Used 2004 GMC Envoy XUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Envoy XUV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

It's a LEMON!

newfnlab, 01/06/2012
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new (very expensive). I have replaced over $1000 in rear door latches, obviously a defect,they only warrant 1 yr or 20K km, what does km have to do with a latch. GM head office doesn't like to return phone calls.. I finally spoke to her again & their decision was "your on your own". I have replaced the transfer case 1 1/2 yrs ago, now I have to replace the motor in it.Stranded again when gear shifter broke (it's plastic) go figure. No speadometer for over a year now (called cluster) would cost over $1000, neither heated seats work. My list goes on. I take care of my vehicles but this is ridiculous. GM does NOT stand behind their products. I will NEVER own another one.

Smart Idea - Poor repair record

Faith, 08/12/2015
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The SUV that literally turns into a pickup is a great idea. Being able to lay a full sheet of drywall or plywood flat in the rear cargo area is another great design. My issue with the vehicle is all the repairs that have had to happen and I barely have break in mileage on the vehicle at 78,000. I've had to replace the thermostat; it's had 3 sets of tires; the front and rear sway bar links have been replaced; when I am sitting at a stop, the speedometer reads as high as 40 (this number varies at different times). Other instrument panel gauges often show the wrong information. And last but not least, I am now experiencing issues with the transmission. I've owned other GM vehicles and this has been my least favorite experience as far as repairs. I like the vehicle overall. I just don't thing I should have so many repair bills for 78,000 miles. I did have to replace the transmission ($2,900). I also had to have the instrument panel overhauled ($200). In addition, the midgate window regulator had to be replaced because one day it went down and wouldn't go back up. The vehicle recently turned 95,000 miles and finally seems to be in good working order. We'll see! Recent repair (08/2020) was a cracked fuel tank.It now has 106,000 miles.

2004 Envoy XUV SLT

chris2004envoy, 11/23/2012
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 6 years now, use it to tow skidoos in the winter, hauled just about everything in the back, drywall, garden supplies, wood, fridges, an oven etc. It now has 160,000 km on it and has suffered what I would consider less than average issues. Common problems for all Envoy models are the front bearings, instrument cluster and the inline 6 has a fairly light duty exhaust manifold which in my case cracked. The good news is the parts are easy to buy aftermarket replacements and I replaced the bearings myself. I found a guy who replaced all the faulty motors in the cluster too for 200$ cash and the exhaust manifold was 1000 dollar fix. Not bad for 9 years +

XUV is the place to be

Baldbcool, 05/08/2004
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I really love my XUV. I went looking at the Durangos, Trailblazers and Volvos. The interiors were all cheesy. As soon as I say in the XUV I was hooked. The leather heated seats keep you warm and wrap around you. The retractable roof is a plus since I traded in my Ram for it. The V6 is powerful enough for what I need. The only negative is my own fault. I bought a black one and black is no fun to keep clean. But when its clean its the baddest looking SUV on the street.

All the best

jerryreliable, 01/05/2013
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Aw shucks, 98,000 miles, and I had to put brake pads on it. Other than oil changes and one set of tires, that is is for maintenance. Still like the car as new, and a pickup truck it is indeed. Tows 27' boats, hauls plywood, and 12 foot planks, Yanmar diesels, you name it. And it still looks terrific.

Certainly not the best car i have ever owned

socaldude3, 07/31/2011
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 envoy xuv v8, its now on its 3rd transmission (work done at gm) 2nd engine (from gm), the tailgate regulator has broken 3 times and been replaced because it locks us out of the trunk, the mid-gate regulator is currently broken, it has always had some mysterious shake at idle, gm told us that was just part of the car. The speedometer has been stuck at 120mph for the past year, the drivers seat (power) only works sometimes. and its only got 100k miles, it does have one of the best rides i have ever seen, and the 5.3 v8 does have great power.. I take good care of it, but since iv owned this, I can see why they stopped making them. after this, i doubt il buy another gm

Exactly What I Wanted!

DRS, 08/12/2006
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I got the XUV to have a new vehicle to drive to my son's college graduation in May 2004. We fell in love with it during the trip. We had 3 rather large adults for the 1000 mile trip out to the college and we all were amazingly comfortable. After 3+ years the automobile continues to please the family. I have had it back to the dealership only for the recommended service at 6000 and 12000 miles. The OnStar phone has become a necessity. Beware the phone on my OnStar uses analog technology and will need to be upgraded to digital by 2008. This "conversion" costs about $400, but gets you OnStar telephone service for 3 years, which appears to be a good deal if you are going to use it.

Sweat Ride

donna f, 07/13/2009
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. She rides like a cadillac and handles very well on both the highway and the back road hills. Gas millage is ok I guess for a SUV but making a sacrafice for comfort is well worth it.

Lemon?

Peggy, 08/05/2010
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Envoy XUV new in 2003. Just when the warranty ran out, we began to have electrical problems. Can't remember what it was that was replaced but it was pricey. A year later, same exact thing. We've been able to get by, since then, by carrying a battery charger with us. If the system shuts down, we're stranded. Yesterday, the battery would not charge and we were towed to the dealer, again! We've always had Hondas and have never had any problems whatsoever. My husband was reluctant to buy a GMC product. Only reason we bought this was because of the sliding roof feature, which we've only used once or twice in 6 years. We'll stick with Hondas next time.

love my xuv

Tonya, 02/27/2016
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my xuv for 2 years and I absolutely love it !!! Love the retractable roof and love that everything happens at a touch of a few buttons !

Ed's Envoy

Edward Goss, 09/20/2016
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Envoy. Bought it new for my company vehicle. Retired and moved to Florida. Took my Envoy with me. Expenses have been minimal to own

Versatility to the MAX!

outdoorsman3, 01/31/2015
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my XUV for nearly 2 years and I am very impressed. Very versatile vehicle. It allows me to travel comfortably, tow moderate weight trailers and boats, The conversion to Pick-up function has proved to be extremely useful. Highly recommend for any driver who needs an SUV but really wants a truck.

A real SUV

parker, 12/28/2008
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Have used this vehicle like a truck, hauling appliances, furniture easy with the retractable roof. Perfect for taking the dog with mid window and can rinse out the back area. Looks like a SUV and behaves like a truck. Also with sunroof open ,roof open and windows down looks like a beach mobile.

The best of both

martin, 07/27/2009
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Who doesn't wanted all. Well now you can, The luxury of an suv, smooth ride comfortable,roomy, handles more like a big car than an suv, and the versitilty of a truck. Knowing the whole time with a flip of a couple of switches, your not limited where you go based on what vehiclbe your driving. In the Xuv pick up your Tv, furniture,apliances,without any problems. True story bought washer and dryer told the guy I was in the blue suv he got a little upset and explain that they only load if it fits the vehicle. I told him it will. He mumbled thinking he would have to d-box the items and squeeze them in. When I open the roof, drop the tail gate he's words "nice, I would have never guessed that"

XUV Truck or SUV?

Joe, 12/13/2009
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The Envoy XUV is a Truck, SUV and Luxury car all in one. It is very dependable, but I did have a few issues that happened. The rear Gate door handle will probably give you a problem, also in winter the door will freeze up. The 4X4 service light has just came on on mine at 66,000 miles. Do not know what is wrong with it yet. It is a good truck for long trips, Vacations and picking up supplies and items. I like the style of the body, and the way it handles the road. It gets pretty good gas mileage for it's size. The V6 has plenty of power, and you feel really safe in it.

Don't buy, bad instrument cluster!

JAMFRETE, 03/08/2010
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

GMC has a known instrument cluster problem whereas all gauges stop working, the speedometer does not register correctly, but GM will not perform a recall even though it is a factory defect. $500 to $1000 to fix the problem out of the consumers pocket. GM should be ashamed of themselves! Never again!

Envoy XUV - ALMOST PERFECT

Tim C, 01/06/2005
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We were going to buy a Nissan Murano but after test driving the XUV we went with it. The best thing about this vehicle is the retractable roof and it offers a SMOOTH ride, something we didn't expect. This vehicle compared to the Murano wins hands down. The price is pretty reasonable for this vehicle. The blind spots is what keeps this vehicle from being perfect. Its very hard to see out the back and even harder to see small cars but even with this flaw its still a great vehicle.

Envoy XUV - The NEW KING of the Road!

PhilipJohn52, 12/20/2003
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle rides like a luxury car but hauls better than a pickup, with the ability to haul an enclosed load or an open, tall load...true versatility. The durability of the rear bumper cover is questionable, and useful life of all the motors/switches used to power the retractable roof and cargo-area windows is yet to be determined. Only time will tell, but if the watertightness of the roof seals and the overall quietness of the passenger cabin are any indications, GMC has delivered a real winner! If your kids are grown and you don't need to haul the entire soccer team to practice and a five- passenger capability is sufficient, then this SUV is for you!

Did not want a truck...

Casper04, 01/08/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The XUV is great. It hauls all my DJ equioment perfectly. Plus, everything is sealed off from the weather & secure.

Best truck I have owned

Mondoro, 12/28/2006
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a 2005 with all the bells and whistles and loved it. My son totaled it and walked away without a scratch on him. I was only able to find a 2004 to replace it that had some of the options I wanted. Would not have been satisfied with another truck style. Everything else I even remotely liked was over $50,000. One terriffic truck to own and drive. By the way the 2004 has a V8 that gets better milage then the six in the 2005.

Love it

nikkole, 05/05/2008
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck because I own a couple of properties and I have to occasionally lug around doors and things. So this truck isnt my everyday car but I love driving it. It is so comfy and I love the design with the fold down seats and the roll off roof. I already moved a huge cabinet and it was perfect for the job! Its also a great "dog" truck. I have 3 dogs and love to take them for drives. I havent rinsed out the back cargo area yet but I was told that was an option. You can't fit seven people but when do you drive 7 people around? Its great for people who want the utility of a pickup truck but want the "wholeness" of an SUV. I love it!

Very Nice SUV

rwedens, 02/22/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is the quitest SUV I have ever driven. Even with the rear glass down and the roof retracted there was no increase in road noise. The ride is a little soft but it takes bumps and pot holes very well. I had no trouble picking up a new dryer in it's box. Just retracted the roof and instant pickup bed. The straight six with 225 HP has plenty of power. Make sure you get the optional Driver Information System with steering wheel controls. I got 16 MPG on my third tank of gas (in 2WD HI range).

OK vehicle, but would not buy again.

heatherc, 07/27/2010
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the XUV because it was very unique and fit our needs at the time. It was great at first, but over the past few years has had many issues. The midgate glass window shattered when raising it one time. The reargate window motor has broken twice in the past 3 years and gets stuck down (and then you can't open the rear door.) The rear door "sensor" has malfunctioned a few times where it takes me about 5 minutes of messing around with it to get the door open. And the instrument cluster is bad (according to the dealership). My speedometer and oil pressure gauges don't work. Currently debating whether to spend $1000 to get it "fixed" or buy a different vehicle.

What a great ideal of an open cargo roof

r.brown, 08/11/2005
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great all around SUV. I needed a pickup truck to haul things every now and then. So the XUV fit the bill, almost to a T. The only problem is you need to leave the tailgate down when hauling 8ft. drywall. But it's a great vehile. I recently, sold it because, I have Range Rover as my daily SUV and I have a pickup how to haul 8ft. stuff. If the Yuhon XL was avaliabe in an XUV, I would have one.

New XUV

Dublinvet, 12/27/2003
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

A unique SUV. A must look-see if you need a vehicle to haul large items occasionall, but have the utility to convert solely to an enclosed SUV.

The New XUV

MomNugent, 01/10/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love my new XUV, it drives like a car but gives you the security and flexibility of a truck.

Great XUV

David Canfield, 01/12/2004
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a beautiful vehicle, great for use as a pickup, or a luxury car, should be more placed in dealers show rooms. I waited a long time to find a vehicle that could be every thing for the people that live in the country. David Canfield

2004 ENVOY XUV

jpjos, 01/13/2004
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

What an idea. Combining the luxury and comfort of a fine car,with the versatilty of a truck.I love the ride and GM seems to have covered all of the bases with the different options of haulinf.

What a Hot Vehicle

Drail, 01/13/2004
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Got it 2 days ago and WOW...thats how it feels WOW and the comments I am getting from friends and strangers are excatly the same! Drives smooth and rides as well. have the Magnetic Red Metallic, what a beautiful RED.. Drives and handles very well, nothing sluggish about it and rides like a luxary car but has that truck feel. Very little noise with the roof open and back window down, offers that fresh air, very good.

New Revolution

rohlerme, 01/16/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great choice in cross-over SUV/Pick up truck. Ride comfort is sedan like while versitlity is 4 vehicles in one.

04' GMC Envoy XUV

Steve David, 01/15/2004
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding ride quality unless you'll be off road, in which event it might feel too soft. Excellent fit and finish, and great useability with rear roof retraction. Everything you want a truck for (I traded an 02' Ranger XLT) and everything you want an SUV for (Use to own Suburbans and Explorers), both in the same vehicle.

MY BEST CAR EVER

DAVIS, 01/22/2004
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

THIS SUV IS THE BEST THING EVER FOR MY WIFE AND I! THE NEXT DAY AFTER WE BOUGHT THE XUV WE HAULED NEW SOFA TO MY DAUGHTERS HOUSE. I BOUGHT A CARGO MAT FOR THE REAR TO COVER THE LINER WHICH IS REALLY GREAT. THIS VEHICLE RIDES LIKE FLOATING ON AIR AND HAS EVERY GAGET YOU CAN GET ON A CAR. FOR MY FAMILY IT IS PERFECT! THANKS- PS MY XUV IS A V8 ENGINE NOT ON YOUR SELECT LIST!!

Versatile and styling

Sherpaknows, 01/22/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Had the XUV in the mountains during some huge snowstorms and it has been great; also the wet area in the retractable back is great for ski gear and snow/wet stuff. Very comfortable interior and well laid out. Materials around instruments could be higher grade and design versus modern, cheap plastic - in the pewter interior does not show up as much - no big deal

gmc envoy xuv

a.moore, 02/11/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

only complaint so far is lack of front cup holders, only has one. I knew when I bought it, that the gas mileage was not all that great. I have always had pickups, so I didn't expect any great change in the mileage.

First Truck

Wadefs, 02/13/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Research everything in and out of its class, and this beat them all. Has everything I could want without being overblown, its userfriendly and functional in all aspects.

A fun car

nyceddie, 02/17/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second car, it is my very first NEW car........ i did a lot of reseach and found this one. I know what i wanted and i got it. It is everything I was going for and more.

Envoy XUV 2wl.drive V8 SLT

William G., 02/23/2004
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2003 silverado SLT for this much more practical vehicle.This XUV works for me,from gardening around the house to rolling down the highway it's a great ride.This is the best idea to come along in a long time.

Brand New

JGT, 02/23/2004

only 2000 miles on it but seems to working great

Love my XUV

GMCXUV1, 02/23/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The XUV answers my long-held need for a vehicle that I could use to haul gardening supplies without having to worry about messing up the carpeted interior of a nice SUV. Add to that the cargo space for tall items, the comfortable seating for 5 adults and the smooth ride of the XUV and I could not be happier.

chrisbo, 02/27/2004
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is very practical for home improvement addicts. It carries everything you will need for remodeling. It is easy to clean out the back with a hose. Much more comfortable than our former Ford Explorer. The handling and steering is excellent. I don't know what the review that said it was spongey. You want spongey, drive my old Ford Explorer. The turning radius isn't great when making those u-turns for garage sales, though. Also, mileage is averaging 13 MPH town and 16 MPH road, not that great. A problem with visibility out the back window, it's a bit too high to see those little cars behind you.

Very COOL SUV

mblthebest, 03/01/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Ride is very comfortable, handles pot holes well. Very well appointed/ loaded vehicle, all the creature comforts you will ever want or need. With sunroof, midgate window, backdoor window & roof open, it feels like a pseudo convertible. Trunk door is ingeneuous. An engineering masterpiece. The flexibility is fantastic. The shape is similar to an ACURA MDX (at quick glance) which is a simple & pleasing shape. Very balanced in terms of its masculinity and feminine design appeal/ image. Nice color selection. Since it's still winter here in NY, We have not tried washing the trunk yet.

Definitely A Vehicle Worth Having

dsharone, 03/31/2004
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my XUV in March 2004 and I have not been disappointed as of yet. GMC did a great job on designing this SUV (XUV). The roof retracts flawlessly. The ride is cushiony; handles bumps and potholes like the more expensive vehicles. My truck has the 1SB package (Onstar, built-in phone, heated mirrors, etc.)but even without all that the vehicle would be an excellent choice, because it comes standard with goodies. I have not regretted my decision in the least. The midglass that separates the cargo area is a wonderful addition. All I can say is, get it before GMC realizes the goldmine that they have and raises the price.

My XUV

jlycos, 04/15/2004

Buy one they are great

NewXUVowner

NewXUVowner, 04/27/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

So sum it up, I love this vehicle. I have had it for a few weeks and everyone wants to see it. I traded in a Durango for one and I'm not looking back. Great utility. I am able to haul everything I need. There are a few things I mis from my Durango. Cup holders suck, too small. Speakers is lower model suck. Biggest problem I have with the vehicle is getting the wife not to take it.

My dream SUV, errrr XUV

Puppypaws12, 05/01/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This truck drives like a luxury car. The 5300 Vortec V8 engine gets me into freeway traffic easily. I love the retractable roof and the power midgate. It's a manual fold-down, but it has a piece of glass in it - like those in a limo - best thing for pet owners. I'm REALLY satisfied with the customer service I'm getting from GMC and the dealership. They have gone out of their way to help me with after- purchase issues. I would buy another GMC product in a heartbeat.

Nice trade off from a truck

MGlasscoe, 05/11/2004
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My experience with Envoy XUV has been nothing but positive from what use I have for it. Its V8 power is untouchable for a vehicle of it class. If GM continue with this pattern of car design and build the upside looks very good. Also you should include the V8 in your lineup of XUV to comment on in the next segment.

ENVOY XUV

CGP, 05/12/2004
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the ENVOY XUV 2WD SLE in April. BRAVO to GMC for coming up with a truck/suv design that is bar none. My husband and I had been looking for a vehicle that would serve our need to have the functionality of a truck and a suv for years.

execellent cross over utility vehicle

zro, 05/13/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i did not find the handling spongy at all, it handle very well yes the cross winds did effect it a little to be expected since it is large. the ride was just excellant. everything inside was easy for myself and passenger to find and use. i had enormous power with the v8, also had good gas milage considering the the weight and size about 20 mph to gal. highway. the capabilites of this vehicle are great i can seat 5 very comfortable great leg and head room. stereo and speakers very good, standard 1sb interior.load leveling supension was great too. it was and is fun to drive. want lugage room this xuv has it and a lot more.

Xuv fun to drive.....

t.g., 05/17/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We had a Safari van that we traded in for this vehicle. Children have grown up and we wanted to have a fun vehicle to drive. This is it. Drives like a cadillac, yet capable to haul and tow like our pickup, truly awesome..........Thank you G.M. for a great design.

Dogs love XUV's!!

GMC70, 06/01/2004
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Truly a unique design that could have been done a long time ago. Thanks GM for having the guts to bring a truck like this to market. So far it has execeeded my expectations. The doors close with a solid thunk, the engine is silent at idle (next to silent at crusing speed), and the engineering is first rate.

51050