List Price Range

Used Sonata Hybrid for Sale
Select your model:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Unsafe when accelerating, low MPG, brakes shudder

Bill B, 12/29/2015
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

When I step down somewhat forcefully - but not necessarily to the floor - on the gas pedal, there is 1-2+ second hesitation or delay in acceleration or power, or what I call a “dead spot,” before there is any noticeable pickup. Basically, this Hybrid just “coasts” at its current speed for these 1-2+ seconds before any noticeable pickup is felt. Very dangerous situation, if you ask me. This occurs every time and it doesn’t matter if it’s from a dead stop or if I’m traveling at 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. MPH & depress the accelerator pedal - either somewhat forcefully or to the floor – the car just coasts at its current speed for about 1-2+ seconds before any noticeable acceleration is felt. I find this to be a VERY DANGEROUS and UNSAFE situation, especially when trying to get out of a tight spot in traffic, merge into fast moving traffic on the Thruway, pass someone, etc. It appears that the onboard computers are trying to figure out what do to before the engine and/or motor kicks in. Also, when braking normally, car “shudders” at times; brakes lock up or grab suddenly or don’t grab enough. Additionally, at other times, when brake pedal is NOT even depressed, there’s a feeling the car is slowing down and/or there’s a thumping sound. Very strange happenings on this Hybrid for I never had it on my non-hybrid 2008 Sonata. : Another major problem with this Hybrid is the shortfall in Hyundai’s advertised gas mileage numbers, which was another big reason I bought this car. This 2015 Sonata Hybrid Limited was advertised to give me and others 36 MPG City/40 MPG Highway/37 MPG Combined. I won’t go into trying to parse the City or Highway MPG but I should by now, on my 6th tank of gas, get at least the 37 MPG Combined value. However, my average for 12,569 miles (5/28/15--12/31/17) was only 30 MPG or 7 MPG LESS (or 18%) then Hyundai advertised I would get. Hyundai got fined/penalized for over $750 million a few years ago for overstating their MPG estimates, Hyundai didn’t either care, learn their lessons or made so much in profits that the $750 million was just a “cost of doing business.” For shame, Hyundai. You let me down...and let down many others down too. This will be my last Hyundai. I just hope I survive and not get killed when I try to get out of a tight spot. BB

Hybrid waste of money

ND Hosford, 02/17/2018
4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

There is a reason why the hybrid cost the same to buy as a non- hybrid would have been. I had expected the get mileage in the low 40s or high 30s but we have never had a tank full over 32 mpg. I have read a lot of complaints about braking drive-ability but haven't found any but poor mileage instead. As an engineer, I appreciate the difficulty of smoothly integrating electric and mechanical braking and apparently Hyundai has not solved the problem. They seem to have avoided problems by mostly disabling regenerative braking by keeping the battery mostly charged at high speeds so the regenerative breaking is limited by the lack of available energy storage capacity. The result is a system that minimizes law suits and warranty battery replacements. Great for Hyundai to meet government hybrid requirements but I feel used and unlikely to buy another Hyundai - certainly not another hybrid until I am sure they have solved the engineering problems.

READ THIS YOU WONT BE SORRY , LEARN HOW TO DRIVE

STEPHEN, 12/29/2016
4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

after reading other reviews i started laughing , yes the car has a delay when you suddenly demand fully acceleration ( so does every turbo car in the world ) LOL GET USED TO IT LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE , THE SHORT STORY AFTER OWNING THE CAR FOR OVER A YEAR , " I LOVE MY CAR ! PERIOD , I set the cruse at 62 mph and got 52.7 mpg in a 200 mile hwy test , the average mpg is 30-35 , pretty great for a large car that rides and feels as secure as a car can be ....it is not a hot rod but it holds the road great , so far no problems at all so far at 30k miles , on a side note its a base model and we got $7500 off the sticker , so I'm am NOT complaining about spending $33.000 like some other idiots we paid $20500 for a brand new car , if you have 33k to spend go buy a bmw or something that does go when you demand a rapid throttle response , any way i have NOTHING AT ALL BAD TO SAY ABOUT THIS CAR , if you buy a used one for 15k you are not stupid , p.s. get a extended warranty . I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT HYUNDAI DOES IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS

Take it from the owner of 2 Sonata Hyb - Dont Buy!

DontBuyIt, 03/01/2016
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I should start by saying I had a 2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited that had serious acceleration hesitation problems, and I was nearly killed twice on our Southern California Freeways. As many others have complained (and Hyundai couldn't care less) these Hybrids are dangerous to be driving. After I wouldn't drive it anymore, and sent Hyundai corporate my rental car bills they finally and I mean it was like pulling teeth to get them to examine the car and agree to replace it. So now I have had the 2015 Limited for about 9 months, and it is much better than the 2013 especially with the hesitation malfunction. I am now convinced that Hyundai redesigned the transmission linkage to the driveshaft because believe it or not 2015 drivers, this model year is much better than before. The mileage is still a marketing hoax - I get about 35mpg overall. But here is the biggest reason of all to avoid this car...the jaw dropping depreciation!! This car is only worth $19,000 at carmax, and a Hyundai dealer! It cost $33,000 9 months ago. Even my additional Gap coverage with my auto insurance company will not cover a total loss (and that is 25% over the vehicles cash value!) I was switching my Auto Insurance this month from Mercury and the new Agent at AAA said we do not offer Gap Coverage, and on your car --- you will need it. In fact he said I cannot ethically recommend that you switch your auto insurance because of the massive depreciation in the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. So I guess that about sums it up...even with over $10,000 in electric rebates in California I STILL cannot get out of the Sonata Hybrid even with over $5,000 down! Obviously no car is an investment (unless its a 2005 Accord lol) but c'mon even Hyundai Dealers won't touch a used Sonata Hybrid trade-on because they know first hand it collect dust on thier lot for months before it gets shipped off to auction.

Low Seats - Hard to get out and get out

John, 08/18/2015
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My initial impression of this car. 1. The miles that were promised did not reach upto my expectation, but slowly after 3 months I started seeing the benefits of it. 2. The seats are too low as the body is also very low. I myself when getting out or getting in you have to struggle. My elderly parents had a difficult time getting out with the height of the car. I still struggle when I drive or when I sit as a passenger. Otherwise, so far it is good. I am going to take it for a long drive of 1000 miles labor day weekend to South Dakota, and I am going to see how it is going to do as well as what is the mileage it is going to give on highway. Other than the one main thing I described here, I feel everything is good.

12345...7