2000 Volvo V40 Consumer Review: Better than you think

2000 Volvo V40 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic)

Better than you think
By Scott Mathews on

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

This is possibly the best Volvo I've ever owned. Quick, comfortable, and stylish and only minor problems. Many of the issues that others have reported suggest to me that they never opened the owner's manual. Example: "headlights burn out annually". The cars come from the factory with Daytime Running Lights (DRL) activated. Naturally the headlights are going to burn out more often when they're on day and night. Solution: read the owner's manual and it tells you how to turn DRL off in 2 easy steps. Some other problems may have been caused by not following Volvo's recommended service intervals. I would like to know more about the driving style of folks who wore out their brakes in 15,000 miles!

Acceleration, "sport mode" shift pattern, excellent brake modulation, audio system, appearance, comfy seats, powerful A/C

Front cupholder is an ergonomic disaster that was remedied in later models. It doesn't help that I have my XM Radio receiver mounted on the air vent directly above the cupholder, the only place I could figure out to put it.