Used 2004 GMC Envoy XUV Consumer Reviews

Used Envoy XUV for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

It's a LEMON!

newfnlab, 01/06/2012
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new (very expensive). I have replaced over $1000 in rear door latches, obviously a defect,they only warrant 1 yr or 20K km, what does km have to do with a latch. GM head office doesn't like to return phone calls.. I finally spoke to her again & their decision was "your on your own". I have replaced the transfer case 1 1/2 yrs ago, now I have to replace the motor in it.Stranded again when gear shifter broke (it's plastic) go figure. No speadometer for over a year now (called cluster) would cost over $1000, neither heated seats work. My list goes on. I take care of my vehicles but this is ridiculous. GM does NOT stand behind their products. I will NEVER own another one.

Smart Idea - Poor repair record

Faith, 08/12/2015
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The SUV that literally turns into a pickup is a great idea. Being able to lay a full sheet of drywall or plywood flat in the rear cargo area is another great design. My issue with the vehicle is all the repairs that have had to happen and I barely have break in mileage on the vehicle at 78,000. I've had to replace the thermostat; it's had 3 sets of tires; the front and rear sway bar links have been replaced; when I am sitting at a stop, the speedometer reads as high as 40 (this number varies at different times). Other instrument panel gauges often show the wrong information. And last but not least, I am now experiencing issues with the transmission. I've owned other GM vehicles and this has been my least favorite experience as far as repairs. I like the vehicle overall. I just don't thing I should have so many repair bills for 78,000 miles. I did have to replace the transmission ($2,900). I also had to have the instrument panel overhauled ($200). In addition, the midgate window regulator had to be replaced because one day it went down and wouldn't go back up. The vehicle recently turned 95,000 miles and finally seems to be in good working order. We'll see! Recent repair (08/2020) was a cracked fuel tank.It now has 106,000 miles.

2004 Envoy XUV SLT

chris2004envoy, 11/23/2012
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 6 years now, use it to tow skidoos in the winter, hauled just about everything in the back, drywall, garden supplies, wood, fridges, an oven etc. It now has 160,000 km on it and has suffered what I would consider less than average issues. Common problems for all Envoy models are the front bearings, instrument cluster and the inline 6 has a fairly light duty exhaust manifold which in my case cracked. The good news is the parts are easy to buy aftermarket replacements and I replaced the bearings myself. I found a guy who replaced all the faulty motors in the cluster too for 200$ cash and the exhaust manifold was 1000 dollar fix. Not bad for 9 years +

XUV is the place to be

Baldbcool, 05/08/2004
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I really love my XUV. I went looking at the Durangos, Trailblazers and Volvos. The interiors were all cheesy. As soon as I say in the XUV I was hooked. The leather heated seats keep you warm and wrap around you. The retractable roof is a plus since I traded in my Ram for it. The V6 is powerful enough for what I need. The only negative is my own fault. I bought a black one and black is no fun to keep clean. But when its clean its the baddest looking SUV on the street.

All the best

jerryreliable, 01/05/2013
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Aw shucks, 98,000 miles, and I had to put brake pads on it. Other than oil changes and one set of tires, that is is for maintenance. Still like the car as new, and a pickup truck it is indeed. Tows 27' boats, hauls plywood, and 12 foot planks, Yanmar diesels, you name it. And it still looks terrific.

Certainly not the best car i have ever owned

socaldude3, 07/31/2011
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 envoy xuv v8, its now on its 3rd transmission (work done at gm) 2nd engine (from gm), the tailgate regulator has broken 3 times and been replaced because it locks us out of the trunk, the mid-gate regulator is currently broken, it has always had some mysterious shake at idle, gm told us that was just part of the car. The speedometer has been stuck at 120mph for the past year, the drivers seat (power) only works sometimes. and its only got 100k miles, it does have one of the best rides i have ever seen, and the 5.3 v8 does have great power.. I take good care of it, but since iv owned this, I can see why they stopped making them. after this, i doubt il buy another gm

Exactly What I Wanted!

DRS, 08/12/2006
SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I got the XUV to have a new vehicle to drive to my son's college graduation in May 2004. We fell in love with it during the trip. We had 3 rather large adults for the 1000 mile trip out to the college and we all were amazingly comfortable. After 3+ years the automobile continues to please the family. I have had it back to the dealership only for the recommended service at 6000 and 12000 miles. The OnStar phone has become a necessity. Beware the phone on my OnStar uses analog technology and will need to be upgraded to digital by 2008. This "conversion" costs about $400, but gets you OnStar telephone service for 3 years, which appears to be a good deal if you are going to use it.

Sweat Ride

donna f, 07/13/2009
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. She rides like a cadillac and handles very well on both the highway and the back road hills. Gas millage is ok I guess for a SUV but making a sacrafice for comfort is well worth it.

Lemon?

Peggy, 08/05/2010
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Envoy XUV new in 2003. Just when the warranty ran out, we began to have electrical problems. Can't remember what it was that was replaced but it was pricey. A year later, same exact thing. We've been able to get by, since then, by carrying a battery charger with us. If the system shuts down, we're stranded. Yesterday, the battery would not charge and we were towed to the dealer, again! We've always had Hondas and have never had any problems whatsoever. My husband was reluctant to buy a GMC product. Only reason we bought this was because of the sliding roof feature, which we've only used once or twice in 6 years. We'll stick with Hondas next time.

love my xuv

Tonya, 02/27/2016
SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my xuv for 2 years and I absolutely love it !!! Love the retractable roof and love that everything happens at a touch of a few buttons !

12345...8