Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

Used Malibu for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...25

Pros
Cons

An Accord V6 for $5500 less

sunsete, 11/30/2005
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is bigger than it looks. Steering is silky smooth and silent. Good pickup when needed and excellent milage when driven prudently (36mpg city 44mpg hwy). Interior is built better than my office desk for bins clips and tables. Beautiful car I think; much better than all the other triangles and jellybeans running around out there. Headlights are outstanding, really light up the road ahead.

355,000 mies and still a dream to drive!

Dansker1, 07/08/2015
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

... pleasurable miles of driving:+)}}} This is my third review on this vehicle, did one in 2014.............just took in for 333,000 check up, all I can say it is amazing. Had oil gasket replaced three years ago for the first time, burns virtually no oil (most driving is highway). Has plenty of pep, but needs new shocks...........my chevy mechanics have asked me if I will sell this vehicle to them, after I am done with it! Minimal replacement of parts, had new ball joints put in a couple of months ago, and brakes, other than that, nothing has gone wrong. As said before, I would buy another in a heart beat..............with 333,000 miles on the odometer the car has a negative value (just don't tell that to the car)...........happy owner, Just came back from a 8 and 1/2 hour drive to NYC.............burned about an eighth of a quart of high mileage oil, and the auto drive has quit, but had chevys since I was in high school..........1949 fastback pea green, and paid a whopping $50.00 for it (it ran great for two years, the tranny went) should have kept my 1958 Impala two door, paid $800 for it and today it is worth $80,000, but who knew! A trick I highly recommend is to put a bottle of Gumout High Milage liquid into your gas tank, and burn regular gasoline(every 9,000 miles)............better performance, and I picked up about three miles per gallon.......................enjoy!

276,000 miles and still runs like a top!

dansker1, 09/11/2014
LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Malibu in 2006 from a leasing agency............to say the way this car has lasted is amazing...........just took it in for one of three recalls, and the mechanics were amazed at the milage (276,016) and runs smooth. I burn about a cup of oil every two thousand miles, and just put it on high mileage oil for the first time. Just a couple of items of note, gas gauge no longer works, but use the mileage ap to figure fill up to fill up. Averages 36 on the highway, and 32 in city, and the automatic locking system is finished, but can be opened manually. Everything else works fine............I give it five stars out of five.:+)}}} and I would purchase another one in a heart beat.

Economy plus great handling

tao, 03/23/2006
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After almost 3 years with this car, I am very pleased with it. I enjoy the handling and the zippy V-6, which gets over 30 mpg on the highway. It is chock-full of features, such as side- curtain airbags, all of which were much more expensive on import competitors.

Poorly made

mcrogers07, 06/13/2016
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

If you'll look at carcomplaints.com, you'll notice 195 people reported steering problems. I had an issue with my steering column, which rendered the car as though it was hydroplaning. I paid to get that repaired (because Chevy still refused to do a recall even with all of the complaints). My engine coolant sensor has crapped out, so that indicator comes on every time the car is started. I was told that was also a common problem and would require a decent amount of labor to replace a relatively inexpensive part. There's also a loud vibration noise coming from the front dash when driven. It also dies randomly, but thankfully, as the car has already stopped. The trunk button stopped working so it has to be opened manually. The turn signal lights go out frequently. The display doesn't function if it's too cold.

More bang for your buck

Brent Young, 07/24/2005
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I are, or were, hardcore SUV owners until we saw and drove the newly designed Malibu. The price tag was a big hit as well. I would have expected to pay much more money for all the luxury. The car is far superior in the quiet department as well, and rides as well as a larger wheel based auto. I am a big guy, and the car is suprisingly roomy. Our best mileage yet as been just over 27 mpg, but that was only on a two hour turn around trip. I believe the car will do better on the long haul. Simply put, the car has really exceeded my expectations.

ssful, 07/30/2005
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've been most pleased with my 2004 Malibu. It suits my needs, safely getting me to the grocery store, and not breaking the bank on providing transportation. I feel this is an excellent choice for a student driver, or small family, or elderly person who is not looking for all the bells and whistles, but reliable transportation with the safety of a midsize. I extensively shopped, and only the Malibu and Galant were priced within my range .I purchased a demo with low mileage fully equipped, with two years of remaining warranty and paid under $10k. My only complaint is the seat adjustment handle is of such inferior plastic, I fear that it will break off every time I have to readjust.

Great Car

rebecca young, 04/12/2004
LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The all new malibus are great cars, fun, to drive, and very sleek!

A car that is more than adequate

Malibu Raptor, 06/20/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have now put over 1300 miles on this car and for the most part am satified with it. I previously own a 99 and a 02 Malibu and felt they were excellent cars. I was disappointed that the base model of the new line of Malibu's only has a 2.2l 4 cylinder engine, although it has more than enough power to get the job done and gets excellent mileage. A recent 360 mile road trip got 37.8 mpg according to the onboard trip computer. It is very unfortunate that they have dropped the ABS and child door locks from the standard equipment list for the base model.

Nice Car

MikeT612, 09/25/2004
4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I like it. Looks weird at first, but it grows on you.

12345...25