2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Review: wind noise

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Review

Premium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

wind noise
By rondo320 on

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Do not buy this vehicle if you plan to drive on highways at 75 mph or above.
At that speed with a headwind or crosswind you will get a horrendous noise that seems to be coming from the headliner.
Listening to this for several hours on the highway will require you to reassess the wisdom of driving a Crosstrek on a road trip.
The dealer can't duplicate it because the speed limit in the vicinity is 65 mph and the noise is at 75 or above.
Thanks a lot Subaru! Nothing but Subarus since 1982 but that is going to change.

Exterior design is the best feature. It's an Impreza on steroids. The extra ground clearance is a must in deep snow. In the mountains of Colorado all wheel drive is a must.

After 6 hours the seats seem to be rocks. The only way to get 33 mpg on the highway is to drive below the speed limit and allow the passing vehicles to admire your Crosstrek.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By klb5
on 07/09/13 18:46 PM (PDT)

We have a 2013 Impreza and have the exact same issue. We shot a video but corporate said because it can't be duplicated, there is nothing they are willing to do. Are you taking further action?

By babs1955
on 09/01/13 09:10 AM (PDT)

May i suggest you slow down?

By ecomango
on 03/04/16 19:44 PM (PST)

I'm in Southern California and I bought my Subaru in May 2014, and I went to both Puente Hills Subaru and Timmons Subaru of Long Beach, both said they could not duplicate the noise I was hearing at 65 mph. Puente Hills even said that the noise is standard because they test drove a brand new one and the noise was still there, they put 65 miles on my car to try to duplicate the noise I was hearing. For my next oil change I took my car to Irvine Subaru and they found the problem! Even showed me where the triangle glass at the front passenger side moves when you try to move it compared to the front driver side, which didn't. Seems like a standard flaw to me. Here is what my warranty repair receipt said: OCTOBER 2015 WIND NOISE During Inspection found passenger front partition glass molding needs to be replaced. Replace Front Passenger Glass Molding C914413 .1 WA123 (They needed to order the part and would repair when it arrives, so I went back in November) NOVEMBER 2015 WIND NOISE Customer states to have wind noise coming from front passenger glass. During inspection verified customer's concern, found passenger side front quarter glass loose and needs to be replaced along with the molding. Replaced passenger side front quarter glass. Test drove vehicle and no more noise heard. B914411 .3 C914413 .1 WAE 27 QTY 1 FP Number 61012FJ400 Description Glass DR F P QTY 1 FP Number 61284FJ001 Description WSTR PARTITI Thanks to Irvine Subaru, I don't hear wind noise other than the usual expected road noise. I hope you get this or any molding/sealant around the windshield or glass checked out, seems that could be the problem! Try to see if that front passenger quarter glass moves when you use your whole hand palm to shake up and down, if it does, it's defective. Good luck!

By noah_early
on 09/30/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

If you have crossbars on your roof rack, try removing them and see if the wind noise goes away. I noticed wind noise on the interstate after I bought mine and a few minutes with the factory supplied torx wrench solved it. Not ideal, but it worked. Also, I think moving the mirrors down on the doors also creates a whistle on windy days. What is the speed limit around you? With cruise set at 74 on the parts of 81 that are now 70 MPH I average 35 MPG with my Crosstrek. As I noted in my review, check your speedometer against mile markers/GPS. Mine reads slow, which means it says you aren't going as far as you actually are, by nearly 2%. That might not seem like a lot, but that means your MPG is .6 better than the car calculates. Check your tire pressure and drive like a civil human being and this is one of the few cars on the market that can match or exceed its EPA ratings.

By quinsrugby1411
on 03/19/14 15:08 PM (PDT)

How can you give this car 3-1/2 Stars, i would expect a 1-2 star rating with a review like this...... klb5, the Crosstek is simply a lifted Hatchback Impreza Sport. I agree with Noah, try taking off the roof racks.

By wags24
on 08/02/13 07:36 AM (PDT)

Took my Xtrek from Chicago to Minnesota in July and had the exact same problem. The noise occured at 70-75 MPH and was a high pitched whine. Took it to the dealer and like your situation, they could not duplicate the problem keeping to the local speed limits of 65MPH. What further actions can we take?

By rondo320
on 08/20/14 16:47 PM (PDT)

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. I used to drive a Jeep CJ-5 with a soft top so I know wind noise. Those of you who have this noise know it's not typical wind noise. wags24 description of a high pitch whine starting at 70-75 is accurate. Think of a mosquito amplified 10 times next to your ear. I can change the tone but not get rid of it by pushing on the headliner behind the mirror. No crossbars just roof rails and I don't see anyway to tighten those. I'll ask the dealer how to remove them. 75 is the speed limit east of Denver into and through Nebraska. Speedometer is dead-on correct and the tires are checked once a week for inflation. The point is that at 55 the Crosstrek gets great gas mileage but at 75 especially with a headwind, gas mileage decreases dramatically even with the cruise on and driving "like a civil human being". West of Denver on short 2 hour trips with a speed limit of 65, the Crosstrek is a great car. It has superb handling on snow and ice. Hence the 3 1/2 star rating. It's just not a comfortable long haul trip vehicle especially with the mosquito noise in your ear. Subaru is well aware of the problem and it's probably an expensive fix otherwise they wouldn't fall back on the excuse of "can't duplicate it". The choices are either live with the noise or get rid of the car. I haven't decided yet.