Used 2010 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Malibu for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best Car I Ever Owned

Me, 11/22/2015
LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is the best car I've ever owned so far and I have had many. I won't bash other brands so I'll leave that out. I bought the car pre-owned with less than 10k on it and now have 85k. I am very pleased with how dependable this car is. The only thing I've had done "major" is new tires and brakes. Again it's at 85k miles... The interior is beautiful (have the 2 tone brown and cream color leather). I am 5'11 and my son is 6'1 and we fit comfortably in the front and back seat. I know how difficult it can be to find a car that "fits". Other features I enjoy is the sound system (I have a long daily commute to work), smooth ride, heated seats and remote start. The exterior appearance is classy. Things that could be better is the trunk opening and gas mileage for me is only averaging 22, for a 4 cylinder I was hoping for better, however I do drive aggressively. I rely heavily on other reviews when making purchases and am very thankful that people write them..this is my first and I hope this review helps. I would recommend this car to anyone.

3 years/70k miles and still going strong

setht37, 08/06/2013

I have had this car for 3 years and it now has over 70k miles on it and I have not had any issues with it. There are a couple squeaks and rattles here and there and sometimes the right turn signal does not go off when turning but I figure it is not a luxury car so what do you expect. I feel this car is just as reliable as a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. When I first got the car it did not get good gas mileage now that the engine is broken in it gets good mileage. I have gotten 33 mpg doing 80 with 5 people in the car and luggage in the trunk.

One of the best cars i have owned

bowls, 11/13/2013

I bought the car with 10k on it, and now have almost 60k, not one problem or complaint, it is very dependable, wonderful performance, the appearance is beautiful, Chevrolet has finally figured out how to build like the foreign cars, the mileage is as expected, and is acceptable in town if driven carefully, I have kept up the standard maintenance only, nothing other than that, so it has always had oil changes when needed (3k), I would recommend this car to anyone, and the folks that had all the problems should intact the lemon law, as it was probably built on a Friday or Monday.

Better than what I had

jwh_2014, 06/21/2014

I traded in my 2001 Taurus.., I miss that car but I did a definite upgrade with this Malibu. My family is glad that I have actually have a car that won't leave me stranded anymore. I love the car even though there are downsides like trunk space, but other than that I love it.

Comparable to a "Cadi"

ogcrew1, 01/08/2012

I have to say out of all the car's I have had (Jeeps, GM SUV's, Saabs, Volvos, Taurus SHO)... This car surprised me! I have owned this car for about six months now and have put 14,000 miles on it... I do mixed driving and in the spring/summer/ fall months I was getting 29MPG(mixed) and 32MPG(full highway). The comfort level is awesome, the 4-Cyl could use a little more pep but still when I need to go it moves. Overall I would and do recommend this car to friends.

Dependable

John Gordon, 09/30/2016
LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

have gotten up to 35 mpg per tankful on some roads. Has been dependable and very low cost to maintain. when a mechanic tried to replace the battery, all the on board computers went hay-wire! The idle was high, they could not get the radio to work, etc. I traded it in on a Jeep.

headlights

berke, 10/30/2014
LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just had to pay $120.00 labor to change a low beam bulb. Not blaming the mechanics but the designers who did such a poor job. If you haven't had to change a bulb you will be shocked. I have always changed the headlights myself, up to now, but this is ridiculous.

Love it or hate it

carlover1996, 07/15/2012

We bought our Malibu in April of 2010. In the beginning we absolutely loved our Malibu. After a few months of owning it problems/things we dislike began to appear. First, the 4 cyl is not enough for this car. It has devoloped a hesitation when hitting the gas (delayed for 1-2 seconds sometimes and is dangerous when trying to get out of the way!). Second, the seats are hard and uncomfortable for more than a half hour. They hardly have ANY padding and the backseat had no center armrest. Third is visability, its not horrible, but if you are around 5 feet tall you will have trouble or cannot use your mirrors. Other than these issues the car is a good overall car, but we are about to trade it in.

no acceleration/ headlights a pain to change

janel alderman, 10/09/2015
LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

you have to take off the whole bumper to change out the headlights. normally costs $5.00 to change normal headlights, this one over a hundred dollars. chevy must be supporting body shops and giving them more business with no regards to the owner.

Great to look at...

Kerrymel, 08/21/2017
LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like most cars these days- something major went wrong right after the warranty expired ...the transmission went out. Although I kept up with the maintenance at the dealership/somehow the transmission fluid was black-(sealed pan underneath.)Also airbag lights and tire sensors would not go off. $300 to have a headlight replaced. But a good looking car.

Passenger Airbag Problems

foresterjoe, 08/26/2013

My wife and I bought this car two years ago with only 21k on it. Drove it and loved it initially, then the car started to have issues. Since we have owned it (now over 2 years), we have had it in the shop 6 times; 5 of those dealing with the passenger air bag system and 1 to replace the final drive in the transmission. 3 out of the 5 times have been for the wiring harness/connectors. We just had it in last month for the airbag and guess what, yesterday we had the light come back on. Poor design that GM won't recognize as being a major problem. Thank goodness for extended warranty, but still costs us $100 a pop for deductible. Won't buy another GM car again. That's for sure!

2010 Malibu LTZ

CMD, 05/30/2010

This has been an excellent vehicle. For the price, the LTZ model is unbeatable in the luxuries it offers. Heated seats are great for the winter. For a four cylinder, the performance is excellent, it feels like it could be a V6. Handles just as well as my Saab. I am currently averaging more than 29 miles per gallon (about 24-25 city, 32-33 highway). It really looks like GM has improved their quality, no problems thus far. I am now back to buying American cars.

Elegant and reliable

Azury Florio, 05/27/2016

The best design among Malibus

130K Miles and still running strong

Chepnih, 01/04/2017
LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

So far so good. I have owned this car for 6 years. Regular maintenance is all it needs. Engine and Transmission still in great shape. A lot more reliable than accord that I used to own. My only issue is with the headlights. You need to spend an hour of labor to change just the bulb. But after watching a few youtube videos, I changed the last one myself.

Love it

CalgarySL, 11/12/2009

I got 1LT Mocha Steel Metallic 2010 model and already have 3000 Kms on it. Ride is so smooth. Unfortunately, an someone rear ended it, but very little damage. Car is in body shop now.

I got rid of it but im stuck for years!!!

Jay, 09/26/2018
LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used low mileage, purchased a warranty still, little did i know it wouldnt cover anything. 2 days after purchase i brought it back to dealer because of the transmission slamming into gear and they told me that was normal. Fast foward a year and half the car started breaking down, headlights never worked, oil leaked, door locks dont work, car shaked so bad, and actually my car rolled into a brick wall while IN park and the front end was dented and scraped. Finally, my rotors got so hot they melted my tires, last straw, after finding out my transmission needed to be replaced at 83k miles!!!! I still owed 8k on it and i traded it for the bare minimum 1500!!!! I then had to pay an additional 1k out of pocket for even a down payment ( i have great credit) just to get into a better car!!! So fast foward i bought a 2018 kia optima and i love it, however my loan and payments expand to 7 years at 500$ because of how bad this car screwed me over. I will never EVER own a chevy again!!! Pure junk!!!

pretty good car.

shotgun1496, 07/26/2012

have had tons of issues but thats from tons of driving every day. car wasn't running good lately but then it hit a truck tire on the freeway, tore the crap out of the bottom of the car, got it fixed for $4000, but this car has never ran so great, i love it now rides smooth and quietly, runs good but to small of an engine for the car.

Chevy runs shallow

landroverblows, 04/06/2012

The plastic seat backs snap out of place when I put any pressure on the back. I'm 6-3, 225. It has to be put back in place constantly. The front bumper is too low & scrapes when I enter dipped driveways. I have 3 black scuffs on white paint on underside bumper. There's 2 cup holders in the center console and the back soda always gets wedged in. There's not enough space for your gadgets in the open console. You have to stow everything away under the arm rest but I prefer a place where I can see and hear it. Dash molding above MPH popped out on 1 end - cheap glue. My left knee leans up against door and hits the trunk button while driving. Low tires. Chevy doesn't honor 'bumper2bumper". 27 mpg

Do not buy!!!

Robin Campbell, 09/24/2015
LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you are looking to sink a ton of money into your car, then by all means this is the car for you. The steering rack and gear completely bound. The exhaust camshaft also needs replaced at just 65,000 miles. The 2004-2009 malibu had a recall for the steering rack, but they refuse to include the 2010. The same part is used, but they won't do a thing to rectify the problem. Complete lemon of a car. There is no power, the interior is falling apart and the handles are peeling. The seat belt in the rear was also replaced.

Junk chevy and gm

Big D, 08/15/2018
LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Gm is super cheap and doesn't use hardened steel on transmission parts so all in all ur transmission will go out.I have owned gm cars my whole life but will never buy one again. My dad was looking to buy a new chevy truck.but with poor support from gm and not wanting to recall an obvious problem he has decided he will no longer buy gm vehicles of any kind.maybe if they wold recall there junk transmissions they would have more sales.But obviously they don't care about there customers

Exceeds our "expectations"

dtgriffin, 07/29/2010

My wife and I love our new Malibu! Our Malibu exceeds "all" of our expectations. The standard turn by turn navigation is awesome and easy to use. Hard to believe a family sedan comes standard with the paddle shift, which worked great while we took a drive through the Smokey mountains. We love everything about our new Malibu lt!

Don't buy GM

happygirl7h, 03/21/2014

I was told I was buying it under bluebook its now worth less than 1/2 and its 4 years old. Began having problems with lights, engine speed lost on freeway and expensive repairs every year. Not worth it, I am told these are rental cars. I will stick with Honda or Subaru, something reliable. I will never buy a GM again.

Looks great, noisy cheap interior

MikeURL, 10/07/2012

I actually have the 6 cylinder model but I can't find an option to review that version. I admit I was sold on this car by the looks. I really liked the way it looked on the outside so I overlooked a lot of other problems. Primarily I'm disappointed with the amount of noise when driving. The wheels and suspension transmit every little sound into the cabin. Also, the headliner squeaks and rattles. It is irritating but I don't want to try and get the dealer to take the whole headliner out and fix it. Also, the ride is very rough. You can feel every little crack in the pavement. The upside to that is that the handling is actually quite good. This car can corner on a dime.

MY 1st NEW CAR

lemusracing, 02/21/2010

Just traded in my NISSAN sentra se-r 2006. I am glad i got rid of that garbage econobox for this great car. Just got it with the 6year warranty so i am not worried about reliability. this car is nice all the stock features comfy seats big trunk great gas mileage. HUGE REBATES over $5thousand in them plus military discount. The look is beautiful 2.4 inline 4 is so quiet doesn't struggle has enough power for daily driving.great car

Total Transmission Failure

lindahat, 04/15/2010

I bought this beautiful brand new Malibu LT after driving only GM trucks for a long time. What a great car! But after owning it just short of 3 months, and only 1500 miles, it has had three major problems develop, all within 24 hrs: 1) dash lights went off and on, 2) cruise control engaged and accelerated on it's own, going uphill, 3) total transmission failure! The repairing dealership has had it a week and is now taking out the entire transmission for replacement. This car is obviously a lemon and we have asked for our money back! No response as yet. Does GM care about rebuilding their image? We shall see how we are treated.

Beware of Chevy Customer Service.

IMom, 10/19/2010

Bought a beautiful 2010 Chevy Malibu in May 2010. Started having 'misfiring' problems in July. Long story short, I have had it for just 5 months 3 of which it has had issues. 4 times in and out of the dealer to try and get it fixed. Called Chevy Customer service and basically got nothing. They don't help, don't call back or if they do it's to repeat what the dealer has already told me. Supposedly it's an intermittent problem and they can't fix it unless they can reproduce it even after diagnostics shows 'misfires'. Then they say they will help get me out of the problem and change their mind the next day. Bottom line is no customer satisfaction. Wish I would have kept my Ford Fusion!

good for the money?

jack373, 03/12/2014
LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the Malibu new in 2010. Wife wanted an auto (4 speed), but not a six. Last one on the lot. Offered $18,900 total drive out and the dealer took it. Have put 81,000 miles on it with a few problems. Do my own regular maintenance (tires, oil. air filter). But went to change the transmission fluid but couldn't. There is no dip stick to check your transmission. There is a fill hole but I couldn't get in there to suck out the old trans fluid. Would have to put the vehicle up on four blocks. Glad it has the timing chain and not a belt. Had to have the emergency brake replaced under warranty. Per dealer, emergency brake warning chime only works when going forward (not in reverse). Right after 50,000 miles, we have had three emission problems and none were covered by the warranty (two were the camshaft position (CMP) actuator both the exhaust and then the intake). Cost $148 each time! Also, the AC started 'clicking' when on recirculate and cost a couple hundred to fix that too (cheap little actuator in there too that wasn't opening the door that was mostly labor to get to). 82,000 miles on odometer. My daughter has our old 2004 Camry. Never been in the shop with 130,000 miles. Just keep changing the oil (and fluids), plugs (easy to get to), brakes, and tires. Starting to wish I had bought a 2010 Camry but my wife wanted this car. AC fan is clicking again when on low. This is different than the actuator that was clicking. This is in the fan. Not going to get it fixed. My wife can just listen to it. At 100,000, we changed the transmission fluid. You can't really do it yourself because there is no trans dip stick on this model Malibu where you can suck out the old fluid. The place on top where you add fluid will not allow you down in because there are baffles. There is a place to drain it underneath, but the vehicle has to be up high and level like in a garage. So after the dealer changed the fluid, the transmission lines started leaking. And of course I don't have a dip stick to check the fluid in the transmission so I have to get that fixed right away. The problem was 'you can't put new wine in old wine skins' kinda thing. The new fluid is gonna leak out those old hoses. The front headlight went out around that time too. The dealer wanted hundreds of dollars to change it (labor) so I did it myself. About 3 hours of labor to take the front bumper off to get to the headlight. Yep. I'm not kidding. Google if you care. I changed the 4 spark plugs myself at 100,000. That was pretty easy. No PCV valve on this car. No steering fluid either (electronic). The back brakes were easy to change with the special tool you buy for $15. No other issues. Presently have 112,000 miles. Put Nexen tires on it. They go well with it.

malibu

Beth, 05/27/2017
LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

for a sedan this is a great vehicle. smaller for getting around in parking lots but not so small that you feel as if sitting in a tin can. seats are bigger in front so you are not falling off set at every corner. gas millage is good and trunk is fair sized. love love love my vehicle.

Bye Bye Malibu

Ann, 01/11/2019
LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2010 Chevy Malibu brand new and I really loved the car. I loved the body and how fast the V-6 engine could go on the highway, the fuel economy wasn't bad, but when it shift gears it was felt. The car really gave me no problems, but I kept hearing this sound and it was extremely annoying when I would drive. It would go away and come back, but it wasn't really loud just annoying to me. I took my car to several mechanics and a Chevy dealer and no one could find the source of the sound. Finally in 2018 while driving I was unable to accelerate when pressing the gas and then all the buttons lit up on the dashboard. I rushed the car to my mechanic and it sounded terrible, the timing belt was messed up. I went back a day later and tried to turn the car on, the engine was gone. I had 63,053 miles on my Malibu. An engine gone at 63k, I'm sure it happens, at least I got eight years out of it. However, I don't think I will be doing Chevy's again any time soon..

Best in class

William Jackson, 05/25/2019
LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great vehicle. I just bought a 2010 Malibu LTZ 2.4L 4cylender. Car has alot of features I have never heard of on a vehicle. It rides great smooth steering is very responsive. This Car is very quick.

Piece of Junk

wspringer, 12/09/2013

This car looks pretty nice on the outside, but that's about it. It sits WAY too low. The drivers seat is like a cockpit. There is no comfortable driving position if you put up the seat higher, you just hit into the steering wheel, and it sits very very low inside of the vehicle. It is loaded with blind spots; the car is very hard to get a good view out of. Obviously not meant for someone taller than 5 foot. The seat itself is also hard as a rock. Back seats are very cramped. Everything inside is a junky plastic. I think I will be sticking with my 1991 Ford Country Squire.

Am a big baller

baller10, 05/21/2012

I love my bu, I dont have any problems with my malibu, I bought it from an auction with 22k miles on it now it got 38k miles with no problems. I had a dvd with navigation installed and standing on 20 rims,fog light installed and replace the front and rear OEM speakers, and my mpg is still great. damn, my baby is all pimped out, it makes me feel like a big baller lol

Some driving issues

Bob, 09/28/2010

Opted for the v6, gas mileage is poor, performance is just ok, small trunk opening, can't get anything in it without twisting and turning the article, seats are uncomfortable, visibility is very bad, took rear seat headrest off, put them on front seats because they are smaller, stored the front seat ones, when I looked into the rear view mirror all I saw was headrest, looking forward with the large a pillars is outright dangerous, XM radio poor reception, constantly get disconnected with blue tooth, its useless, my 2007 Impala ltz with 3.9 v6 was peppy and great gas mileage, nice car but this could be better, hard to get in and out, low roofline always hitting head getting in and out

Absolute dissapointment

coswife13, 02/26/2013

I bought this 2010 Malibu used with 55,888 miles on it. Lets just say I should have kept my 2007 Impala. I traded due to wanting a car without leather but needless to say that was a small problem compared to everything that has happened with this Malibu. I have been back to the dealership 6 times in the last month and a half that I have had it and it still isn't running properly. I had to put all new tires, new brakes, a new blower in the heater. My speakers are junk and they have put new struts on but I am still experiencing the same noise as before the "new" struts were on. I have never had to put this much work into a car before and my first car was 15 years old when I got it!

Glad it was a rental-poor!

rman961, 03/27/2011

We rented this car to go on a 700 mile trip. The car is beautiful on the outside, but on the inside, it is made with mostly plastic. The seats could be more comfortable, and the cloth has no good quality whatsoever. Leg room is poor in the rear. The trunk is extremely small and you can barely fit a mid sized cooler in it! I'm so glad we didn't buy this car. Go with the Fusion!

Air bag light

Terri, 02/20/2016
LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Is anyone having issues with air bag light going on periodically? Chevrolet dealer stated they cannot repair it unless the light is on when I bring it in. I am concerned about my safety but that does not seem to be a concern of theirs.

Somebody didn't hear about THAT

R'Lene Mulkey, 10/02/2009
LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Somebody said the Honda Accord has better resale. Somebody else said the Nissan has better technology and that the Ford Fusion is a FORD and more reliable. My Malibu has a 4 cyl 6 speed automatic transmission that feels supercharged, while it sips away at the gas with 33 mpg on the hwy. The body style, interior, and technological conveniences are absolutely beautiful! It is quiet, smooth, a lovely environment in which to drive. I am more than satisfied with this GM product, which was made in Kansas City, USA. Better than Honda, Nissan or Ford on the test drive, price, and economy to operate. Guess Somebody didn't hear about THAT!

No Thank You!

gotonana, 07/20/2011

Bought the car for it's high estimated mpg. If 15.9 to 19 is high then I guess I got what I paid for!! The dealership tells me nothing is wrong with this 4 cylinder car!!

Best car ever

nick, 10/29/2010

I have had my 210 malibu for 1 mo now this is the best car i have ever bought. i've had hondas and ford they cannot compete with this car i would buy another one in a heart beat. great job gm your back on my list of best cars

Disappointed

meer, 08/10/2011

Bought car for wife. The front seat bolsters are too high, uncomfortable on long ride. Ok, for smaller wife. Gas mileage is only 24 mpg. Service manager actually said it would get better after break in period, (car is 7 mo's old). The tire pressure fluctuates way to much. I'm always putting in air, Service mgr said this normal due to weather. Also had rear quarter panel pop loose from wheel well. Overall I'm disappointed in the car. We went from a Chrysler Concord with 194,000 miles on it a 3.5 V 6 that got 27 miles to the gal on trips. GM needs to readdress their business goals. I wanted to buy American but got burned.

Great Car

intoz24s, 12/05/2012

My wife wanted the Buick Enclave but that's quite a bit more so we agreed on the Malibu. It's a nice car that rides well and is quiet on the road. Ours is the LTZ with the V6 and the engine is something beautiful to listen to when accelerating. The car on the highway truely does get 30-32 MPG.

Interior Design Flaws

Sophia, 04/28/2010

Interior shiny chrome features near gear shift and dash area blind the driver during daytime driving. Matte silver would be a safer design option. Radio buttons on steering wheel should be on LEFT side, since most people utilize their right hand to do other things besides drive (talk on phone, drink beverage, get items from passenger seat, etc)

Just Love My Chevy

MaryRose, 05/02/2010

This vehicle is outstanding, from bumper to bumper. So far I have put on 1000 miles. I get about 18 miles to the gallon around town (lots of start and stopping) and as for the freeway, I get 31 miles to the gallon. This car handles so well and I love being able to input driving directions and then calling them up via OnStar. The color I chose was Mocha Steel Metallic. In the shade is looks black and in the sunlight, grayish brown with little bits of metallic. Very unique color. Why would anyone consider a Toyota or Honda?

Fun to drive

nb10ma, 06/04/2010

I am very happy with the Malibu. It is very good looking, the interior design is very classy and practical. It weighs over 3400 lb, but handles extremely well on highway around 75 mph.

GM = GREAT MACHINE

jopo, 06/05/2010

Having researched and read reviews on the Malibu before my purchase (still have a 05 Malibu Maxx with 90k miles and running strong) I am very happy with my Malibu purchase. The ride is quiet and comfortable and am averaging over 29 mpg on the 1900 miles I have driven so far. good job gm.

Worth the Drive

Chevy Deal, 07/08/2010

This car is great. Great look (interior and exterior), handling, fuel efficient (traded in a V6). Looked around before purchasing but glad we did make the right choice with the Malibu.

Great looks - Not so great gas

xxmexboixx, 11/10/2010

I have loved this car since the second i saw it. Color coordinated interior, features, space, etc. The aesthetics are very appealing. Power got you down? Throw that bad boy into manual and watch it take off. I actually think it changes gears better in manual. However, my love has a dark side as the car says i'm not getting more than 19MPG....i commute 80 miles a day and this is absurd to me. I sit in traffic half the time and am moving the other half. Filled up my tank and did the math and i actually get a bit over 23 MPG but still not acceptable. I wish it got just 5 MPG more. considering switching to the Cruze. Gas is the ONLY downside i have so far for this vehicle.

Buy a tow truck too if you buy a malibu

Patrick norton, 12/10/2018
LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Transmission failure at 40000. Gm replaced it. When I had electrical problems at 42000 I can tell gm was thru with me and the car. 2010 Malibu is total feces. Poor tranny ride electrical belts power brakes . Should have bought a Hugo. Chevy can build a great truck and a total piece of crap car. Buy a bus pass.

great looking exterior but wouldnt buy again...

wolfmagic7, 10/25/2012

wife loved it but is easily impressed. i've driven this car for 1 year now and bought it after describing the testdrive as "adequate" to her and the salesman. when i feel different, i will change my review. we bought it from dealer near end of 3 year warranty and the first issue to fix was excess wind noise due to thin metal and windows. it was heaviest in its class so seemed safer against larger vehicles, but feels paper thin. closing doors sounds tinny. poor mileage way never ever coming close to ratings is biggest issue with it.

A Well Kept Secret

John, 10/10/2009

After considering the Accord and Camry compared to Malibu, it was hands down Malibu. The quality interior really stands out- what a sharp looking mid- size. The options on this car are too numerous to mention. The mocha steel metallic exterior looks classy. The wood trim interior makes this car stand out. Is this really a GM car?

51050