at the seat cushion and seat cover after 40-50K? They are a joke. Cheap is an understatement on many of these vehicles. VW no longer offers the Touareg here in NA, they now have the car based Atlas. Crack the door open on one of those and compare the materials, fit and finish to a used Touareg and you will see what I mean. Like any vehicle, the Touareg has its weaknesses as well. They are more expensive to maintain than say a Jeep Grand Cherokee. If not properly maintained, they can cost a bundle to repair. These are highly capable vehicles with full time AWD. (4Motion in VW speak), as a result they are fairly heavy (about 4700#) and fuel economy suffers. Of course these were offered with an excellent 3.0L V6 diesel engine, which can (depending on usage) greatly improve fuel economy, but do your homework on fuel cost, cost to maintain, etc...see if it "works" for you? The other engine offered is a 3.6L V6. It has 280hp and in most situations it's more than acceptable, but a bit thirsty. When new, these vehicles came with a 10yrs. or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Many websites and even VW dealers have the powertrain warranty at 5yrs./60K?? That information is WRONG for the Touareg. Again, do your homework, check with VW of America directly. In summary, if you want a highly capable, well built, luxury SUV and your more interested in impressing yourself than the clueless masses, give the Touareg a look.

51050