Used 2013 Lexus ES 300h Consumer Reviews

Used ES 300h for Sale
Select your model:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

An Almost Great Car

bobblock1, 12/08/2016
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the best car I have owned; it is a delight to drive. I also tried the ES350, and although faster, the shifting annoyed me; I prefer the ES300h CVT transmission. The ES300h has 3 driving modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport, easily selected with a rotating dial on the center console. I usually drive in Normal mode. Eco mode has a bit less acceleration, but is fine to drive in. It supposedly gets better mileage, but I haven’t done a reasonable test to verify this. In Normal mode, my mileage varies with driving. Around town I’m getting about 34 mpg. On the freeway, I get 38. Sport mode makes a significant difference in handling. The car takes corners with much more confidence, and can be pushed into tight turns. It is not a sports car, but for a big sedan it corners very well. In Sport mode, the accelerator is much more responsive, quicker to react, with higher gearing. Still, maximum acceleration is limited to what the power plant can provide – 0-60 in under 8 seconds. The interior is luxurious, with all kinds of goodies to pamper you and keep you safe (I like the Blind Spot Monitor and Cross Traffic warning while backing up). Very satisfying to sit in. Now to my complaint, and it is a big one. A few years back, Lexus decided to go to a mouse-based interface to the Navigation screen instead of a touch screen. The interface is used for navigation, the radio and other media players, and the phone. I also own a 2008 RX400h, with the touch-screen interface. It works fine, and is easy to use. The mouse-based interface makes use of navigation, the radio, and the phone significantly more difficult. It requires you to look at the screen longer, and takes more concentration to position the mouse. During my first month or two driving this car, I found it very distracting to use, resulting in less attention paid to driving the car – dangerous. I’ve now figured out a safer way to use it, but the interface still takes more effort and clicks. Someone in Lexus user interface design is brain-dead. Phone Use: To make a call on my RX, I push a button on the steering wheel, speed dials appear on the screen, I touch the one I want, and the call goes through. On this car, it takes the steering wheel button, and then 2 carefully placed mouse clicks to place the call. Too risky while driving, so I use the voice recognition system. Voice recognition will dial anyone in my contacts list, but needs to understand me. It puts the entry on the screen and says the name. Then I say: “dial” to place the call. Workable if I know the correct names in my contact list. Radio: There are no longer physical push button presets – just the on/off-volume knob and the tuner knob. All presets are electronic on a Radio screen. The easiest way to reach the Radio screens is by pushing a physical Radio button on the dashboard just above the gear shift lever. Then you get 6 screens, 6 presets per screen, with a physical scroll button behind the shift lever or mouse clicked arrows on the screen to move between preset screens. You can scroll through the presets with a lever on the steering wheel or mouse-click them . Again, using the mouse while driving is tricky, but the scroll button works reasonably well, except that you must replace the Nav map with the Radio screen while doing this. If you want the map to stay on the screen, you need to stay with the Map screen and remember the order of your presets while using the lever. Navigation: You can set a destination while driving using voice recognition. The only one I’ve tried is Go Home. This works. You can also speak an address into the system with voice commands – not while driving: City, Street, then Number (speaking single digits). This is easier than mouse-clicking the address into the keyboard. My RX has 6 preset destinations I can get to with 2 touches while driving, and allows me to touch type an address onto the keyboard. The ES system is not as easy. Oddly, and annoyingly, there are no “Pause Guidance” and “Resume Guidance” voice commands. I use these or the touch equivalent on my other cars to get my Nav system to shut up when I don’t want to hear it during the journey (like when stopping for gas or lunch). I’m still learning, so there may be shortcuts I can use to simplify this interface, but it is inferior to what Lexus used to use and what Toyota still uses. I can’t explain why they have done this.

Love Everything, EXCEPT...

murphy50, 12/16/2013
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ok, everything is great, except the darn front seats. The front seat cushion side bolsters dig into my hips and thighs. It gets annoying and makes me want to dump the car. Last years model had fantastic seats for the butt. I am not fat - in fact I am skinny and tall, and in my early 40's. If you have a slightly larger than average butt, you better sit in this awhile. I do not like it and mad that I have to "get used to it" I want everyone to know that this is something to look at, and what I consider a design mistake

Not as quiet as ES model

fsb123, 01/09/2014
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my car in September 2013,traded in my 2007 ES350. First thing I noticed is a strong thumping noise when you start the car and put it in reverse when backing out of the driveway. The same thumping noise is repeated when the car is in idle like when waiting for the traffic light to change like the battery is switching to gas. I usually drive the car on ECO mode but I have never reached the 39 to 40 mpg advertised, my car is only averaging 30 mpg and on a average speed of only 29mph. I have the parchment interior which get dirty in no time. Interior amenities not as generous as the older ES350. Overall the car is satisfactory but not worth the premium price over the ES350.

Baby on board

einstone, 11/16/2013
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent car, i upgraded from BMW. My wife has to ride with our baby in the back, and the leg space is really incredible i trade with her some times too and love it but roof could be a bit higher for long torso man that i am. we also had an 08 Xterra SUV and ES has way more leg space in the back! MPG 32 city (we live in a up and down area) combined is 35.5 and on a freeway close to 40 that is with all 5 seats occupied and trunk full of Costco goods, 15 gal fuel (91 premium).

Great Car with Disappointing MPG

max55fisher, 05/14/2013
4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I find the car a joy to ride in and drive. The seats are especially supportive and comfortable and long road trips are a pleasure. The ride is smooth, the acceleration is powerful and makes merging with traffic, under any condition, a breeze. The cabin is very quite and there's plenty of room both front and rear. We are a bit disappointed with the mileage we've been getting, though. The car computer calculation differs by about 7-10% from what I calculate. We've been averaging 37-38 mpg for mixed city/highway driving. We were expecting better! Overall we thing it's a great car and we'd buy it again.

12345...7