Used 2005 Isuzu Ascender Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Isuzu Ascender Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ascender model:

Decent transportation at best
By Greg Cook

2005 Isuzu Ascender S 5-Passenger Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Have put only 4300 miles on it in 17 months. One coil pack, thermostat, code P0014 which is camshaft positioning sensor---not replaced, and now transmission shot. Good exterior, tan seats and door panels, black carpet and dash, gray headliner. Frankstein. Daily towing of a 5x8 cargo trailer total about 1400#. Never know trailer back there. Does seem a little harsh with mild bumps. Mileage SUX! Local driving only with mixed using trailer or not... 11.8 MPG

Love my Assender S 4x4.
By JOHN TROKA

2005 Isuzu Ascender S 5-Passenger 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Isuzu Ascender for 11 years now and the only thing that went wrong is the gas gauge stopped working and the speakers on the passenger side stopped working that's it, rides great , quiet ride, good gas mileage 17/25 , pull's trailers great, so far so good, and love the 4x4, 139,000 and running great, running synthetic oil I feel is the best because it doesn't break down keep's it lubricity.

Lots of electrical probs starting at approx 80,000mi. Listed in order of failure: check engine light came on 'thermostat', speedometer, fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge at 105,000mi.
By mysuzuki

2005 Isuzu Ascender Luxury 5-Passenger 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Dealer where I purchased the vehicle said none of the probs were covered under warranty because of the mileage. I called Isuzu corporate office and they said there is a "policy extension" on the fuel gauge to 120,000mi. The policy extension has a 'campaign number issued for it. " SB 13-04-S004 (fuel sensor).They referred me to another dealer who has ordered the part for the fuel gauge. However, they say the 'instrument cluster" needs to be replaced and it is not certain that the fuel gauge will work unless it is replaced and some or all of the probs may or may not work unless the instrument cluster is replaced.
Footnote: A linkage part in the transmission shifted broke at approx 100,000mi

I also have had issues with the a/c system since right after the warranty ran out. Not much good I can say about this vehicle at this time. It is the same vehicle as a Chevrolet Trailblazer. Had I know it was a GM product, I would never have bought it. I will never buy another one unless I know who manufactured it. Trailblazers have the same probs as mine.

Great Buy
By Gail ETaylor

2005 Isuzu Ascender LS 5-Passenger Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Asscender. I love them its very dependable I have had this one soon to by 5 years other than regular maintenance only one shop repair has occurred in 5 years. This is the best SUV I have owned. I would recommend it to anyone.

I love the way the it drives and handles Its able to go almost any where on snow or ice with little or no trouble. Thanks For making such a great car.

I would like to see my onstar work as it shows on TV. Onstar has left me stranded twice both times with flat tires.

Still love my Ascender after 5 years!
By FLAscenderDriver

2005 Isuzu Ascender LS 5-Passenger Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

After 5 years and nearly 60K miles, I still love my Ascender. It looks good, tracks well, doesn't slide around on wet roads, is comfortable, and has plenty of power when needed for towing a trailer or just passing other vehicles. I love the Bose system stereo and 6 disc changer, the woodgrain dash and steering wheel, leather interior, and especially the dual seat heaters on colder evenings! It's been a reliable vehicle with only general maintenance/tire upkeep, and had to replace the shocks this Spring. Well made and comfy, just wish it got better mpg when gas was so pricey.

Bose stereo, seat adjustments & lumbar, plenty of passing/towing power, lots of room, stability, seat heater

Mine had the auto. mirror adjusters - saw someone else's didn't. Wish the 5-seater had option for the computer screen showing mpg, GPS, etc. Was only in the 7-psgr vehicle at the time.