1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
This car takes a licking and keeps on ticking!
By schanteuzer1 on 06/20/13 18:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I did not realize 'til I had my "new" 1999 Saturn wagon just how badly this car had been abused. I drove the car home on fumes, it was so low on gas. I checked the oil a few weeks later. It was over 3 quarts low! Then I had a flashback to when I first went to look at the car and the first words out of the previous owner's mouth were "It hasn't been sitting." I drove it around for a bit, liked it and bought it. I seriously don't know why this car continued to run the way it was treated, but I did some regular maintenance things (like an oil change), I've had it for about 5 years now and I have not had to do any major repairs -it still runs great!

Great Car
By its_pacmang6 on 03/07/13 21:27 PM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 Saturn SL1 with the 1.9l five speed. the car sat for two years after hitting a tree and bending the frame a bit, and after two years of sitting in the weeds and snow(and no passenger window), I put plexiglass in the window changed oil and brakes and the car runs great. I bought it for a work car so Im not gunna put a lotta money in it. I know its oly got 113k but there is absolutely no leaks, its not a car to brag about but it is very reliable and gets great gas mileage.

outstanding car
By jstout1331 on 08/09/12 19:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

i bought this my 1999 SL1 for a measly 500 dollars with 200,000 miles on it... it was sopposed to be temporary. ha! now with nearly 300,000 miles on it i cant think of a reason to get rid of it. the darn thing gets 40+ MPG its pretty comfortable for a little car, and im 6 foot 5!!! the only things we have had to fix were the water pump (20 bucks), a pulley tensioner (40 bucks), and a valve cover gasket (8 bucks) this car is great. ive had many cars, not one this reliable!! kudos Saturn, its a shame GM got rid of you and left Buick still standing

To Start, or not to Start, that is the question...
By krad007 on 05/03/12 07:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I just bought a 1999 SC2 automatic coupe. It's a good little car, and hopefully will get me through a rough patch in my life. However, in approximately 1 out of every 5 starts, it won't. It behaves as if the battery is dead. The dealer I bought it from has replaced the battery, as well as the starter, and the problem remains. He did this on the advice of two auto technicians, and it was tested prior to doing so. I didn't have this issue on my 2003 L200, which was totaled in an accident in February :( I have the owners manual out in my front seat, and am doing what it tells me to do when I start it and when I park it. Any ideas? No car, no work for me!:( Thank you.

Bought new and still have 13 years later!
By jdavi25 on 01/19/12 12:05 PM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99' SL2 at 18 years old. It has been the best car! It fits me like a glove. The gas mileage has always been close, or above 40 MPG. The car is spoiled. It has all proper maintenance performed, and the car looks great inside and out. The paint has started to fade only on the rear spoiler. I am thinking of having that touched up. I do have the sunroof option, and the drains need to be cleaned once a year so they do not clog and cause leaking. I have had to replace the speakers, one power window motor, and the alternator all after the 10 year mark. When it came time to make the repairs I really did not feel bad because the car never gave me any trouble before.

My Milage Did Vary
By pjm83 on 09/22/11 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I purchased my Saturn used, with 52k miles, for $4k. Given the price of the car, I didn't demand much from it. I could forgive the uncomfortable seats, the anemic engine, the spartan interior; all I wanted was good gas milage and reliability. I was partially satisfied. A wiring problem killed the headlights at 85k. At 90k, the rear wiper stopped working. The car began burning oil in this time period as well - I was a lot less impressed with the fuel economy when I was routinely adding other fluids to the car. 100k, and the engine mounts loosened, adding more to an already-obnoxious rattling while driving. At 115k, the transmission went kaput. I had expected to drive the car further.

Best-Quality American-Made Car of the Late '90s!
By skeetervt on 07/02/11 05:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Saturn SL1 -- used -- in September 2002. It had just over 31,000 miles on it at the time. Nearly nine years and over 186,000 miles later, I won't part with it until it finally dies -- or I die, whichever comes first. Even today, with more than 217,000 miles on it, my Saturn still runs very smoothly. And aside from the usual parts replacements you'd expect to have as your car ages (brake pads, battery, shocks & struts, spark plugs and, of course, tires), it has never had a major mechanical failure. As far as I'm concerned, the 1999-2002 Saturn SL1 and SL2 were the best-quality cars that Saturn's Spring Hill, Tennessee plant ever produced.

A good, if not exceptional, sedan
By landric on 03/27/11 00:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought a SL2 new in early 1999. I went with the 5-Speed manual with a power package, ABS with traction control, alloy wheels, and the AM/FM cassette w/EQ. Overall, I had a good experience with the car. It was reasonably fun to drive, got excellent fuel mileage; 40 MPG on the highway regularly, and I never had a problem. When I had to replace the tires at about 40k I got slightly wider 60 series (rather than the stock 65 series) tires and that improved handling significantly. The manual shifted crisply and the engine was happy at higher RPMs. I put 68k miles on the car in 3 years and traded it on a new 2002 Mazda Protege ES, which was a much better car for about the same price.

Great Car
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is our 3rd S series car, and like the first 2, a very reliable ride. The S series is very simple, economical transportation. Routine maintenance is all that has been needed. This car gets around 32 MPG, 36 on the highway. We bought this one with 70k miles. It now has 200K miles. 2 sets of tires,drive belt, and and cleaned the EGR valve once. Thats it. You will get bored with it before you wear it out!

Great little car
By green saturn girl on 07/30/10 12:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

When I bought my Saturn I never expected to have it for 11 years! Hardly a problem. Tires replaced once; brakes replaced once; just keeps going! Great gas mileage. One downfall; burns a lot of oil so you have to keep up on changes, not the greatest in the snow.