Used 2010 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Xterra for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great driving SUV

Clobber, 06/13/2010

Replaced a 97 4Runner with a 2010 Xterra. Had my doubts initially, but after 3 months I am sold! I'm 6'5" and fit comfortably. Lots of cargo room. Great visibility, and really responsive steering. More fun to drive than the 4Runner was. At 178" it is easy to park and maneuver in tight surroundings. Smooth transmission, smooth ride, and quieter than I was expecting. Love the fact that the rear seats fold flat. No regrets.

Paved or not, this beats them all!

sailorman, 08/01/2010

We love our new Xterra. We have a Ford Escape and were going to get another one but after one drive in the Xterra we couldn't go back. I still grin when I have to load cargo into the massive trunk or crawl over rocks effortlessly. The huge windows all around offer a wonderful view and safer lane-changing. I spend the week commuting and this bulky SUV is surprisingly comfortable. On the weekends, it dominates off-road and I've never doubted if it could take me where I want to go. This is a great all-around vehicle for me and my growing family.

Great durability - light on design

Ensign, 06/06/2010

I have been buying Nissans since 1981 mostly for their engines. Generally they tend to be superior on durability but light on comfort and convenience. My Xterra is the first SUV I have owned. I bought the X model because I wanted a manual transmission but did not want to buy the more expensive off road. As usual the engine and transmission are excellent but poor design on comfort and convenience. I could not believe there is no side mirror control and no map light. No mirror or light in the visor. The storage compartments are poorly designed. These little things are not expensive but are very much appreciated by consumers. Nissan designers - get a clue!

Back to the X

X247, 12/01/2009

I had a 2003 xterra and after 2 years I trade for a Pathfinder, The X was underpowered. Now I'm back to the X, its an improvement to the older model and rides just as good the Pathfinder. For the money is a great SUV, LOADED which is nice. I went for an off road but the SE is what I found. I'm keeping it till it dies!

Great off road vehicle

jp, 12/09/2009

Great SUV. This Suv can handle any conditions. I love driving in the snow and the stability control is great. The ride is great in town and off road. It's a bit bumpy on the highway but accelerates great when passing. The arm rests are very poorly placed and you really have no where to put your arms. My gas mileage is horrible but the dealer says the engine is still breaking in. If anyone else has an off road, please tell me it actually gets 15mpg when it breaks in? I am getting like 13mpg city/highway right now. I am not sure if they tested the off road package accurately with the bigger tires? I wish they would do away with the plastic cargo area. It scratches and is worthless.

Not a daily driver

bill, 01/01/2010

When I purchased my off road x. I drove it around town and very little highway. Big mistake. It is not a highway or road trip vehicle. The stiff suspension is great in town and off road but you pay a price for a rough travel car. It's like riding a jack hammer. Like a jeep wrangler, it does poorly on the highway and at high speeds on the snow, it slips very easy! Not the best ski trip vehicle but great in town and off road.

A nice truck based SUV

Hoss, 01/28/2010

I did a lot of research before buying the Xterra, I looked a the FJ , the Wrangler, as well as some trucks. The X has the perfect blend of creature comforts and ruggedness. I traded an Audi for the X, and I do miss some of the luxury, but the X makes up for it in other ways. The gas mileage is OK, I get 13-15 in town, and 19-20 on the freeway. The seats are leather in the SE, but they are low grade leather and not heated. The stereo sound good, better than the Bose unit in my old Audi. Its very easy to see out of, and my kids think its great to sit up high. Im glad I bought the X, The Portable GPS is great, better than built in units.

A Four-Wheeled Swiss Army Knife

Paul, 03/05/2010

This is a great old-school SUV blending a sophisticated and smooth engine and transmission with an overbuilt frame (based on the frame used on the mammoth Nissan Titan pickup)and strong and straightforward suspension. Last week, my area was struck with a blizzard that left over 12" of snow on the ground, and the Xterra was virtually unstoppable. The ride is pretty firm, so drive before you buy, but if you want a solid, truly versatile all-weather vehicle large enough to handle 4 passengers and cargo, yet small enough to maneuver and park in an urban environment, look no further.

Very satisfied so far

Subadude, 04/24/2010

Had my SE for about a month now. My likes definitely outweigh my dislikes. Very powerful engine, getting good fuel economy 18 - 20 overall, but driving it easy in the break in period. Seats seem very comfortable, good support, wish they were heated. RF Sound system is awesome for stock. Surprisingly quiet even on rough pavement, but it does have a firm, choppy ride. It's not a car though, so I can live with that. Great no-nonsense SUV that will handle my towing chores, and get 5 skiers or backpackers where they need to go with all their stuff. Got one drive in the snow, and had no trouble blasting through a foot and a half of light powder.

Nice simple truck

Tyler, 05/20/2010

We have had the Xterra for 6 months now, and it has been great. It has great power for an SUV, and is pretty roomy inside for my family of 4. I get around 16 mpg in town, and around 20 on the freeway. I am 6'3" and have plenty of leg room. While it is plenty quiet on the pavement, when you get on a dirt or gravel road, the it resonates and is quite loud. I have the tow package, and have towed a small trailer once, it did great.

51050