Used 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews

Used Monte Carlo for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...11

Pros
Cons

Shoud have been better

galoot, 04/09/2002
Z34 2dr Coupe

The spark plug wires started going bad at about 20K miles. At about 40K and 5 trips to the shop they were all replaced. After a recall notice i waited for another 1 to go bad. So i had the dealership replace all 6 wires. After going in 6 times chevy has replaced all the wires twice. It didn't cost anything but, after 6 trips i got pissed off. If you have to pay to have the wires replaced on the Z34 it costs a lot because they have to take the intake off to get to the back 3 wires. Another problem is the alterator. It went bad at 51K and agian at 104K. It is under the engine. So it gets hit with dirt and goes bad. Only a shop can replace it. The engine has to be lowed to replace it.

Ehhhh

20yearoldcollegeboy, 08/08/2008
Z34 2dr Coupe

Since owning this car I have had very mixed feelings on it. Bought when I was 16. It gets me around. A great car if you have the money to fix problems which there are a lot! And each problem cost a small fortune to fix. The car handles well, has a nice ride, people always think its newer than it is (body just started showing small rust in two spots),body holds up well (hit three deer at once, insurance fixed, MPG are decent if you baby the throttle (28 hwy)but can dip as low as 14 in city. Engine seems to be stronger at some times than others, can be fast and very stable, quiet at 75-80 hwy. One cupholder for 5 seats? 1-2 downshift is slow! Occassional trouble starting. It's a 12 yr old car

Not a Bad First Car! 96 Z34

Rick , 12/11/2008
Z34 2dr Coupe

This is not a bad first car, I enjoy driving it. It has power for a v6. Nice looking vehicle, and the gas mileage could be better. But I get about 19 mpg. Wish the body and underbody was more stable. So far I have replaced, (tps sensor front and rear struts, strut bushings, oil pan). Transmission is only good for about 80,000 miles. I love the vehicle though, it is worth the 6,000 I paid for it. Bought it at mileage 60,000 miles and now has 145,000 and still strong! Keep fluids up to date, and this vehicle is nice! Bought the car from my father back in 2005, am the second owner! I will never get rid of this vehicle!

DON'T invest your money in these cars

cemjr149, 08/06/2002
Z34 2dr Coupe

I've had more trouble with this car than I can describe in this box. 2 alternators, numerous sensors, electric door locks don't work($150 each to fix), electric windows work half of the time, volume for radio turns off whenever I turn the steering wheel, spark plug wires had to be replaced twice. Vacuum pump needs to be replaced now($350.00). Dealer has replaced many other parts to make it idle correctly before determining the vacuum pump was bad and charged me for all of the parts and labor while he was guessing. I wouldn't recommend this car for anyone and my car is not an isolated case. Do your research before buying a Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

Nothing but bad news

Nannygoat, 08/21/2002
Z34 2dr Coupe

It has been nothing but problems: alternator, spark plug wires (twice), spark plugs, power windows (twice), power door locks, driver's reclining mechanism, door padding, center console, power steering, transmission. I have sunk about $5-6K into this car in the 4.5 years of ownership. Only 67K miles. Don't bother seeking a refuge with GM "customer service" either. They just tell you to get lost.

12345...11