2004 XRS 6speed 166k miles
By eddiem325 on
2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
We bought or XRS new, fully loaded except for navigation. We have driven our car all over the east coast. It has never left us stranded. My wife usually drives it and baby's it. When I drive it, I drive it like I stole it. Besides replacing the a/c compressor and switch, the only thing we've had trouble with was cheap plastics and the clutch. Our 1st clutch went at 80k miles and is ready to go up again at 166k miles. Will invest in the heavy duty clutch this time. A small oil leak developed at 150k miles on the valve covers. We love our '04 matrix so much we are looking for another "03 to '05 before they're all gone and high mileage.
Favorite Features
My wife loves the 6 speed manual tranny. The 6 cd changer stereo sound was nice but now needs speakers. The 110 volt receptacle was awesome for her laptop charging along the foldable front seat for college. The versatile seating arrangements have been awesome for Home Depot runs to throwing my bike in to family vacations up and down the east coast. Moon roof rocks too. Great handling with 17' rims, but the tires get pricey. My son is 13 and wants one for when he starts driving. It's been a great family car. Handled his car seat well. 32 miles per gallon rocket. Added a hitch which was bolt on because Toyota had welded bolts for a hitch already. Use it to move my jet boat around our yard.
Suggested Improvements
Bring back the 6 speed 180hp 1.8 liter motor with a heavier clutch. They improved the front facia which was too low and often scraped up in '05. There were some cheesy plastic parts inside such as panel covers. The liftgate cover eventually fell off. Road noise and a stiff ride was my only complaint. My wife loves the ride and said she loved the sporty stiffness and handling. To each his own. My Dodge Ram has half the mileage of our Matrix and has been in the shop twice if not three times as much.
By donlocking
on 05/15/14 21:07 PM (PDT)

We bought one new in 04, it is great but our needs have changed and we don't use it much. We will be selling it and getting a trailer puller of similar value, whatever that is. The car is in perfect condition with just over 53000 kilometres. The only thing we have ever done to it is put a new sound system in it that syncs with blue tooth etc and a new set of soft rubber tires last year.