Used 1999 Lexus RX 300 Consumer Reviews

Used RX 300 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...18

Pros
Cons

Fairly easy to work on

HomeMechanic, 04/08/2009
4dr SUV AWD

Purchased from a private owner with 135k, now 155k. RX3s can have some small known issues that can be fixed by a competent DIYer. Exhaust leak (have a friend with a welder?), O2 sensors (buy a $5 socket), clean the MAF (simple), spark plugs (a chore but not impossible), suspension noise (disassembling a strut is more than most ppl want to do on their own). Suggest changing the driveline fluids for insurance against trans issues. Consistent 19mpg which I think is fair- if you get less, have it checked out, or turn off 'power' mode! All in all, I think its a vehicle you can become familiar with & keep around for a long time. It's versatile, but not too big or obnoxious. My trusty daily driver.

Awesome

groverusty, 06/27/2009
4dr SUV AWD

Just bought this 99 RX300 valued at 10,000 plus for $5500.00 Had to put in valve cover gaskets, timing belt/water pump. This cost $1000.00 This is an awesome car. It is so quiet and fun to drive. Heated seats help our backs, and if I can keep my wife happy, then we are ALL happy. But seriously, I LOVE THIS CAR. The Pre-purchase inspection told us everything we needed to have done but even that mechanic said "If you don't want it, let me know because I do". AWESOME!

Best car ever built

Bixby503, 10/25/2009
4dr SUV AWD

I have had my RX300 since 2002. It now has 134k miles on it. This is the best car ever built in my opinion. I will not give it up ever, for any price. It is absolutely incredible on snow, ice and rain. It is very safe, drives great and rides even better. I also own an SC430, but I prefer the RX300 to it any day.

My 99 RX 300 Performance

chev769, 02/12/2008
4dr SUV

No major problems. 90,000 miles. Change oil EVERY 3,500 miles. Minor problems: one seat belt, mass air flow sensor, rear trunk latch (asked for fix from day one; it broke after 8 years); am radio poor. Biggest repair has been starter contacts. My wife would never have driven any other car nine years (and counting). Perfect for her, and for two old folks with children gone. I am trying to hold off till 2010 for the next one I MUST buy for my wife.

Smart Choice

Lexus guy, 03/08/2008
4dr SUV AWD

Downsized from an LS 430 and love both cars. Seats just as comfortable with just the right height and strong seat heaters. Good stereo/CD. Mileage ranges from 17-18 running errands to 23-24 on the flat highway. Great car for realtor/inspector and practical for bad weather, bad roads. Keep oil/trans fluids changed though. I switched to K&N filter and 0/30 Mobil-One oil and get 1-3 better MPG. Mine has 161,000 and looks/runs like new.

12345...18