2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Review: Practical & Reliable/Lacks Fun

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Practical & Reliable/Lacks Fun Factor
By NewsJunkieLite on

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I like the Vibe's styling better, but I got the Matrix because of the yellow color. It's extremely practical, like an SUV w/o the bad gas mileage. I've fit a push mower and a old clunky stationary bike in the back with the seats folded down (not at the same time although that wouldn't be impossible). The gas mileage is good too; I've averaged 27-30 mpg depending on how hard I've driven. It doesn't bother me but if you're gonna get a yellow car be aware that bugs like yellow cars like they like streetlamps. Compared to other cars the A/C is quick to start cooling during the summer. My only issue with it is that it's not very fun to drive. Maybe next time I'll go for the HHR SS,or the Audi A3.

Favorite Features

The Color, gas mileage, large cargo space, Cassette Player, A/C, Dash Design, Rear Legroom.

Suggested Improvements

Up the fun factor... a lot, Make Leather seats available, Make rear wipers standard, improve road noise, Better armrests, Height adjustable seat, Longer seat track. Make a hybrid version to compete with the upcoming Fit hybrid. That pretty much covers it.